Post Your Lab (PICS)

Comments

• alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Couldn't look worse than my stack of stuff sitting on top of a bookcase
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • OscedumirOscedumir Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    vanquish23 wrote: »
    Sorry will get some pics up soon. Dont have a rack so it looks like crap. Also, just ordered another 3550 EMI PoE switch with another ASync Octal cable because I ran out of console ports.

May I ask where you ordered your 3550 EMI PoE switch from? I want one of those for my lab setup without having to break the bank to get one
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    I got it from Cisco Certification: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, used Cisco router, Cisco switch, Cisco routers. for 169.99. They beat ebay prices as well, and every time I have ordered from them its only a scratch or two and never had any problems. When I first bought my switches I forgot the 3550 switches were layer 3 routing so now I have 9 routers. Oopps :P
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
    Added pictures to my first reply. Sorry about that. Excuse the mess, its under a fold out table for now until I can afford the shipping cost of a rack.

Edit: Just made a offer on ebay for a 3745 router and two 3550 switches with EMI image 48 ports. They wanted 450 for all three. Dang my Cisco fetish.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
    Finally got all the optic fiber "cables" needed for the switches.
    Still mostly sitting on top of the bookcase

2950c
    2950c
    3550fx
    2950sx
    2950G

on the right
    4x 2600xm's
    3x 2950T

2.png

the bedroom lab (mostly to be sold , just going to keep the 1751's).
    Good example of what you can get for cheap ebay if you aren't in a hurry.
    Cost of this pile of 1700's and 2600's was $268 including p&h and fuel for pickup

3.png

Not shown
    3745 ,3640 ,3660 , 3x 2950, 2x 2950g
  • chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    Here is my humble setup
    2x 2950
    2950 12port
    cyclades ts200 access server
    2620 with NM-4A/S
    2x 2610xm each with a wic-2t & t1 card

I still plan on getting another router prob a 2650xm. If I go for my ccnp I will scrap the 3524 and 12 port 2950 for 3550's. Also need to upgrade the routers have 48mb/256mb memory kits just haven't installed them yet.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5_HrbvmX7TA/Txt0sQR-g7I/AAAAAAAAAqQ/vK2fuk50bYM/s640/Network Rack.JPG[/IMG]
    Nice!

don't need to upgrade the boot rom as well ?
    My 2600xm's won't recognise more than 128MB without getting an upgraded bootloader(bootrom).
    Can run a few versions of 12.4t with 128MB ram(k9 if you want ssh)

Could mount the brackets on the other end if you want the routers to be easily accessible.
  • chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    I have the upgraded bootroms too
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    alxx wrote: »
    the bedroom lab (mostly to be sold , just going to keep the 1751's).
    Good example of what you can get for cheap ebay if you aren't in a hurry.
    Cost of this pile of 1700's and 2600's was $268
    including p&h and fuel for pickup

I don't understand the popularity of the 1700 series of routers for labs. Could could someone please explain?
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't understand the popularity of the 1700 series of routers for labs. Could could someone please explain?

I have a 1751 & a 1721, got em real cheap. I'm using them in my topologies for the LAN segments and basic routing configurations. I have 2-2620XM's to do things like EIGRP, OPSF, & Frame relay. The 1721 & 1751 will be used for my spokes. They were quite a bit cheaper than putting out more for 2620's.
  • angel.oaangel.oa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They can be dirt cheap and the 1721 with the right ios can be a decent ccnp router
    Currently reading :study:

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
    Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide
    JNCIA - Junos Study Guide - Parts 1 & 2
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

They're dirt cheap as already mentioned, and the dirt cheap 1721's and 1760's can run 12.4T.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the information guys :)
    cheap, can upgrade the ram and flash, can run recent ios - 12.4t(1721 and 1751 and 1760 - only)
    can easily stack them (see picture above)

the 1751 and 1760 can take pdvm's and vic's (voice interface cards) to do voip

They are also very quiet , don't take up much space and 1760's are rackable.
    You can't use them as a frame relay switch but they can do back to back hybrid frame relay

Back-to-Back Frame Relay Hybrid Switching  [Frame Relay] - Cisco Systems
    Cisco: Routers - Problems with frame relay (Lab scenario)
    Back-to-Back Frame Relay* [Frame Relay] - Cisco Systems
    Back-to-Back Frame Relay Hybrid Switching* [Frame Relay] - Cisco Systems

configuring frame relay on 1700's
    Cisco 1700 Series Router Software Configuration Guide - Configuring Frame Relay* [Cisco 1700 Series Modular Access Routers] - Cisco Systems

Cisco IOS Wide-Area Networking Configuration Guide, Release 12.1 - Configuring Frame Relay - Cisco Systems
  • SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    Wow this is an old thread, lot's of routers with actual serial cables! Here was the hardware we used to build our Cisco 360 rack.

Equipment:
    4x3750G
    3x3825
    1x3845
    2x2811
    1x2620 (FRS)
    1x1841 (Console router)
    1xSentry power switch
    3xRack power strips
    10xWIC2T serial cards
    10xSmart serial cables
    16xEthernet cables
    Rack Rail ears
    1xChatsworth Rack
    16xconsole Octopus cables
    2xPanduit wire management

It wasn't racked yet in this picture but I will post a few others once it was along with the IPexpert racks as well

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    This was my main rack which was cabled up for the IPexpert topology and workbooks (Frame Relay switch not shown)

4x 3560G
    3x 2600 backbone routers
    7x 2800 routers
    1x 3845 router
    1x 3725 Frame-relay switch
    16x T1 V2 WIC's
    2x Copper GB SFP's
    1x Fiber GB SFP
    Sentry commander
    Terminal Server for console access

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
    SubnetZero wrote: »
    This was my main rack which was cabled up for the IPexpert topology and workbooks (Frame Relay switch not shown)

4x 3560G
    3x 2600 backbone routers
    7x 2800 routers
    1x 3845 router
    16x T1 V2 WIC's
    2x Copper GB SFP's
    1x Fiber GB SFP
    Sentry commander

Very nice! I like the cable management as well. Wish I could afford 7 2800 routers.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Great cable management. Very nice rack. Do you have a somewhat side view? It looks like it is built into the wall next to a window. Very clean install, though.

