Post Your Lab (PICS)

DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Everyone,
I couldn't find any other thread similar to this after searching for a while, so I wanted to get one going. It would be great if everyone could post pictures of their current home or work lab (Big or Small). Hopefully we can get the CCNP/CCIE folks to post in here as well.

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I'm still waiting on people to comment on what I plan to build. Some of my equipment is still being shipped. Here's what I am building:

http://dg-network.com/misc/network.jpg
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Finally...thanks for posting. Compared to my home lab, yours looks like a great start. I'm still shopping around for the right parts at the right price.
    heh, thanks. But I dont have all those things yet. All of my cisco routers are on its way being shipped to me. And I am waiting for my second win2k3 box, I'm getting it second hand from a training center. I'm currenting using just a linksys router, the win2k file server, and the clients seperate on different subnets with my switches.

Perhaps you could include a picture of your lab?
  • darwinismdarwinism Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is my lab. There is a couple of typos I forgot about but you get the jist.

homelabey1.th.jpg
    If you are living in the Columbus, OH area and studying for the CCNA click the following link.

CCNA looking for study partners in Columbus, OH
    darwin, that's a really cool lab.

good job!
  • hix18hix18 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow..Interesting topology u have there.
    I got 1 topology that I use for CCNA.
    It is very useful for those taking CCNA exam because
    it really help you on CCNA simulation question.

There problem is I dont have the application
    to draw the topology. icon_sad.gif
    Here to learn.....
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Im pretty sure we had a topic like this before, and someone posted a pic of Scott Morris's Lab (uber Geek)

anyway heres mine

http://www.cisco-engineer.com/graphics/netmapnewg2.jpg
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • romainromain Member Posts: 222
    Nice scheme Graham ! icon_wink.gif
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • HELLZxPHADERHELLZxPHADER Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:

im gonna stay in this thread lol, but man that young ccie guy is ballin lol.

heres my pics, first pic was for ccna, second for ccnp

http://home.comcast.net/~CiSC0_WH012E/2600.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~CiSC0_WH012E/l5.jpg
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    How much does them cost ? each ..

just curios icon_rolleyes.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
    2950 24 port average price 300-350

2514 2501 maxed average price 50-75

2520 maxed, i say about 100

2600 series with no cards unmaxed average price 100-350(maxed 150-400)

3550 48 smi u can find for about 1200-1500 (add couple hundred to that for the emi 48 )

nm-4e 75-100
    nm-4a/s 50-75
    wic1t 25-40
    wic2t 50-75
    wic t1 75-125

THESE ARE JUST GUESSES, and of course u can find way luckier deals!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Very nice, does the noise of that 48 port 3550 bug you,
    I have a 3548 and will probably buy a 3550 in a month
    but I made a note to myself to stick to the 24 port models.
    By the way are those custom roll over cables in the console ports?
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    TheShadow wrote:
    Very nice, does the noise of that 48 port 3550 bug you, I have a 3548 and will probably buy a 3550 in a month but I made a note to myself to stick to the 24 port models. By the way are those custom roll over cables in the console ports?

the baby clue cables are from cisco console cables, the thin black cat5e is from 99 cent store , comes in 3, 7,14, 25 feet pieces for a buck each. the console connections from routers and switches are cat5e to RJ45 to DB9 adapters to serial-usb connectors to usb hubs, to 3 usb ports on my second pc(remote pc lab with console access.)

If any 3-4 devices are on I wont hear much. I cant really tell which switch is louder, cisco fans arent high revers. The only 60mm fans that bothered me were the ones that spun like 6k rpm, cisco fans should be much less.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wow a case of necessity. Very good way to eliminate the need for a terminal server, nice.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    when designing default topologys, try to utilize all serial interfaces. A diagram should contain all details about ip addressing on the router/switch. Do not have routing protocols enabled, just have ip addresses assigned, telnet access assigned and hostnames for each router. Once a permanent default diagram is made print it out, staple above ur monitor or something, now you can start configuring stuff. When you need to start over and work on a different config all u do is reload each router/switch or turn them off then on again.

Here is my current default configuration topology. Theres lotta programs u can use to make diagrams, I use photoshop. My diagram could be neater, but it's ok I'm use to it already. http://home.comcast.net/~CiSC0_WH012E/de.jpg

You can also make a diagram with switches in it. I like using cisco network assistant (CNA) for assigning certain configurations per switch or all switches at once, I also manually change switch settings frequently so really no point for me to make a switch diagram. Heres a screen shot of CNA with a topology view and front ports view.
    http://home.comcast.net/~CiSC0_WH012E/cna.jpg

These are a few ways to make configuration a simpler process, might not be the best way, but so far I like it. Feel free to add other methods and/or programs and such.
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cisco network assistant is great

great job with the home labs guys
    I just I just received all of my equipment.
    So I can start and build my lab soon.

So far, my cisco lab includes
    2514 16/16
    2503 16/16
    2503 16/16

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=101686#101686

I'll post some pictures of the 2503s soon.

I *think* I'll wait abit to refill the wallet before I go and get a 2912/2950.
    This thread is taking off finally...I haven't checked it out in a while. Keep posting the pics...I love looking at what others are doing. If possible, post some pictures of your actual rack-mounts & cable management. Thanks
    DirtySouth wrote:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=101686#101686

I'll post some pictures of the 2503s soon.

