Options

Post Your Lab (PICS)

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    So my Lab is really nothing yet. Its a 2610 Router connected to a 2924 switch. Connected is my 2003 Server. WAP, and a few machines.

I decided to get a rack so i could begin to study for my CCNA.

http://www.mobonetworks.com/DSCN1008.JPG
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very nice and organized. What kind of rack is that?
    ULWiz wrote:
    So my Lab is really nothing yet. Its a 2610 Router connected to a 2924 switch. Connected is my 2003 Server. WAP, and a few machines.

I decided to get a rack so i could begin to study for my CCNA.

http://www.mobonetworks.com/DSCN1008.JPG
    Your rack is crying out for more slots filled :D You don't have to squish everything together up at the top, you can space it out so the heat can dissipate a bit more.
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    Here is the rack i purchases.

Its 119 bucks and another top can be added to it. This thing is built from solid metal and it extremely sturdy. (Commercial Grade).

And i def need to add some more stuff to the rack.

http://www.dantraknet.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=100
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    ULWiz wrote:

Its 119 bucks and another top can be added to it. This thing is built from solid metal and it extremely sturdy. (Commercial Grade).

yeah thats what i have. its very nice.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    (sorry slightly OT)
    The Skeletek racks seem really popular on this site, and the price on these are awesome. It seems they don't let you create an account if you don't live in the USA. I guess they don't ship outside of USA?
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    Call the company as long as you pay for the shipping i am sure they would.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    ULWiz wrote:

yeah thats what i have. its very nice.

By the way guys, I'm getting a 20U rack from Dantraknet. I had trouble ordering online and I've been calling for the past 3 days. When I finally got a hold of someone, I actually spoke with the owner of the company (they seem to be a small operation because the owner was also in charge of maintaining the website and most day to day operation.) Anyway, he seemed like a very nice fellow and was very apologetic for the inconvenience.

Cuttin to the chase: I ordered a 16U rack and when I'm about to check out over the phone, he said, "by the way would you like a 20U rack for the price of the 16U?" So I said yeah and he told me to tell anyone I know because he's really trying to promote his items.

So if you're planning to get a rack for your rig, go ahead and give them a call and ask if you can get an upgrade. I did mention to him that I will spread the news on here.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    arcaniumarcanium Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nice, maybe there will be some competition for ciscokits

btw here is my lab
    http://www.gamersvault.net/arc/ccna_lab/DSC01614.JPG
  • Options
    boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    Sorry for not getting back quickly yukky. It is a Superior Modular rack. It is left over parts from a project at work that I made into a working rack.

Nice setups guys.
  • Options
    honohono Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    this is my lab:
    1 x C3550-48-SMI with EMI IOS 12.2.25.SSE4
    1 x C3550-24PWR-SMI with EMI IOS 12.2.44 SE (received today)
    1 x 2610xm (256/32 RAM max) with IOS 12.4.17
    1 x 2611xm (256/32 RAM max) with IOS 12.4.17
    2 x 3640 (128/32 RAM max)with IOS 12.4.13b
    2 x 3620 (64/16 RAM max) with IOS 12.3.19a
    2 x 2610 (64/16 RAM max) with IOS 12.3.23
    1 x 1760 32/16 with IOS 12.2.16
    2 x C2950-24 with IOS 12.1.22.EA8a

2 x Cisco NM-4A/S
    3 x Cisco NM-1E2W
    1 x Cisco NM-1FE1R2W
    6 x Cisco WIC-1T

the last 3550 (received friday) is not installed yet in the pic:

t9jvyo.jpg
    Daniel
    CCIE R&S
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice rack Hono...

Got a shot of the back with what interfaces you have?
  • Options
    Thank you,
    Yes, this is a pic with the interfaces,
    I didn't have a lot of interfaces, at the moment....
    For CCNP, what's interfaces I must add ?

2qcjy3n.jpg
    Daniel
    CCIE R&S
  • Options
    Not bad.

From my own research for CCNP gear, I think you'll want to make sure your gear has two serial cards in it, plus the fastethernet interfaces.

You can shuffle the interfaces around in your 3600's.

I'd put the 2600 you have into use as a frame switch, and then get the rest of the devices wired up for frame transport so you can do the routing labs.
  • Options
    Thank you, for your council,
    What's type interfaces, nm-4a/s, nm-fe2w +wic1t or wic2t
    Daniel
    CCIE R&S
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I pretty much sold most of my old gear awhile back and slapped together a totally new Lab.

Yeah i know my cable management sucks icon_lol.gif but its configured to IEWB specifications for the moment

ielab.jpg
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is it a common practice to skip a peg after equipment that has a fan underneath? I'm not a fan of being inefficient with space, but things seemed way too tight for proper ventilation/circulation when I had all my routers butted-up next to each other.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    LOkrasa wrote:
    Here is my lab. :D
    Rack.jpg
    Closeup.jpg

From the top.
    APC SurgeArrest
    C2520
    C2501
    C2501
    C2514
    C2509
    C2620
    C2924XL
    C2950
    C2924XL

Serves me well... although I want some more 2950s...
    I would post the visio file of its current setup but I change it everyday to suit my mood... lol
    did you know that your setup is almost exactly the same as mine, only i don't have a surge arrest, and i have 3 2924s and a 2950-12 (my 2924's are like your top one.)