I have to say that has got to be one of the best looking racks I've seen, cable management wise. I've seen some great ones, too.

I have to put mine all back together and I'll take some updated pics. Cable management isn't one of my strong points, though. But, I think I'll use some of these as examples and improve mine! :)

SubnetZero wrote: »

4x 3560G
    3x 2600 backbone routers
    7x 2800 routers
    1x 3845 router
    16x T1 V2 WIC's
    2x Copper GB SFP's
    1x Fiber GB SFP
    Sentry commander

• DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You wouldn't need much more if any for a CCNA Cert
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Nice looking labs everyone! Now I cant wait to get home and post pictures of mine :)
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Can't wait for a few more days until I can post some pictures up of mine. I really want to now but it would spoil the fun!
    Can't wait for a few more days until I can post some pictures up of mine. I really want to now but it would spoil the fun!

Finally ready to show it off.

20U Skeletek C20U-HD
    3x 2950
    2511RJ
    3x 2620XM w/ WIC 2T & WIC T1
    2610XM w/ WIC 2T & 1T
    3725 w/ NM 4 A/S

photofeb1911214pm.jpg

photofeb1911221pm.jpg
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^ Adult-material not suited for minors. That's a lonely Power strip below the rack. What is the logical topology of the lab?

Get a wide-angel shot, showing your desktop too. Sorry, I love seeing what my peers have to work with, computer wise. I don't know why either *shrugs* icon_study.gif
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    ^ Adult-material not suited for minors. That's a lonely Power strip below the rack. What is the logical topology of the lab?

Get a wide-angel shot, showing your desktop too. Sorry, I love seeing what my peers have to work with, computer wise. I don't know why either *shrugs* icon_study.gif

Let me try and clean up the desk a bit and I'll get a wide angle picture for you guys.

The lonely power strip on the floor is if I want to plug a laptop charger or cell phone charger etc. in and don't want to fool around behind the rack. I just have a switch I flip on for just that power strip.

Still working on the topology. Here is how I pictured setting it up in my head. This was literally a 5 minute rendition so I'm sure it will change. Right now I just have all the FastEthernet from the Routers plugged into SW3 to ensure they're working LOL.

The 3 Routers currently sitting ontop of the rack are not part of my setup. They're on eBay at the moment with about 8 hours left.
    taylorulrichhomelabtopo.jpg

photofeb1923143pm.jpg
    photofeb1923219pm.jpg
    photofeb1923212pmimauabda.jpg
    That desk looks way to clean.

Nice lab!
  • dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    While it's not as nice as most I've seen here... here's my basic, "Lights Out" Lab...

DSCF7119.jpg

I know it's probably not quite robust enough for every lab for CCNA, but it should do for most of it (since I already have quite a bit of real-world experience). The best part... it was all free. I got the equipment from my last 2 companies... and from other "crap" I had laying around the house... :)

So, here's how it's setup (without the network diagram)
    WAP-54G - configured as a wireless bridge to enable management from outside the lab and access to the internet.
    1721 - ROAST (with 2 VLANs) and T1WIC to T1 crossover
    1720 - single interface and T1WIC to T1 crossover
    Netgear FSM-726 - managed switch connecting all of it together
    2nd Netgear FSM726 - not used (had plans to use it as second switch, but just decided to use VLAN's to segregate all LAN's
    Linksys VoIP router (T-mobile @home service) - used ONLY as a wireless AP. :)
    ESXi 5 server
    -Dual Xeon 3.0ghz
    -16GB RAM
    -500G SATA drive
    -Dual 10/100/1000 NICs
    -Serial port for Cisco rollover cable (able to send to different VM's when needed)

I have several VM's that provide different services, i.e. imaging, DHCP, FreeNas, etc. I had 2 domain controllers (1 for simulated Datacenter and 1 for simulated Office), but decided to delete them and use DHCP services on the 1700 routers instead.

I admin it from my laptop in the family room. :) I use WoL so that I don't waste electricity when the server is on and not being used. It's housed in my "office" which ended up turning into a storage/junk room... that's why there's crap all over. I have a nice network rack in my garage, but I don't know if I can fit it in this room... not to mention, it would be a PITA to carry it upstairs. ;)
  • fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
  • dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    fsanyee wrote: »
    nice rack icon_wink.gif

LOL... I'm guessing that's a sarcastic remark about mine... but... THANKS! LOL... I just used what I could get my hands on. Like I said.. I have a nice network rack in the garage (42u, I think)... but I don't have the energy to cart it upstairs and buying shelves, etc. This worked in a pinch... LOL

Edit: you can see in the pictures where I drilled holes in it to mount the switch. I had to move it to be able to sit my server in there. LOL

If you're talking about the post above me... I agree 100%... I WISH I had a rack like that. LOL
  • getitngogetitngo Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Quick lab update

2509 - Access Server
    2x 2610 - 1 WIC-2T
    1760 - 1 WIC-2T
    2610 -NM-4A/S

Dell Poweredge 1950 w ESXi
    In Progress:
    Degree in Engineering
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice setup!
    2017 Certification Goals: