Options

Seeking for advice!!

kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently studying Computer Info Systems. Senior year and about 2 semsters to go to graduate.

I do have good knowledge on many aspects from web designing to networking, but here is the thing I dont have the certification that I am good at it and neither that MUCH of work experience to prove it, but I do have projects that I volunteered to do for organizations that can prove my skills.

Now, I am confused of what to choose, there are 2 options that I have to choose one of them and they are the following:

Option 1: I can get assistantship, which means helping out the prof/instructor with his research and do things (I think it will be on wireless security on PDA or maintaing website & such). this will take a lot of time with me but then, its nice to add it to my resume.

Option 2: With the spare time that I have, I can focus it on certification.. seek my CCNP, FULL MCSE, CNA and so on. (I am almost done with CCNA)

I thought it would be nice to graduate with couple of certificates so I can differntiate myself among others..
but then, what if the employer is looking for experience and such?

HELP!

tell me what you think I should choose!

thanks

kicker

Comments

• Options
    Ghetto RamboGhetto Rambo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would study and get certs.....as many as you can. If you volunteer your time, you won't be getting paid and that is just volunteer work, not "actual" job experience.

hope that helps..
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You will have a degree. That will help, but in today's job market EXPERIENCE IS KING! did I say it loud enough? Add a couple of the lower level certs like CCNA, MCSA, CNA.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    man you are confusing me! :)

you are saying EXPERIENCE!

but then you said "get certs"

so which one shall I seek first?

kicker
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry Kicker. I'm not trying to confuse you. right now experience is the most important thing. Personally, I would make finding some kind of experience the No. priority, but you should come out of school with some certs too.
    kicker22 wrote:
    Option 2: With the spare time that I have, I can focus it on certification.. seek my CCNP, FULL MCSE, CNA and so on. (I am almost done with CCNA)

You have some high level certs listed there. Instead of concentrating on getting those, come out of school with some experience and an MCP and CCNA or an MCSA and a CCNA under your belt.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete