Options

I'm A+ certified! Where do I go from here?

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
I finally did it! I'm A+ certified! I'm so happy! :D

So where do I go from here? Which certificate should I take next?

Should I go for Network+ next?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You should think about what you want to do during the next couple of years and longer... Do you want to be a PC technician, database developer, system administrator, support engineer, network engineer, developer. If it doesn't matter much to you, and you just want to work in IT, try to find out what type of jobs and certs are most in demand in your area.

Network+ is a good basis for most IT jobs as every thing these days involves networking. Net+ is also the next logical step for many people.

Instead of Net+, you could go for 70-270 Windows XP Professional (or 70-210 Win 2000 pro) to become an MCP, and perhaps MCSA or MCSE after that.

If you want to ignore networking as long as possible, and want a good basis for a system admin job for example, you could go for Server+.
  • Options
    The_Network_EngineerThe_Network_Engineer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea i tend to agree Network+ is used alot in the work place but pending on what profession u work in wither its needed more or not.
  • Options
    zeekabalzeekabal Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I dont advice to go into the Net+ i did it and i didnt find tht intersting , go to microsoft courses preparing u for an mcsa or mcse
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i found network+ helps to add to the foundation given by a+ for my microsoft studies.

if you wanted to skip network+ and go straight into mcsa/e, i would suggest that you alteast get a newtork+ book to read over.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    longshotlongshot Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like webmaster said...think about where you want to end up.

I personally want to end up in Cisco Products.... but I want Net +, then 70-210 Win 2000 Pro (So I have the foundation of a Windows Business Product). After those I am starting on Cisco....even though I could get MCSA in what 2 or 3 more test. MCSA is not what I really want. I might pick it up after I get CCNA, but its not a priority for me.
    Webmaster: www.longshotdesigns.com
    Stunters Digital Artwork (It's halfway up now)
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Have had my first job which is fully PC related for a short time. My A+ and Network+ together got me a little better hourly wage than I would have gotten without them. I have minimal experience, so the certs certainly were a benefit.

I would encourage you to pursue the Net+. If you decide on another direction, then what you have learned will help on almost any other cert you might pursue as far as use of hardware/devices goes. Besides, you probably already have 50%-60% of the material that you need for Net+ from your A+ studies.

Best of luck on your decision.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki