Options

Post Your Lab (PICS)

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    wgroom wrote: »
    LOL, thanks Jean! I am looking for another 3750 to practice HSRP, and would like to find a few 1841s to add to the rack. What I really need right now is a NAS. Currently using a WD 1tb USB drive slaved off the E3000, but I would like to tie a NAS into the ESXi environment.

I am using Linux unRAID for my NAS in the 2u case above, free license lets you add 2 data drives and 1 parity drive, so I am running 3x 3tb. The 4u case is running VmWare esxi for labbing os related functions.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Clem25Clem25 Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you all have any suggestions for someone like myself just getting into IT on what I should use for setting up a small lab in my house? I'm finishing up my A+ in 2 weeks, then moving on to the Net+. Currently interviewing for a couple help desk positions at a couple local hospitals.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Assuming you are not wanting to go the Unix route, you just need to learn Windows really well. You've got a laptop/desktop otherwise you probably wouldn't be posting so lab through the Windows 7 and Windows 8 exams and reassess after that.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    kalvindeanekalvindeane Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please excuse the dust and cabling. The lab is being moved to a new location soon so I've allowed it to become a bit of a mess.

TP5kG4v.jpg

4x 2821
    5x 2811
    2x 1841
    4x 2600XM

2x 2950
    1x 3550
    2x 6509

1x APC 7953 MasterSwitch PDU for remote power control.

Pair of raspberry Pi's as well as VMs on my desktop and laptop for client/servers.

I have IOS 15.1 AdvEnterprise for the Gen1 routers but 8 of them don't have enough DRAM for the image.
    Waiting to find a good price so I can upgrade them. :)
  • Options
    Abdul201288Abdul201288 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My Cisco Stooffs :P

In the Cabinet:
    Cisco 2950 24 port Switch.
    Cisco 3524XL 24 port with 2 GBICs Switch
    Cisco 1760 Router.
    Dell PowerEdge R200. Specs are: 1 Dual Core Xeon 3.00 GHz, 4 GB of ram, 250 GB windows drive, 500 GB backups. Running Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise.
    Dell PowerEdge 2950 III Specs are: 2x Quad Core Xeons 3.16 GHz 32 GB of ram, 5 x 450 GB Drives. It's running my ESXi 5.5
  • Options
    HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    I've added to my rack since the last time I took a pic and posted it less then a month ago. I have one more 2950 switch which isn't in the rack at the moment. I wasn't thinking I would have this many pieces. I almost feel I wasted money with just getting the 2509, when I need 2511.

Well honestly, I haven't even taken my CCENT yet, which I plan to take in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to getting pass that part, so I can really get into the rack instead of reading so much.

• Options
    dactyldactyl Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□

I'm just about to take my CCNA, and this lab does well for me. I had to do some customizing to make it current enough to handle everything, such as upgrading memory so the 1760's will support IOS 12.4. I also had to add a WIC for an extra Ethernet port to one router since these are 1 port routers and some labs in the manuals from Cisco require a router to have two.

Routers: 3x Cisco 1760 - All routers have 128mb memory added, so that they can run IOS 12.4T.
    WICs: 4x WIC-1T, 1x WIC-1ENET
    Switches: 3x Cisco 2950
    Firewall: Cisco PIX 501

For building a lab on a budget, this set up has worked out well, at least for the CCNA level.

Note: If anyone is considering 1760's, just be aware, only some of the models can be upgraded to support 12.4. The ones like mine with [32F] written in white text within a black square on the front above the FastEthernet port can be upgraded. The older ones without this marking cannot. If they're the older ones you'll be stuck without a lot of the functionality taught in the current CCNAv5 curriculum.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Here is a shot of the lab I am working with right now, it has been pretty inexpensive to put together, my 3rd 1841 will be delivered today, but it consists of 5 2950 switches, 3 1841 routers, upgraded to maximum memory and running 512mb flash cards, 2 2503 routers upgraded to max memory, 2 AUI transceivers, 3 HWIC-2T, 1 HWIC-1T, 4 WIC-1DSU-T1-V2, I upgraded the 1841's to IOS 15.1 yesterday and will be upgrading the 2503's to the latest IOS today.

I have also set up my PC to pretty high standards, it is a E8400 Intel Core Duo, with 4 gigs of memory, 2 TB hard drive, running windows XP Sp3 Professional, with a PCI 16 port serial card, so I can connect to all of the Cisco equipment and manage, it has a Phillips Blu Ray Burner, in addition to a DVD Burner, dual Nic cards, Nvidia 9800GT HD video card with 1 gig of memory, I also have a few DB9 to USB converter cables so when I am working in the field I can connect to one of my laptops. Currently I make my own network cables.

I will be adding a couple of Dell servers in the next couple of weeks, so I can start working on my Windows server certs as well and I already have a Unix server that I will hook up this weekend.

Cheers guys, stay geeky!

LOL
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I just started my new job on Monday and they happened to be scraping a TON of stuff out of their lab. Needless to say, my home lab just received an ENORMOUS upgrade.
    Here's my 4507R with dual sups that I haven't figured out how to get out of the trunk of my car and up a flight of stairs yet:

Here is my newly stacked rack:

It contains the following:
    2x 4948 w/10GE
    2x 3560s
    2x 3750
    1x 2960S
    1x 2504 WLC
    1x 3602 AP
    1x Meraki MR34
    4x 1142N APs
    4x 2801 ISR

I'm also getting a spare MDS 9124 tomorrow so I'm going to get a cheap server with Solaris on it and an HBA to set it up as a fibre target.

My future wishlist thought is to have two switches capable of VSS in my home lab. It'll have to fall into my lab because honestly I can't afford it on my own.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Nice! You plan on powering the 4507 with dual a/c lines ? :)

What is the 2nd device (blue)?
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    What a score Iris, that is awesome!
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    JeanM wrote: »
    What is the 2nd device (blue)?
    Are you referring to what looks like a ST-Fiber fobot?

That's awesome Iris. That's one way to dim the city lights!
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    Abdul201288Abdul201288 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMG_20140408_183054_zps9070b97d.jpg

New PoE Switch icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    kj0 wrote: »
    Are you referring to what looks like a ST-Fiber fobot?

That's awesome Iris. That's one way to dim the city lights!

I tried booting it all at the same time yesterday with the exception of the 4507. I tripped the circuit breaker. Opps.

I am thinking of either relocating my lab to work or renting a cheap office space or storage space off CL for my rack.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I tried booting it all at the same time yesterday with the exception of the 4507. I tripped the circuit breaker. Opps.

I am thinking of either relocating my lab to work or renting a cheap office space or storage space off CL for my rack.

I am not surprised, that is a lot of juice to try and get from the average home electrical system.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    fist-of-freedomfist-of-freedom Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, just piecing together my new CCNA/CCNP lab, here is what I have so far. Can you think of anything else I will need? More specifically cabling and modules?

Thanks!

(2) 1841
    $_57.JPG
    (2) 2611XM
    87dabb27556f4ac3bd5be6c7b_large.jpg

(2) 3550
    728101df4d2b4a74b9467a605_large.jpg

(1) 3620 (NMA4S on the way)
    $_57.JPG
  • Options
    fist-of-freedom - nice! get some ethernet and serial cables, and what are you going to connect to the 4A/S module? You'll probably want another module for 2nd router.
  • Options
    sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    Added a couple 3560's to the lab to start working on SWITCH.

From top to bottom...

ASA 5505
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is the lab I keep at work.

1 x 3750-24TS
    1 x 3560-24TS
    2 x 2960-24TT-L
    1 x Laptop - Not Pictured (Domain Controller, Root CA, RADIUS Server, DNS Server, Web/FTP Server, Syslog Server, VirtualBox, Wireshark)
    1 x Laptop - Not Pictured (Serial Port, TFTP Server)
    1 x My Personal Laptop - Not Pictured (GNS3, VirtualBox, Wireshark)

I swap out equipment [from home] as needed for whatever I'm focusing on right now.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    consolidating my lab/cleaning a few things out

4x 1841
    1x 3745
    3x 3550
    1x 3550fx
    5x 26xxXM
    1x 2950fx
    1x 2950sx

to go
    2950G
    4x1721-32f
    4x1760

gone
    2x1751

need a rack but don't really have space.
    Will update pic when everything is in a neat stack again , instead of spread out around the living room
    attachment.php?attachmentid=5368&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1402294767
    attachment.php?attachmentid=5369&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1402294909
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    sold/selling most of my old lab (consolidate the space)

picked up 2x3750 for $100

updated lab
    4x 1841
    5x 2600xm
    2x 3750
    1x 3550
    1x 2950sx
    2x 2950fx
    1x 3550g
    1x 3550fx
    1x 3745

attachment.php?attachmentid=5442&stc=1 and 877 on top

Need to get off my butt and finish ccna asap then start on ccnp. Baby due in 6 weeks and inlaws due here in 4 weeks and staying for 2 months
    (they don't speak English and my mandarin is fairly crap icon_lol.gif)

If anyone is after a lab (hint its my listing) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291179522257
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have not yet posted any pictures of my lab. Here is my setup.

3 2620xm routers
    3 2950c switches
    4 USB to Serial adapters, 4 port USB hub, 2 port PCI serial card.
    A bunch of crossover and straight through cables as well as 6 console cables so each device has a dedicated terminal.
    6 WIC1DSU-T1V2 cards and 3 1' T1 cables.
    I also have an ISDN BRI module that I do not use, but have instead of a faceplate.
    To simulate hosts, I also have a space usb to ethernet adapter that I have going to a VM with bridged networking on my desktop.

I am racking this all together in a neat way that I thought that more people should know about.
    It's called a "Lack Rack". Basically, you use a cheap table from Ikea that costs less than $10. It is the perfect width to mount server/networking/pro audio gear.

LINK: Ikea Lack Table

I only made one necessary improvement on the design.
    I used a 1 inch wide strip of aluminium from Home Depot/Lowes (dirt cheap) on each length of the table's leg. This would make everything a bit more secure. I also mounted the aluminium strip into the leg, as well as the devices into the aluminium with self-tapping screws so I would not need to pre-drill holes.

I find this so much more fun than packet tracer. 100% authentic and real. I've already dealt with many physical/link layer issues that I wouldn't have seen with packet tracer.

The best part of this rack is that I get to use it as a table!
    What otherwise would have wasted space is now helping to save it.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    HippodromeHippodrome Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^That is really cool. I will be emulating this, thank you for the pics!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have not yet posted any pictures of my lab. Here is my setup.

It's called a "Lack Rack". Basically, you use a cheap table from Ikea that costs less than $10. It is the perfect width to mount server/networking/pro audio gear.

HA! I have about 16U of Lack Rack space and I didnt even know it!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Thanks! It has been pretty sturdy and has even survived a truck ride during a move.
    I mounted the devices to the rear side of the legs. This recesses the devices and makes it a little spill proof, which came in handy one time.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    The legs are pretty hollow, so you do really need something to secure your devices. I have 1 power rail into the back of mine securely and another that is part held in with SuperGlue (until I move it to my actual rack next to it. :P

You can also get the enterprise editions too.

Full page here.
    https://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack
  • Options
    kj0 wrote: »
    The legs are pretty hollow, so you do really need something to secure your devices. I have 1 power rail into the back of mine securely and another that is part held in with SuperGlue (until I move it to my actual rack next to it. :P

You can also get the enterprise editions too.

Full page here.
    https://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack

Yep, I can confirm they are hollow. All except for the first inch or so on the top and bottom.
    That is where I mounted the aluminium strips to. So that it is the aluminium that holds everything pretty much and not the puny legs.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Picked up 3 routers today. 2 x 2600s and a 3640. All for $10 ea.

I gave the guy $40 as he threw in a bunch of Serial cables, 3x GBICs, Ethernet Transceiver, console cables, etc.

Won't be touching again until the end of next month after I finished my VCP.

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403

My Wireless Home Lab

My Routing and Switching Home Lab

EDIT: click on the image to see it bigger.
  • Options
    MatroMatro Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys, I've already posted my lackrack table with my CCNA lab, but now i've built MatroLackRack v2, and I want to show you it! :D

20922yq.jpg

I've built it using two lack tables; In the upper space I can rack up to eight 1U devices; Then - using some angle brackets - I've made space for two dell servers, using it for Microsoft/VmWare certs.

In the lower space, i can place a UPS and two hp microserver, used as NAS/storage for SAN lab.

icon_wink.gif
    Actually: CCNA - Palo Alto ACE