Options

Had 2 interviews, need advice?

I interviewed for two Help Desk jobs last week.

One was in person, the other on the phone. One defintiely appeared to be an IT job, the other a bullshit customer service job.

The interview which I had in person sounds like it's gonna be pretty technical, I'll have to go through 2 weeks of training on their proprietary system. Once I'm at the Help Desk I'll just have to support a team of Sales Reps out in the field. This position I would probably take if it was offered to me. I hate the phone aspect of both these jobs, but I definitely dig the technical nature of this position.

The other interview was originally in person, but then was changed to over the phone, after the phone interview they scheduled an in person interview. This job didn't sound very interesting, it just sounded like a customer service job and not really technical oriented, I think I should cancel this interview, what do you guys think? Alot of times recruiters call me trying to pass off a customer service job as an IT job, how do I avoid these calls and avoid wasting my time?

I was contacted by the two recruiters, I didn't call them. I thought I'd give the interview process a shot again since I got certifications, more knowledge under my belt. My only problem is that it seems like the only jobs that are available are ones that I don't want, call center jobs or phone related bullshit mascarading as an IT job.

Basically, what I am saying is that I am a hands-on guy, not really a people person who likes to yap alot, I wouldn't be the type to be on the phone all day long helping people. I'm self-employed, so money right now is not the issue, the issue is finding an entry-level job in IT that fits my personality with the skillset that I have.

Is taking a phone or customer service job the only way to break in, how else can I break into the field without taking a job that makes me feel uncomforble?

I haven't applied to any jobs in about a year, but I finally feel motivated again, I just want anything that is hands-on, physical or mental in nature, but no phone jobs. Basically, I want to be a Network Engineer, but start out as Junior NOC, Cable Technician, Cable Guy, I really don't care just as long as it's not Customer service, I hate customer service.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated like many others out there.

If I can't find something that suits me, I am thinking about going back to school....anybody else thinking about doing this? I was a business major, so I'm thinking about Accounting, I figure it jives very well with computers.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    It sounds like you have an important decision to make. Would you consider yourself to be a 'business' person? I mean being a business major and all.

I am assuming the customer service job has a little bit of sales involved? Or is purely dealing with crap like refunds and complains?

I think you've already made up your decision although you are unsure, but I wouldnt pass up a good opportunity. Do you think there will be advancement opportunities for you in the 'technical' job? you wouldnt want to be stuck doing help desk for a good number of years, or do you?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take the technical job, its easier to find a job when you have a job.Get the 2 weeks training and keep your eye open for better jobs coming along.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    THAT WAS SOUND ADVICE HE JUST GAVE YOU BUT I HAVE SOME INPUT ALSO. I SAY GO WITH YOUR INTREST IF YOU LOVE COMPUTERS TRULY THAN YOU WOULD START ANYWHERE TO GET YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR. IM ON MY COMPUTER ALL DAY SO I PICKED THE RIGHT PROFESSION ..........DID YOU?
    BEST OF LUCK!
    (ALWAYS APPLY YOURSELF BEFORE YOU DENY YOURSELF)
    YoungFred.jpg
  • Options
    frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    Thanks for the great advice.

I'm definitely a business person, but one who really likes computers, that's why I don't know if I shoudl go back to school or not.

I like the phrase "apply yourself before you deny yourself', I did express alot of interest in the position during the interview and reiterated many times how I woudl be good at the job. This one I want, and I will take this even if it's not what I want, but the second one my instincts tell me to stay away that it is bullshit.

-Frank