Options

when to go for the exam?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
when do you think i should go for the exam?

i have been studying about a month now. feel i understand the material although i have identified one or two areas which i need to brush up on. i have been taking practice tests and getting 75% plus although there have been times when it went down to mid 60's - but that was when there was alot of screaming and shouting - my younger bro and sis going crazy :p. so i put that one off down to distraction.

i was thinking of taking it sometime this week?

does anyone have any comments?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    It's hard to say when you're 'ready' Some people just want the pass, others want a good looking score.

For myself, I have had this mentality since high school, throughout university and with all of my certifications.

When I am 100% sure that I know 90% (or more) of the topics, I know I'm ready.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    yeah i know what you mean. i prefer to learn all the material - which i feel i have with the majority. to be perfectly honest i dont care what i score aslong as i pass because at the end of the day a pass is a pass! its just i feel like i want to get it out of the way because i dont like leaving things like this to long really?

• Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a easy one (YOU WILL NEVER FEEL READY) so therefore just hit the book like someone threw it at you and you should be ok.

(ALWAYS APPLY YOURSELF BEFORE YOU DENY YOURSELF)
    YoungFred.jpg
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    Let me tell you a real story.

I've been learning for my CCNA 640-801 ( within Net Academy and self study ) for over a year and a half.I feel I wasen't prepapred and I though I will fail the exam , the big one 640-801.Then I decied to take my INTRO+ICDN , I though it will be easier...Seeing people on forum like this .. I manage to take only the big one 640-801 .. not taking 2 exam's.

Altough I was prepared and very very well prepapred , I tough I would fail coz I never take an exam like .(You know CCNA only fives you 90 minutes .. and you cannot go back , and MS , let you go back .. and more more time , like 3,5 hour's and even 4 ).I go there , altough many people told me I'll pass and I pass and take a big score.Now I know.

Man , you don't have to wait until you got prepared , maybe you won't got prepared in no time , just go and give your best shoot.MS 70-270 , is an easy exam , and you can easiyl take more than 850 ( I know pass is 700.. ).

Good luck .. maybe my story will help .. icon_wink.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take the test when you need to get a job, find a new job, or your boss say so.

In the mean time, learn the material. Since when you needed it, you can take the test anytime.
  • Options
    @ !30 - thanks for that. ive read a few stories in a similar nature saying the exact same things. i think i am just worried because i havent taken an MS exam before! it was the same when i took my compTIA stuff...i was worried because i had never sat a cert before but it turned out to be alot easier than expected! so i mite take it soon.

i am hoping to pass because if i do it will exempt me from a large areas of my PT degree! so it will free up some time and then i can learn much need cisco stuff! (hopefully).

its been a bit of a booster reading comments on the forum where people have been in the same situation as me and have just went for the exam and done well and passed it!

• Options
    yous just think i should go for it then?

• Options
    gomonngomonn Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Bud !!!!

I know you are sleeping now, as soon as you read this, register for the exam for let say friday.... And get ready to take it, Adrenaline will take care of it.... In the meantime, take training tests by objective, don't care too much about the overall score, just make sure u have a grip on the objectives.......
    Anyway, just register for the exam now :D

U'll do fine.... So friday for the results ??? :)

Take care
    Working on MCSA and CCNA
  • Options
    hey gomonn,

yea i was sound asleep counting sheepies!
    ive done exactly what you said but unfortuanetly ....they dont have it for friday :p...but that didnt stop me so i booked for a random day next week and i am just waiting to see if i can get the time off work to do the thing! so hopefully next week or the week after i will have my first mcp :p (fingers crossed).

• Options
    nel wrote:
    hey gomonn,

yea i was sound asleep counting sheepies!
    ive done exactly what you said but unfortuanetly ....they dont have it for friday :p...but that didnt stop me so i booked for a random day next week and i am just waiting to see if i can get the time off work to do the thing! so hopefully next week or the week after i will have my first mcp :p (fingers crossed).

before Sept 9th:
    http://www.getcertify4less.com/microsoft-vuex-promo.asp
  • Options
    thanks for that bighornsheep. but i live in the UK and it doesnt work out that much cheaper. i would also have to travel about 15 mile to my nearest vue centre! whereas the closest prometric centre is 2 mins away :p

but thanks anyway.

and on that note does any1 know any cheap exam vouchers within the UK or for prometric sites in the UK?

cheers

• Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blackzone wrote:
    Take the test when you need to get a job, find a new job, or your boss say so.

In the mean time, learn the material. Since when you needed it, you can take the test anytime.

I DONT KNOW,where you stay so i will cut to the chase, in the states you never wait because the other guy will cut you off (LOL). So i say get it, grab it, and last but not least brag it.
    YoungFred.jpg
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    60% - 75% on the practice exams seems a bit low, though sometimes you get low scores because of the errors in the practice exams.

However, I didn't think I was going to pass 293 since my practice exams were that low. I took my chances anyway since I was taking advantage of the 2nd shot promo. I suprisingly ended up with an 896!
  • Options
    hey guys

just to let you know i took gomonns advice and said what the hell i'll go for it, i managed to get a booking for today - took the exam and passed with an 810.

so i am well chuffed!

thanks for all the help over the (lots ;)) of questions i have asked in the forum.

• Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    Congratz nel!!

What you gonna go for next?
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    Congrats man , you deserve ! You fight for it icon_wink.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    very cool!

Glad to hear that your first MS exam experience went well.
    Good luck to you on the rest of them.
  • Options
    thanks lads....

i think i'm gona go for the 290 next. it seems the next logical step or would 291 be better? because either way i'm aiming to get my mcsa.

• Options
    gomonngomonn Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Man !!!! Well done and good luck for the next one ......
    Working on MCSA and CCNA