Comments

• ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    What does everyone's wives have to say about this? LOL
    Currently studying for:
    MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure
    Starting small...
    002-1.jpg

This looks like what I need to start off with, what equipment is that? Looks like 2 routers and 1 switch? I like that rack, where's this from? Anyone know the answers to this?
    Currently studying for:
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITVince wrote: »
    She's not my wife yet, but next year she will be. She hates it. But she knows that in the end it'll make lots of moolah - which she doesn't seem to mind.

I didn't go out and buy this all at once. I've been putting this lab together since March of this year.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    She's not my wife yet, but next year she will be. She hates it. But she knows that in the end it'll make lots of moolah - which she doesn't seem to mind.

I didn't go out and buy this all at once. I've been putting this lab together since March of this year.

We're in the same boat, i'm not married yet but I will be in May! icon_thumright.gif and...she has no clue what I do...and she seems to think I dont have a clue either icon_redface.gif
    Currently studying for:
    We're in the same boat, i'm not married yet but I will be in May! icon_thumright.gif and...she has no clue what I do...and she seems to think I dont have a clue either icon_redface.gif

Ah, mine thought the exact same thing until I told her to go in and 'break' my network. I told her I could have it back up and running within an hour. She unplugged some serial cables, moved some ethernet cables around. I did indeed have everything back and running within 30 minutes. She doesn't doubt me now.

I'll have to get some better pictures tonight of my current configuration.
    CCNP R/S
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

Sorry, this is a family friendly forum. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    3x1721(128/32), One setup with (2) WIC-2T as a frame relay switch.
    1x2611XM
    1x2511 Access Server
    3x2950

Did i mention the wife love love loves all the noise from the fans. :P

In that case you should get a few 3660's and an old hp oscilliscope (54xxx series)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    I like that rack, where's this from? Anyone know the answers to this?

Looks like the Adam Hall desktop rack.
    I got mine from ebay for about £8 brand new
    Here's some updated pictures of my rack. I need to get a 12 port power strip to go in there now. Then I can run power to all my devices.
    CCNP R/S
  • leeseleese Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□

Are you insinuating that only boys get to work with labs?
    I'm not sure of the other women, but I would have to say I want my own:

dscn0741p.jpg

dscn0747i.jpg

dscn0748f.jpg

dscn0749y.jpg

dscn0751j.jpg

dscn0752zp.jpg

dscn0753g.jpg

skeletor front stack from top

- 18" rotating monitor
    - belkin 4 port a-b switch
    - cisco 2912: also doubles as a trackball shelf
    - cisco 2501: also double as a kb shelf
    - intel atom 330 dual core 1.6ghz rack mount 1u server
    - dell poweredge 860 1u rack mount server
    - hp proliant dl360 g4p 1u rack mount server

skeletor rear stack from top

- 8 outlet power strip: with individual lighted switches
    - 8 outlet power strip: with individual lighted switches
    - cisco 2950c
    - cisco 2950
    - cisco 2950
    - cisco 2924m: with 100fx modules
    - cisco mc3810
    - cisco 2621
    - cisco 2621
    - cisco 3745
    - cisco 3640
    - cisco 3640
    - adtran atlas 550
    Very nice, well I was just assumming that 90% of those on here are usually men. But you know what happens when you assume :)
    Currently studying for:
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Ive been working on this setup, top to bottom:
    2610xm w/ WIC-1T (DTE)
    2610xm w/ WIC-1T (DTE)
    2610 w/ Serial 4A/S (both DCE's)

If I had it to do over again i would probably just do 1 XM model, and i'd probably go with the smaller/thinner cable standard.

ccnarack.jpg
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    leese wrote: »

- cisco 2912: also doubles as a trackball shelf
    - cisco 2501: also double as a kb shelf

See people, those old 2900XL's and 2500 series routers still have a purpose. icon_cheers.gif
  • leeseleese Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very nice, well I was just assuming that 90% of those on here are usually men. But you know what happens when you assume :)

Thank you, ITV.

Yes, you have to be careful.

For you never know what evil lurks in the shadows here at techexams.
    alan2308 wrote: »
    See people, those old 2900XL's and 2500 series routers still have a purpose. icon_cheers.gif

Hey, I like to call it multitasking!

Hey Brad, nice setup!
    XM's are so cool, though! Nice and compact, and sleek. It kind of makes me think of an e30 bmw m3, compared to just an e30 325. All that extra power under the hood, and the performance that goes with it. (Sorry, I like vintage beemers)
    Vintage Iron is Cool.
  • njktnjkt Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Waiting on my digi cm32 and my catalyst 3550 next week then when i wire them all up i'll post pics...

is it too vain to want to buy another 50ft of cable just to color code console, crossover, and straight threw cables?

hmmm... icon_silent.gif
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    october222011096.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well, this is what I've got so far. It's coming along nicely, but obviously my cable management isn't the best so far.
    3 2650XM's
    2 1760's
    3 2950's
    1 3550
    1 2511AS

Setting this up and playing with it is so much fun that it's actually a little bit embarrassing. Good times. :)
    You just need a few velcro cable ties
  • mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    I'm not sure about cable management in regards to labs.

For me, IMO, I'm changing around my config all the time doing different topologies. My power cables are all done up nice, but just let my serial cables hang so far.
    mattlee09 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about cable management in regards to labs.

For me, IMO, I'm changing around my config all the time doing different topologies. My power cables are all done up nice, but just let my serial cables hang so far.

