Options

DOS boot process (article)

DelmirocDelmiroc Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I thought I would share this article on booting DOS

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/structBoot-c.html

I thought it explains the process well and easy to understand.

Comments

• Options
    blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's what I hate about certificate. They force me to learn somthing I dont' want to learn.

Only thing I want to know about Dos is I can use Dosbox to run old games.
  • Options
    billgbillg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is very important to learn about DOS. It is not a waste of time. The next time you have to try and figure why a computer will not boot into the OS you might be very glad that you know DOS and understand how to use some of the commands. I miss the old days of DOS. The best times that I had as a programmer were programming under DOS back in the 80s. Yes, we did not have the luxury of windows and a GUI but as a programmer we had control of the machine. There were not DLLs all over the place. No Dll hell. I would code my program. In DOS, I would run the compiler and linker and if it worked the program would run if not I would hit a keystoke, and up would pop SideKick, my faithful TSR and I would try to find the problem. No mouse, No drivers. I loved it. Of course I love my Windows but I still once and a while miss my old DOS.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    billg wrote:
    It is very important to learn about DOS. It is not a waste of time. The next time you have to try and figure why a computer will not boot into the OS you might be very glad that you know DOS and understand how to use some of the commands. I miss the old days of DOS. The best times that I had as a programmer were programming under DOS back in the 80s. Yes, we did not have the luxury of windows and a GUI but as a programmer we had control of the machine. There were not DLLs all over the place. No Dll hell. I would code my program. In DOS, I would run the compiler and linker and if it worked the program would run if not I would hit a keystoke, and up would pop SideKick, my faithful TSR and I would try to find the problem. No mouse, No drivers. I loved it. Of course I love my Windows but I still once and a while miss my old DOS.

icon_cool.gif

Thank you!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cool little article, thanks!