Post Your Lab (PICS)

Comments

• SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    Hopefully I will be getting the rest of the switches I ordered this week along with my 12U rack so I can take some pictures finally.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't see the octal cable. I was wondering. because I see a single blue cable connected to something else.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @ Ciscoman2012 Where did you get your desk, I've been looking for something like that for a while.
    It looks like the last desk I had. It came from Office Max. Im not sure if it's the same desk! Looks mighty close though.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tritium wrote: »
    Technical Pro PS-B9 AC Switch (Used for Cisco gear)

Very nice rack! I just ordered this exact power strip for my rack.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • TritiumTritium Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very nice rack! I just ordered this exact power strip for my rack.

Thanks! It's a good little unit. It def makes for easier cable management.

On a side note for all my fellow Cisco CLI enthusiasts, If anyone is looking for a layer 3 managed gig switch...def check out the Cisco SG300 switches. I've been having a blast setting up my 10 port. Firmware upgrade gives it Cisco TextView CLI. It isn't full Cisco IOS, but it's close enough. Great for home!icon_thumright.gif
    2014 Cert Goals:
    ICND1 [X]
    Done!
    ICND2 [ ] Workin on it
    My CCNA Lab...A work in Progress
  • ayseafayseaf Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello

I am trying to build my real cisco lab , I am already bought

2 x cisco 3560 switch
    1 x cisco 2950T switch
    1 x cisco 2621xm
    1 x cisco 2611xm
    2 x cisco 1841
    1 x digi 32cm as access server
    2 x wic 1t
    1 x NM-8A/S

please any one can help me let me know if i need something else , also do i replace 2950t with 3550 better .

Thanks for all
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Nice Asyeaf, no need to replace a 2950 with a 3550 if you already have 2 L3 switches.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    It looks like the last desk I had. It came from Office Max. Im not sure if it's the same desk! Looks mighty close though.

Im pretty sure when I used to work for Office Depot we had a few desks that were similar to that also.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    HI Guys,

I just want to know; What is everyones views on using GNS3 to emulate cisco routers and then purchase physical switches to use in a lab enviroment and then hook them up via a testing machine (Just to save me some $$)

Cheers.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You setup the learning environment that is within your means. If you can't afford to buy 6-10 routers or 4 3550 Catalyst Switches instead of 3560/3750, there's nothing wrong with that. For the 5% you're not able to do with GNS3 and switches, you can get rack rental time.

Is it nice to have a complete lab, sure, but GNS3 and the switches is going to be sufficient for CCNA to CCIE R&S. I know a guy on another forum that's all he used.

http://ciscofun.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/the-story/
    What lab equipment (Routers and Switch) setup would be the cheapeast and best option to invest in to help pass with CCNA/CCNA:Security/CCNA:Voce studies?
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you only plan on getting Associate level certs, just get packet tracer and play around in GNS3.

If you're going to be moving up to professional and expert level the lowest switches you should get is 3550s. If you have the money, get 3560s.

Don't buy any routers. If you have a pretty decent laptop or desktop, you can run GNS3 in Windows along with VirtualBox. GNS3 runs better in Linux.

Get a few USB to Ethernet NICs and connect them to some switches.
    Well, for CCNA:Security there might be issues with using ASA on GNS3. I say this as it's getting a lot better than before. I would definitely say going virtualization is the best bet otherwise. Unfortantly, I don't entirely know how far you can go with virtualization/emulation within the realms of "CCNA:Security" or "CCNA:Voice".

Switches, you'll need to invest with cold hard cash. GNS3 doesn't emulate switches to the point you'd be able to manage them like a router.

Thanks for your input guys. What cheap models of switches will work? 2950? Would they be acceptable?
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Updated Pic

From top to bottom:

SonicWall TZ210
    4x 1841 - WICs
    2x 2621xm 256Mb - WIC-2T
    3x 2610xm 256Mb - NM-4A/S
    2x 3750
    2x 3550
    2x 2960
    1x 3745

Just need to get a few faulty modules squared away.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    StussyNz wrote: »
    Thanks for your input guys. What cheap models of switches will work? 2950? Would they be acceptable?