I *think* I'll wait abit to refill the wallet before I go and get a 2912/2950.
    WOW...do you think you could make your pictures larger? I'm having trouble making out the protons & electrons. :D j/k

Sorry....i'll use a smaller resolution when I get home and take pictures of the 2503s....

More updates to come on my *EXCITING* home lab setup!
  • darwinismdarwinism Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cable management or lack thereof:

labpicsbc6.th.jpg

2620 X 2

The rest of my lab was too much of a wreck to take pictures of :)
    If you are living in the Columbus, OH area and studying for the CCNA click the following link.

CCNA looking for study partners in Columbus, OH
  • netstatnetstat Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    here goes mine:

1x cisco4000
    1x cisco4500
    1x cisco2610 (with added 1NM1E and WIC-1T module)
    1x cisco2924-xl-en (with added 4 port SC-fibre-optic module)
    1x cisco2924-xl-A
    1x cisco2521
    1x cisco 3620 (with NM-4A/S port serial and 1FE-TX modules)
    1x Cisco ATA 186 (which i haven't got around implementing yet!)
    1x ODS xylan PizzaSwitch

and the small things u see around!

http://kirklandnetworks.com
  • JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    Oh I didn't realize this thread until now, I posted this same pic in my other thread but here it goes anyways...
    Two 1720 routers
    one 2520 router
    Two 2924XL switches

I don't have my main camera at the moment, I could only use my cell. But this is the first week I have it, maybe I'll get a rack later on. Its someone of a mess but managable.

ccnalab.JPG
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
    Jammywanks wrote:
    Nice lab bighorn... I just recently got mine through UPS shipping. Everything is good to go now. Two 1720's w/ 1wicT cards, back to back serial to one 2520 router cause it has two Serials, and then two 2924xl switches connected to each 1720 ethernet. I'm gonna see if I can get a small frame relay setup before I head off to bed. Getting the real thing makes learning this much faster. And interesting too. And everyone is getting the CCNA now. Makes the pressure much higher now that I'd have to rush to get CCNP. This stuff isn't easy to learn overnight. But I am definitely getting somewhere now.

heh, yours isnt bad either. Your cable management could use some work though.... icon_rolleyes.gif

I was going to get 17xx too, but I was thinking they're going to be hard to stack. Where'd you get your 29xx switches? Ciscokits also?

Your camera phone actually has pretty good resolution, what's the make+model?

---
    As promised, I took some "real" photos, and not just visio drawings:
    IMG_3749.JPG
    IMG_3750.JPG
    IMG_3754.JPG
    IMG_3755.JPG
    IMG_3757.JPG
    IMG_3751.JPG
    IMG_3752.JPG
    IMG_3753.JPG

Also, I found some pictures of my school's GRAD LAB....only the 17 or so people enrolled in the grad program can use 'em.....I believe they have AT LEAST 17 different POD setups.

http://www.dg-network.com/misc/cisco2514/more/schoolLab/
    Also, I found some pictures of my school's GRAD LAB....only the 17 or so people enrolled in the grad program can use 'em.....I believe they have AT LEAST 17 different POD setups.

Your cable managment looks alot better than some of the others I've seen. :D
    Thanks for posting the pics of your grad lab...that looks like a sweet lab.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Just got my first own 2600 router :D (2610 with a NM-4A/S so 1 eth and 4 serial ints), so it was time to update my lab, and at the same time revive this topic. I'll take some pics later, still waiting for a b2b cable to arrive. There are some other PCs connected to the WAP, and the 2501B will be connected to the 2610 or the 2950 sometimes, amongst other variations. :)

mylab.gif
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Here's how my lab looked when I first started it.
    clab.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Three 2500's on top of a 2926 switch.

Current lab is:

2514 (set up as DSL router)
    2501 x 2
    2516 x 2
    2950-24
    2926 (rarely used)
    1924 (collecting dust)

One of the routers is set up as a frame relay switch and I also have an ISDN simulator.
  • ms_visioms_visio Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why doesn't everyone post their pic in the main message? The links I tried contains pop up ads and spywayres!
    :study:
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin

A late reply, but: wow icon_cool.gif

That 2926 you have there is quite a monster Netwurk icon_eek.gif
    What type of ISDN simulator do you have?
    Webmaster wrote:

A late reply, but: wow icon_cool.gif

yeah....it's the grad lab at my school part of electrical and computer engineering.....12 courses each @ 4000CAD covers the CCIE R&S track.

only 40 or so people have access to that room besides the profs and GAs.....

you would think you're paying for the equipment, but actually, all of those you see are free from Cisco.

makes you think what they're doing with the money....
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    That 2926 you have there is quite a monster Netwurk icon_eek.gif
    What type of ISDN simulator do you have?

ISDN simulator is an Arca Emutel Lite. They're not as much of a must for a lab as they once were, but ISDN is still in use in a lot of places.

Here's the config from one end of the link

!
    isdn switch-type basic-5ess
    !
    interface BRI0
    ip address 172.25.163.101 255.255.255.252
    encapsulation ppp
    dialer idle-timeout 600
    dialer string 384020
    dialer-group 1
    isdn spid1 3840000001 384020
    isdn spid2 3840000002 384030