Options

Difference between N10-003 and N10-003

TecShdwTecShdw Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm studying right now for my Network+. The book that I have is one of the Comptia approved books by Que [ISBN 0789728303] and is listed as Exam N10-002. I was just wondering what information I am missing out on that will be on the Network+ Exam and if I need to get another book, what should I get. I am very familiar with Networking in general (it is a large part of my current position at work and has been for years).

Thanks Guys!
PC Technician Certified - MCSA Server 2003, MCTS-Vista
My Site - My Forum

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Fill out the following form and you'll be able to download a PDF showing the exact changes:
    www.comptia.org/certification/Network/objectives.asp
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Definitely follow the webmasters suggestion as there are 6 pages of changes. You have a book for the 2001 test and it was changed last year.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    I have that downloaded and printed already. Is there something though to compair it to? Is the book I have useless now icon_sad.gif
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Having studied both versions of materials for my Network+. I can say that it was a 'major' upgrade that they had.

Big topics off the of my head; Wifi, Fibre Optics, Network Security and Redundacy.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Any book suggestions? I haven't noticed an updated version of the one I have (and I really like it too, what a shame)

This is the book I have Network+ N10-002
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    I used study info for N10-002 and failed (542)- I didn't notice the info was outdated until it was too late. Now Im using Network+ FastPass from Sybex and the online guides here. I know I'll pass on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Yes, it's a good thing I noticed. Now that I have to basically start all over I may just start into my MCDST and then my MCSA (since MCSA was my next step anyhow...my main goal being MCSE eventually) It's just very frustrating to study then find out that you have to start over basically.
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I don't understand why you're looking at it as "starting over". The new exam covers most of the old exam, plus additional material; it's not like the material completely changed. I would think that you could pick up a book that covers N10-003, skim over the stuff you've already studied, and just focus on the new things, couldn't you?
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    If you plan on going for MCSE, then I wouldn't recommend MCDST, as it is not a valid MCSE elective. Pick an elective that is good for both MCSA and MCSE.
  • Options
    MCSA on Microsoft Windows 2000 is an elective for MCSE. Although I will go for MCSA server 2003. Either way, I've got some time to go, the MCDST is paid for for me because it is 'job related' so I'm getting it either way ;)

kujayhawk93 I'm sure you are correct on that also. I just will have to get new study material when I'm able (I still plan to get my Network+, just not as soon now that I have new material to study)
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    TecShdw wrote:
    MCSA on Microsoft Windows 2000 is an elective for MCSE.
    It's also an elective for MCSA 2003 if you decide to take 290/291 instead of 292.

Just as long as you know the MCDST is not needed. Don't want you to have to take more tests than you intend.
  • Options
    Agreed. And thank you for the information ;) I've spent (and I'm sure will spend more) time on Microsoft's site looking over information for the 3 exams.
    My Site - My Forum