See my signature link for lab suggestions.

• JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Stevo086 - very nice!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    If you only plan on getting Associate level certs, just get packet tracer and play around in GNS3.

If you're going to be moving up to professional and expert level the lowest switches you should get is 3550s. If you have the money, get 3560s.

Don't buy any routers. If you have a pretty decent laptop or desktop, you can run GNS3 in Windows along with VirtualBox. GNS3 runs better in Linux.

Get a few USB to Ethernet NICs and connect them to some switches.

I agree on the switches part, but you can easily get a 26xx/36xx series for the cost or even less than the cost of buying a bunch of usb/nic cards...
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Question about lab equipment: I see a lot of people with Routers that are the 2600 series, thing is, I have two 2800 series routers. Are people taking the 2600 over the 2800 because of the price difference? Is the only thing different between the 26 and 28, SDM? I'm asking because I want to get a third router but not sure which one I should be getting. I bought one (v12.4) and got the other from work (v12.2). I plan on continue with this equipment up to the CCIE level if all goes well.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just the price difference, that is all.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Question about lab equipment: I see a lot of people with Routers that are the 2600 series, thing is, I have two 2800 series routers. Are people taking the 2600 over the 2800 because of the price difference? Is the only thing different between the 26 and 28, SDM? I'm asking because I want to get a third router but not sure which one I should be getting. I bought one (v12.4) and got the other from work (v12.2). I plan on continue with this equipment up to the CCIE level if all goes well.

2800's are better than the 2600xm, only reason I'm stocked up on 2600xms and 1841s is the fact 2800's are still a bit pricey for me.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • ayseafayseaf Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's mean the 2 x 3560 and 2 x 2950 enough for ccnp switch study ??
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    For now

3 x 1841
    2 x 3550
    2 x 2950

Will add ASA 5510's later and more 1841 and 3560's

Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here you go an INE style R&S lab, scruffy as hell but complete

Andy
    Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013
    I've finally got all my piece of my lab together. Currently setup following Nuggets ICND2 videos.

I got the cabinet for free a few years ago when I was closing down one of our smaller locations I work for. The networking team I was giving all the stuff to after I tore it down said they didn't want it. So I took it home! I never expected to see it actually containing networking equipment of my own. Just figured I'd make a quick buck off something the company was going to just throw away. Good thing I never got around to selling it!

In order:
    Digi 32 CM - Pushed back for easier access to cables if I ever plug in anything new.
    1x2851
    3x2811
    1x3560 24port PoE
    3x3550 48port
    1x2950 12port

4 routers and five switches total. I had a Juniper router in there too but I had to take because I was short on space. Maybe another day...

frontclosed.jpg

frontvy.jpg

backuf.jpg

Yes, pictures were taken as everything was powering up. I was pretty happy to finally have this cabinet completed! I'm kind of OCD about my cables so not being able to have anything tied down was annoying me like crazy!
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Nice lab! I was planning on posting in this thread today for more pictures too. Hopefully others will post more pictures. Mine is still in pieces, and being set back up or I would of snapped some pictures.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
    Patel128 wrote: »
    Nice lab! I was planning on posting in this thread today for more pictures too. Hopefully others will post more pictures. Mine is still in pieces, and being set back up or I would of snapped some pictures.

Thanks! Yeah, I had to go digging for this thread to post some pictures. It's been awhile since anyone updated it. My lab was in pieces for two to three weeks before I got anything.
  • mgates67mgates67 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My humble little home lab, finally almost done. From top to bottom: PDU, Digi CM32, 2x 2950, 2x 2514, 3x 2611XM. I'm waiting for an NM-4A/S so I can use the last 2611XM. Now I only need to add another switch or two. Any suggestions besides the 2950s?

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get a 3550 for future studies on L3 switching