Yeah, that's how I plan on doing it. I'm not too concerned about how it looks; I'm more concerned about convenience in changing things for different topologies.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I gave up on home labs when I found GNS3. I figured that GNS3/Packet Tracer will provide me all I need, and if I wanted to touch physical hardware, I can do that at work, but seeing these pictures makes me want to go look at cisco equipments on ebay...
    pham0329 wrote: »
    I gave up on home labs when I found GNS3. I figured that GNS3/Packet Tracer will provide me all I need, and if I wanted to touch physical hardware, I can do that at work, but seeing these pictures makes me want to go look at cisco equipments on ebay...

If I had extensive hands-on experience with cisco gear, I wouldn't mind the convenience of gns3. The fact is, though, this is all new to me, and it's good experience. From dealing with ram upgrades (and seeing firsthand how bad ram behaves in a router), boot rom upgrades, upgrading ios from tftp or recovering it from rommon using xmodem or tftpdnld--it's all been a great learning experience.

Earlier tonight I found a thread on here from almost 2 years ago talking using telnet through an AS to directly connect to devices rather than connecting to the AS and using the old shift+ctrl+6, x escape sequence to switch back and forth between the AS and the various devices. That was an eye opener. Also, little things like wondering why my routers weren't starting up with the correct config, then realizing that the configuration register was set incorrectly. These are all things that I would have missed out on had I chosen the simulator route.

Again, if one has the experience already, the hardware isn't a big deal, but for me it's invaluable. For a lot of the certifications I've taken, my goal was to learn the material, pass the exam and move on. I am taking my time here and drilling down on the details because I intend to retain this information and, frankly, also because I'm enjoying the hell out of it. :)
    Same for me.
    I don't get to work with cisco equipment (I do more electronics and embedded/sensor systems development and system r&d work) and need a lot more indepth knowledge of networking
    and doing ccna and eventually ccnp is my way to learn it.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    I think I will post a pic of my home lab soon.. it's actually VERY similar to Excellent1's by the looks of it. It appears as if you're using a 3620 with a nm-4a/s as a Frame Relay switch.. If that's the case, same here. Also, I have a few xm routers, different models though, and 4 2950's, one 3550. However, you got the spiffy RJ access server, very nice! Mine is just a 2511.

Oh and I also have a skeletek rack. I actually bought some other cheap rack off ebay, but it was so tacky and wobbly that it disgusted me lol. Here I'm taking great pride in studying labbing and got this chincy rack. Sent it back and got the skeletek. I love the thing.. so sturdy.. and it's on wheels! I don't have the need to roll it around at all it just sits in one spot.. but like I said.. it's on wheels! Haha. Anyways, this thread keeps on truckin' with new people posting their labs so I'll get mine on here soon just because
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
    Yeah, I'm loving the skeletek. Although, as one other poster mentioned a long ways back--the paint on the skeletek basically explodes off the rack any time you mount something or when you put it together. If they fixed that issue, it really would be perfect. As it stands, it's more than enough for my needs and the chipping paint doesn't affect the functionality at all, so it's all good.

As for my rack, I am using one of the 2650xm's with a nm 4 a/s for frame relay. I have a couple of 2600's (non-xm) that I will throw in the rack later on just to have them there and I'll probably switch the nm to one of them. For now, the pdu I have is 10 outlets, so I've stuck with 10 devices. I can always buy another one later, but I have enough racked for the topologies I'll need for a while. I would like to snag another 3550, though. That's probably just gear greed, as I find myself wanting to add to my lab all the time even though the actual need is already met. :p
  • tai chitai chi Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is what am currently using for my study and will write the spec out later
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    This is long over due but here it is

from the top down
    ---lab---
    1760 2x wic T1
    1760 wic T1, wic Ethernet
    1760 wic T1, wic Ethernet
    2620XM NM 4AS, 2x wic T1
    3620 2x NM 1e1r2w 4x wic T1 (yup ive got Token Ring interfaces!)
    Digi PortServer TS16
    --end lab---

--home network---
    24 port patch panel for home network
    3550ei
    2611xm running CME NM2V , VIC 2FXS, VIC 2 FXO
    Cisco Pix 515E, VPN Accellerator, 6x Ethernet
    Windows 7 Workstation
    CENTOS Server
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    lab1a.jpg

Well, here's my lab. Fairly simple, nothing out of the ordinary. Would love to spice it up at some point! It's definitely getting the job done for my CCNP studies though. From top to bottom:

-2611XM (wic-2T)
    -2610XM (wic-2T)
    -2610XM (wic-2T)
    -2511 (access server)
    -3620 (has a NM-4A/S, I use it as my frame-relay switch)
    -2950 (used for... switching)
    -2950 (see above)
    -3550 (can do routing, yee-haw)

dsc0286k.jpg

Bonus shot: The "easy" button next to where I lab.. for those that don't know when you hit it, it says "that was easy." Unfortunately, I've only hit it twice in 6 months... haha jk.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • zimskizzimskiz Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    3 X 2950 Standard Image
    1 x 2600XM 32/16mb

First CCNA lab, curently studying in sem 3 on a local academy.icon_wink.gif
  • mr_willmr_will Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mine is not neat because it gets used just about every morning and sometimes in the evening.

Express 520 switch isn't mine, it was left over from a project.
    SR520
    2621 wic 1T, wic 2A/S
    2611 wic 2A/S
    2611 wic 2A/S
    2620xm with NM 4 A/S
    Digi CM32 access server (I love this thing)
    2610 wic 1T
    PC used for my TFTP server, dual NIC's so I have remote access to it as well.

I would like to add another 3550 and in the near future I will add a 28xx router for some voice lab work.

lab-rack.jpg
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234

2x Cisco 2620XM
    1x Cisco 2610XM
    1x WS-C2950- 24
    1x WS-C2950- 12
    2x WIC1T
    1x NM 4 A/s