Post Your Lab (PICS)

Comments

• JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Good lord! You know that you don't need all that for icnd2 right?

It's not just for CCNA, so it grows as needed.
    FloOz wrote: »
    Nice @JeanM, my skeletek rack just came in the other day. I got the 16U one though. Gonna have to take some pics and post up since my lab has grown by a few devices.

I thought that maybe I got a wrong one in the mail, was expecting it to be taller :) You'll love it, quality is great!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    JeanM wrote: »
    Got my Skeletek rack today, couldn't help but test fit the devices in it. Will need to move things around a bit and clean up wiring.

Looks great man and nice EVO on the calendar behind the rack!
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    It's not just for CCNA, so it grows as needed.
    Set for CCIE there. Wouldn't want to be running that in my house that's for sure. The noise and electricity bill, ahh!
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JeanM - what's your device list?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Bill3rdshiftBill3rdshift Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Reading: Incident Response & Disaster Recovery, Server 2008r2 Administration, IT Security Interviews Exposed
    Telecom Info Page: http://telecom.tbi.net
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    oli356 wrote: »
    Set for CCIE there. Wouldn't want to be running that in my house that's for sure. The noise and electricity bill, ahh!

ccnp for sure, have the books already :) I only leave 1 switch on, rest are on when needed .
    Looks great man and nice EVO on the calendar behind the rack!

MAC_Addy wrote: »
    JeanM - what's your device list?

It's really basic, cm32 at the top, followed by 6 3950/t switches, 2 2621 routers, 2 2620 routers, pix firewall, 2 3620 routers (will get rid of these two to make room), 4 3640 routers, 1 3725 router and 1 3550 switch.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    JeanM - VERY NICE lab rack you got there. The skeletek's are in my opinion the best lab rack. If your device list is basic then mine is pretty much nothing. :)
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ccnp for sure,

It's really basic, cm32 at the top, followed by 6 3950/t switches, 2 2621 routers, 2 2620 routers, pix firewall, 2 3620 routers (will get rid of these two to make room), 4 3640 routers, 1 3725 router and 1 3550 switch.

Yeah, you don't even need that much for ccnp. When are you taking icnd2?
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jean, awesome tower you have there! I just picked up some extra equipment, and probably should post an updated pic.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Yeah, you don't even need that much for ccnp. When are you taking icnd2?
    While you don't need it sometimes more gear is beneficial. I'm studying towards my CCNP switch, while I only have 4 switches I use 9 routers to act as hosts and use them for VRRP/GLGP. Will come in handy for my route exam as well. While I would never buy this much kit for a home lab (I had 4 switches, 4 routers) if it's available to use for free then fine. If money wasn't an issue, then I would have bought a lot more equipment.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I’m in the process of rebuilding my lab after Sandy destroyed our finished basement. I posted some pics in my CCVP thread but figured that I’d add them here as well.

labn01.jpg
    labn02.jpg
    labn04.jpg
    labn05.jpg
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    nice setup pitviper! where'd you get the rack?
    CCNP R/S

Here's the latest picture of my lab. I just got a 2921 that I'll be adding soon. Getting prepared for the next level of certifications.
    CCNP R/S
    Here is the latest version of my lab with a few new items (Cisco 1841, 2522, 2501, and DLI Web Power Switch 6).

20121226_184149_zpsef51bfda.jpg

And for remote management of lab equipment power up and shutdown:

20121226_184306_zps5668af12.jpg
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    oli356 wrote: »
    While you don't need it sometimes more gear is beneficial. I'm studying towards my CCNP switch, while I only have 4 switches I use 9 routers to act as hosts and use them for VRRP/GLGP. Will come in handy for my route exam as well. While I would never buy this much kit for a home lab (I had 4 switches, 4 routers) if it's available to use for free then fine. If money wasn't an issue, then I would have bought a lot more equipment.

I'm all about simplicity now. I was a gear junkie for a while but then realized that it was pointless if you have gns3/dynamips. I passed ccnp switch with just two 3550's, and four 3745's in gns3. Plus there are several good free labs available online.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm planning to take the same approach. Gear is expensive, and it eventually becomes obsolete. Unlike computers you cannot recycle them as easily for other uses. GNS3 + switches seems like the best approach for the CCNP series, or at least the cheapest method.
    nice setup pitviper! where'd you get the rack?

Thanks! It was an old rack that we had at a storage facility at work.
    MAC_Addy wrote:
    Here's the latest picture of my lab. I just got a 2921 that I'll be adding soon. Getting prepared for the next level of certifications.

Looks good! But where are you going to fit the 2921 :)
    That's a good question - I believe I need to get the skeletek extension rack.
    CCNP R/S
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313

Don't tell me that's an HP Procurve as your main switch in the smaller rack. I hate them with a passion! lol
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here's and update on my lab.

2x 2950s
    1x 2610XM
    2x 2514s
    1x 2610XM (Frame Relay)

My next investment is definitely going to be a digicm32 access server and 2x 3550s.

flooz-albums-lab+pics-picture3363-2x-2950s-1x-2610xm-2x-2514s-1x-2610xm-frame-relay-12-27-12.jpg
    Don't tell me that's an HP Procurve as your main switch in the smaller rack. I hate them with a passion! lol
    It is. I've never had any problems with HP products.
    CCNP R/S
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've gotta say.. some of these home labs are INSANE! It makes me crack up LOL. I can't even imagine the amount of heat some of these pump out... I only have:
    2x2950
    2x3550
    and GNS3

That got me through my CCNP Route+Switch+Tshoot...
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    I've gotta say.. some of these home labs are INSANE! It makes me crack up LOL. I can't even imagine the amount of heat some of these pump out... I only have:
    2x2950
    2x3550
    and GNS3

That got me through my CCNP Route+Switch+Tshoot...

Right! I can't even imaging the noise and the electricity bill. My wife would kick my egress interface royally. Unless you're going for ccie, I don't see the need for any more than two routers, two switches, and gns3.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's not just a matter of passing the exam and being done with it, at least for me it's not. Personally, I have used gns3 and packet tracer however I find them to get boring and dull. Learning in a home lab environment teaches you so much more and gives you valuable experience (if you are not already in a networking role that is). You run into many more technical issues when using a home lab that you otherwise would never have learned by using a network simulator. I have had the opportunity to speak with 2 CCIE's and they both told me the same thing, that getting a home lab is invaluable for someone who is trying to break into a networking role. So honestly an electrical bill is the least of my worries, not that my lab consumes that much anyways :) lol
    ^^^^Agreed. Without my home lab, there are concepts I would not have understood in my endeavor for more knowledge. The stuff I've learned this year has applied directly to my job. And if you are worried about your lab consuming power, turn everything on only when you need to use it..
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have always been lucky in having lots of spare equipment at work to play with. So my home labs have never been that impressive. One of the companies I worked at had a complete server room dedicated to study that you could help you self to the equipment.
    GNS3 is fine for routers, but you need real switches to study switching, and to learn STP you need 3 or 4 minimum to see it working in action.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I do agree with having physical gear. I love having the routers and switches sitting right next to me. I need to use a kill-a-watt and see how much power all of my gear uses. In the end, everyone should do what they think is best for me, for me its having the gear. I really need to finish up my Linux+ and get my lab all up and running. I sure do miss studying for cisco.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Shoot, Patel128, I know your feeling so. bloody. much.

It's exciting to learn about new technologies, love it. But my heart isn't in Linux... I think at this moment it's learning the commands, not theory... nothing I can 'visualize' and make it my own. Other than scripting, but I don't like programming :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

FloOz wrote: »
    getting a home lab is invaluable for someone who is trying to break into a networking role.

I think that's what it is for me, I've been doing this for a while and I don't need​ a home lab as much as I used to. Plus I have an even better lab at work icon_cool.gif