Any advice for entry level security job

Hello,

I am currently working on my Security+ (test date 9/29) and my Master's in Management/Information Security. I also have a AAS in Network Security. I have lots of schooling but no network security experience. I do have 2 years of Help Desk experience. I want to make that jump to the next level. Any ideas???
Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP

Comments

• bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    I would say get a Jr. Network Admin position - get your self a lot of real world experience.

You should eb ale to really use your background in the help desk to excel as a Jr. Network Admin.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think entry level security jobs exist. No one wants to entrust the security of their company to a complete newbie.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Become a net/sys admin first. Security can be really boring at times, dude.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Anything working with MS AD, switches, routers or firewalls. It comes with the territory. Security is inevitable if you want to maintain these devices and keep your job.