Options

Cisco Advanced Wireless Lan Field - 642-587 AWLANFE

AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi folks,

Since there's no Cisco specific wifi forum, and I didn't want to go tramlping through CWNA-ville, I figured it was best to post this here. I'm going to start a new network admin position this week at a plant that uses a lot of Aironet APs. In preparation I've done some studying up and feel confident I now know enough to at least have starting points when supporting them but I'd like to pursue Cisco's most relevant Wifi cert to fill in the gaps. I've read the objectives and I know there isn't any official cert guide so multiple sources will have to do. My question is have any of you sat this exam, and if so can you recommend the best study material - I have the "Cisco 802.11 Wireless Networking Quick Reference" (Which I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone else in a similar situation, great book for the uninitiated).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?

Comments

• Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I havent sat the exam but plan to in the near future. First books that are usefull are the Fundamentals of wireless lans companion guide and the CWNA (yes CWNA) study guide.

If you have a CCO account with a Gold/silver partner the official CBTs are on there for free and I now use them for every exam and find them excellent.

If you dont have a CCO or cant use one, then the training is provided by a company called NetG (used to know as KnowledgeNet)

Theres also a lot of white papers cisco website. Consider a couple of cheap Aironet 1200's which are cheap nowadays from ebay.

Good luck
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Many thanks for the advice. I picked up an Aironet 1100 to play with for the moment and am busy breaking our wireless home network in the quest for knowledge icon_confused.gif:) . The CWNA is on my list so I guess that's the material I'll grab first.

Cheers
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?