What's Skeletek official website?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jbaello wrote:
    What's Skeletek official website?
    They are sold on eBay by DanTrak -- just search for skeletek

In the US www.dantrak.net

The dantrakuk.com site seems to be down -- not sure what the relationship to the US site is...
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Is it a common practice to skip a peg after equipment that has a fan underneath? I'm not a fan of being inefficient with space, but things seemed way too tight for proper ventilation/circulation when I had all my routers butted-up next to each other.

Not usually in most production racks but they are normally very well ventilated temp controlled environments. If you can afford the space at home then yeh it's worth it.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Here's my collection so far.

I just received my last 2950 two nights ago and last night I received my 20U Skeletek from dantraknet.net. I'll post a pic when I get around to putting it together. And maybe, I'll post a diagram of my topology for newbies out there like me to get an idea for a lab setup. icon_wink.gif
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Well, I pretty much sold most of my old gear awhile back and slapped together a totally new Lab.

Yeah i know my cable management sucks icon_lol.gif but its configured to IEWB specifications for the moment
    Sweet rack, bro!

Hey, I think you sold me your 2620 on ebay a few weeks back (unless you're a different mgeorge.) :)

Well, you'll be proud to know that it's my very first purchase and it's in good hands. icon_wink.gif Check out the pic on my previous post. It's the one in the middle with all the NM 4-A/S and the 2 WIC-1Ts.
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    mgeorge27 wrote:

Sweet rack, bro!

Hey, I think you sold me your 2620 on ebay a few weeks back (unless you're a different mgeorge.) :)

Well, you'll be proud to know that it's my very first purchase and it's in good hands. icon_wink.gif Check out the pic on my previous post. It's the one in the middle with all the NM 4-A/S and the 2 WIC-1Ts.

Apparently it's a small world after all icon_lol.gif

Yep I'm the same guy, That router was just part of an old CCNA lab that I let people use freely
    I have 2 more left that I need to get rid of 64/16 with 12.3(25) Ent Basic. I'll eventually list them
    on ebay.

And yeah it is pretty much common practice to mount Cisco gear with bottom fans a peg apart.
    While many data centers are kept cool, keep in mind those routers have very little room for
    exhaust and this may disrupt the airflow. This is typically done when you use a directed rack ventalation system.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    And yeah it is pretty much common practice to mount Cisco gear with bottom fans a peg apart.
    While many data centers are kept cool, keep in mind those routers have very little room for
    exhaust and this may disrupt the airflow. This is typically done when you use a directed rack ventalation system.

The politics for rack space for many clients is like a huge task in itself, sometimes the basics like equipment environmentel conditions get overlooked.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mgeorge27 wrote:

That may be your preference but that is not the standard. I have worked in hundreds of datacenters that are set up with the devices racked tight together. When it comes to the Cisco router models that vent out the bottom of the chassis they are all basically very low speed CPUs that even without any cooling will most likely not exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit which is more than acceptable. The newer router and switch models will vent out the sides, back, or front for better airflow.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Pash wrote:
    mgeorge27 wrote:

The politics for rack space for many clients is like a huge task in itself, sometimes the basics like equipment environmentel conditions get overlooked.

Yeah I have to agree with ya, many clients ive worked with would rather have stability then
    space. While DT is correct with most newer cisco gear. Most older gear when mounted in
    a directed vent system will block overall airflow. The 2600's, 2500's, 1700''s are not designed
    for airflow from front to back. While this may not cause problems for the cisco gear, it does
    however cause problems for other devices down the line of the directed vent system, if the
    airflow is blocked, other devices can warm up fairly quickly

But of course its mostly company preference, I'm just used to doing it that way. If you want
    to cram them together then more power to ya.

A good example of a directed vent system would be the Sun datacenter-in-a-box. Check it out :D aka project blackbox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp3QxlSK9Kc&feature=related
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    This is my lab. I just added 2 new routers so its being rewired at the moment. I desperately need to grab a 20u rack from Dantrek. That'll probably happen soon. I also need either a 2509 or a 2511, it's getting to be a PITA to switch console cables right now.

phantlab.jpg

Top to bottom:
    1x 2960 LAN Based Image
    1x 2514
    1x 2610xm w/ WIC-1T
    1x 2501
    1x 2620 w/ NM-4A/S (frame switch)
    1x 2501
    1x 2610xm w/ WIC-1T
    1x 3550 PWR EMI
    1x 2820 (brick - it's functional but too old so it just sits there)
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    networknoobnetworknoob Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is my humble LAB..A big mess now until I can find a RACK..and an access server..2509 maybe a remote control power strip. But it is what it is..

Server 2003 PC
    2 2950 Switch
    1 3524 Switch
    1 2610 (WIC1T, FXS)
    1 2610 (WIC1T)
    1 2610 (NM4/AS) Frame Relay
    1 1760 (WIC1T, FXS)
    1 2514 (NAT Router)
    1 831 (SDM Router)

Not Shown

2 MC3810-V (Voice Routers)
    1 VG200 (Voice Gateway)
    dscn1127pb3.th.jpg
  • Options
    Great looking stack there phantasm! icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    Mgeorge, nice rack! Musta cost a pretty penny!