Comments

• mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My lab consists of:

2x 2950
    1x 2621XM
    1x 1721
    2x 1760

I should probably get one more switch.

Also, I would eventually like to mount it all in a rack, but sitting on top of the filing cabinet works for me.

7922960422_1409555372.jpg
  • mtehonicamtehonica Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys! There are some really nice labs on here so I thought I'd post some pics of my little lab since I finally managed to get everything cleaned up. Currently studying for ICND2 exam. I only have (3) 3550's and (1) 2650XM right now. Waiting to get a good price on some more 2600XMs on eBay.

img9381g.th.jpg

img9384j.th.jpg

img9385l.th.jpg

img9389i.th.jpg

img9390v.th.jpg

img9394s.th.jpg
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here's a complete update of my rack. All fully cabled to the patch panel. All console connections are done, too. Plus, I got a shot of my 2nd rack which will be primarily voice and home network.

2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    Just moved my kit to a 42u rack. I appear to have filled it with networking kit, so I'll need another rack for the VM kit etc.

photoacz.jpg

Just waiting for the bits to build a serial cable for the APC power strip so I can reset it and have full power switching over IP
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    That is one heck of a lab :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Holy crap, look at all these nice racks!
  • dirtyonekanobidirtyonekanobi Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Saspro - - That lab is AMAZING. Ridiculous
    Surely most of these racks aren't for just CCNA?

If they are, I feel significantly under equipped ;)
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MikeyBikes: Yeah, no kidding. This is my equipment. It looks like my cabling have not been dropped, yet.

3550-24-PWR. Running 12.2(44)SE6 - EMI. Giggity.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Where's your rack? You can't just have that 3550 sitting on a table, now can you?
    One thing at a time! I just got it upgraded from what it was, to what it is :) It was a long project which made me realize - You can't send IP traffic over the console port. Then I had to make a cable, blah blah blah. Then figure why it wouldn't work. Each step was a learning experience. One, I'm glad I did.

Mostly because the ios was kept in a folder, within the flash. So I had to find commands to copy/delete/force >.> It was fun.

I'm going to mod this thing too. Maybe put it underwater with some EK blocks >.>
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Haha nice! :) Once I pass CCNA I'll look for a couple 3550s to add to my lab.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    @Saspro - - That lab is AMAZING. Ridiculous

It is a tad over the top. Mainly due to cheap routers online & being given a pile of routers from a mate who runs a recycling company (as well as the 42u rack).

Still need more switches though, I may get rid of the the 7200 VXR's to free up 6u for some more 3550's & 2950's.

I got my second 3550 in!

It came with the fiber module. And had to learn how to do a password reset, without it being enabled. Not to mention it came with a treat - the old configuration file! Score!

It looked like it was in a pretty dirty place, I used all my canned air just to try to clean up the dirty dust. Gah.

• Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ciscolab.jpg

Nothing real fancy right now since I'm just focusing on the CCENT; two 2950s and two 2612s (non-XM) running 12.4. The 2612s use T1 for the serial interface instead of the traditional ports, and I do plan on adding a XM router to the mix within a month or two, so I'm considering shopping for a couple WIC 1T cards and the proper cables (they can be obtained for cheap in my area).
    11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    lol, congrats on the 3550~!!! damn, this thread makes me jealous all the time =p

=/ hate the dirty part though!!
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
    I'm trying to buy the switches first, as I practically told myself I wouldn't progress until I bought switches. I have 2 more to go, then I'll feel "okay" to continue beyond CCNA:R+S

Until then, I'm building myself a small 3-computer case. I spent a couple hours wandering walmart and LOWES to find something capable, yet small and light.

I just cut out the backports using the trusty dremel + diamond wheel. Liquid plastic is a bit hot. I also drilled the LED holes. I'll need to buy Caulk as mine turned solid :\. Note it's not all professional-looking because I didn't take the time / never did this before / working in my office.

Im thinking of not cutting slots for the PCI riser cards. I don't plan on doing anything that it would need the riser. I might just to make sure I have a backup if a NIC dies.

I'll need to wire a ATX splitter. I plan on having the Powersupply External. To save weight. Just air cooled. These aren't being Overclocked, or anything like that. It's just to generate cheap network traffic without taxing my limping working computer :)

• staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gathered all the lab supplies today. 3 2950g 48 port switches, 1 3750G 24 port, and a HP DV7800 with 8GB of RAM. The PC is running GNS3 on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit and has 4 NICs. Pretty fun way to spend a Friday at work!

And in case you are wondering what wouldn't have been as fun of a Friday...here is my office -

• TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Until then, I'm building myself a small 3-computer case. I spent a couple hours wandering walmart and LOWES to find something capable, yet small and light.

Wouldn't filling a decent pc full of intel ethernet cards and running ESXi on it not be a better option? That way you could generate alot more computers worth of traffic.
    Yes, doing that would be a better option. But I was looking for a cheap solution. 3 PCs is more than enough to do some low-key stuff. I had the computers, just need to do a few things to make it work!

• krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    staticz wrote: »
    Gathered all the lab supplies today. 3 2950g 48 port switches, 1 3750G 24 port, and a HP DV7800 with 8GB of RAM. The PC is running GNS3 on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit and has 4 NICs. Pretty fun way to spend a Friday at work!

Nice setup, minus the diablo 3 box.. That game was a waste of $60
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
    Sad and true.

I was just speaking with a steam buddy. He just got Borderlands 2. He said its a lot better, a lot smoother. Torchlight is supposed to be the Diablo 3 we wanted :P

I enjoyed Borderlands 1, but I still have that need for a top-down RPG. I have to apologize to my soul for buying the Collector's Edition of D3 icon_sad.gif

I'll probably revisit D3 in a year. I stopped playing after I realized that I was farming for gold for the Auction house - not for the loot.

• oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I totally regret buying my lab now icon_sad.gif Especially as I just spent loads on my console server.
    There's dozens of 3550s/3750s at work and plenty of routers I can just use to build a lab there and connect them to a console server... icon_sad.gif
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    That console server shouldn't have run you more than $60 or $70 on eBay. You didn't buy it brand new, did you?
    It was $60, but I had to pay $60 for shipping (to the UK) and then another uhmm $35 for import tax. Regret it now. Oh well!
    Lab:
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    That sucks having to pay that much for shipping and import, but it still beats the $1200 or so it costs new! Plus you can always sell it on eBay and recoup at least SOME of the money.

At least this way you always know that you have unfettered access to a solid Cisco lab that you can use for your studies. I would never want to rely on work or someone else for that sort of thing. Chin up! :D
    oli356 wrote: »
    It was $60, but I had to pay $60 for shipping (to the UK) and then another uhmm $35 for import tax. Regret it now. Oh well!

If you're selling it I could be interested
    If it works, toss up some pictures, and tell people it's for sale. Or what's for sale. You may want to keep things, sell as a whole bundle, etc...

Going to speak to one of the guys and see if I get the lab into the network so I can access it from home. If I can, I will probably sell mine :)
    Lab:
  • TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    This is as good a place as any to ask. I have a 3 x 2600 router setup. I've only got 2 x Wic-1s though so i can only have a single serial connection. Is it possible to do frame relay over ethernet instead?