Options

Took both tests today back to back... bleh

WILDSSWILDSS Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been working on computers for about 10 years (started back in the amiga days) I run a Fujitsu ASP & I repair tablet PC's all day this is a one man thing that I started w/ experience from my previous employer. A couple weeks ago I was asked to "get certified"

I completed my 1st test A+Core w/ flying colors.... learned EVERY DMA/IRQ/I/O, Post code error, & Processor history - AND NOT A SINGLE QUESTIONS ABOUT ANY, not a single one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made it a point to learn it all. It was the crap I didnt know like the back of my hand. I was happy i passed at least!

Took the OS after, most of the questions were like choose out of 5. 2 possible "thing to do in this case" and all 5 were possibilities but you had to be raised by the book to know the proper answer. I dont think my past experience is helping me out on this one it seems like what i think is right is wrong even though i accomplish the same task maybe even quicker its not whats wanted.

I'm really beating myself up about failing and missing it by 10 points! One fn question! Im gonna go have a cold one - Wish me luck im taking it again in a couple days.

Jim, Chicago

Comments

• Options
    The_Network_EngineerThe_Network_Engineer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ah im sorry man hey there is a thing with comptia standards. ITs how "they" see things as correct.
    so dont worry man just try again after i get a book to learn their ways of answering it.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I found OS to be toughest of the 2 exams. I read 3 manuals and obtained all MS OSs Dos 6.1 to W2K Prof. and practiced loading and working with them. It was a great help to me. It seems that there were several NT questions on the exam which surprised me. But, I had my own copy of NT4 to study with.

Well, best of luck on next try.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    what methods differ? maybe we could try to explain comptia thinking.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My condolences WILDSS - however that is one of the reasons I always direct people to Mike Meyers AIO book. Mike takes a great deal of care mentioning the ways to do things and then Comptias way.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    CrossCross Member Posts: 234
    No such things as cold one's, no one's a perfectionist when it comes to these exams, and CompTia has a format to test the best of anyone's ability.

Russs is right, Mike Myers has what may consider an easy to read bible of a book when it comes to the A+ cert exam
    I'll change highways at the crossroads, I'm going only where I desire.

http://www.darkroads.com
  • Options
    Just got into work and had to tell the uppers the bad news, starting my day off really well... What blows is a day later I can remember what questions I had gotten wrong I just remember there being many questions with more then 3 possible answers so thats not going to help any of us out including myself. I know i got maybe 2 out of the 3 but i dont know which one wasnt right... this is gonna be a tough one, im hoping that next time i go in its a different series of questions all together. I missed it by 1 question im hoping i can wing it w/ a little more studying. I was using a crappy book Comptia provided that was out dated so i picked up A+ for dummies for the hell of it... I have no problem w/ getting 95%+ on all of the test questions on techexams, and a couple other sites its just a matter of getting that same question on the test i guess.

Thanks for the suggestions, Ill keep everyone posted :) this shouldnt even be a issue!!!!!!! frinkin frak
  • Options
    longshotlongshot Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just look over the books and see what they think the next "Logical" steps may be.
    I personally got hit with a bunch of NT4 which I studied some (at least what I could find) and got a few 3.1 questions. I personally was not prepared for those and had hardly any clue...so I basically eliminated answers with my basis of Windows 2000. Yes, I scored low...lol... but did pass.

Just get back in there and knock it out dude.
    Webmaster: www.longshotdesigns.com
    Stunters Digital Artwork (It's halfway up now)
  • Options
    I found a site for some reason i cant post the URL but its xxxxxxxxx and it had a good 5-10 questions word for word right off my test! I couldnt believe it, after all the questions online and from the books nothing was that accurate. After checking the site out and taking the 100s of questions they have to offer im sure i can pass. Its on tomorrow @ 3pm! w00p... its coming out of my pocket this time though. I wasnt sure if i would have a better chance friday 12th when they switch over the test types but one way or another it has to be done.

Anyone looking to study check out xxxxxxxxx you wont be sorry.
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    That is called cheating. The reason you can't type that is because it is a brain **** site and it's name is banned from discussion. Any site like that takes away from the importance of passing a test. This site does not condone the use or promotion of such sites. It would be wise of you to not mention it any further.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    itwannabeitwannabe Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying like crazy w/ All in One A+ and Test Out software. I'm amazed at how many people will waste their time looking at braindumps or answer sites, instead of investing there time and perhaps a small amount of money into studying and trying it hands on....
    icon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gif
    Certify this!!!
  • Options
    well if you read my very first post that was my intention. All I have is hands on experience and I study what i think i dont know which sometimes isnt enough. I came across this site and took a couple questions and some of them were WORD for WORD that doesnt mean you dont have to understand the question or answer options.

I wont mention it again.
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Thank you very much for your maturity. Some people seem to blow up when they are told to stop talking about **** sites. Most of them are no longer with us thanks to the Webmaster. :D

Cheeblie
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    'most of them' are 3 to be exact ;) most other people get the idea when they "cannot post the link for some reason" icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    well if you read my very first post that was my intention.

WildSS...
    I did read your very first post, and my statement was a generalization on stuff I've seen from other boards and P2P networks...not directed towards you at all...best of luck....
    Certify this!!!
  • Options
    passed today w00p! cant wait for the cert
  • Options
    Congrats :):D:)
    Certify this!!!
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the pass!!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki