Options

Surely this can't be right - Share Permissions Question

KyzaKyza Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok,

I feel confident about Share Permissions and how they work, however I saw this practice question in Mike Myers Windows Professional 70-270 Passport Book which I'm sure is wrong. Tell me what you think, here is the question:

You are the administrator of a small Memphis Law firm called Bendidi, Lambert and Locke. Matt is a new Lawyer assigned to a case. The case files are stored in a folder called \Laundry, and you make the folder available on a computer running Windows XP Professional over the network, assigning a share name that matches the folder name.
You then assign the Read share permission to user Matt and assign the Change share permission to the Research Scientists group. Matt is a member of the Rookie Lawyers group. What will Matt's effective permission be to the folder when accessing it over the network?

A - Read

B - Change

C - Full Control

D - No Access

To my knowledge, I would say that Matt's effective permission is A - Read. This is because he has only been given Read permission to the folder - also the question does not state that he is part of the Research Scientists group (who have been given Change permission). It just says that he is part of the Rookie Lawyers group, yet it does not say anything regarding what permissions the Rookie Lawyers group has been given.

However, the book says that the correct answer is B - Change permission.

Can anyone explain how this can be?? This threw me off a bit, and I'm starting to wonder whether I really understand how share permissions work.

Thanks alot,

Kyza
Don't mess around - just do it!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's read. Must be a typo.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    It is Read

I have caught a couple problems with practice questions in just about every book I've picked up for every exam I've studied for so far... It happens.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I agree, it's read. They may have meant to have him part of the group mentioned (researc) in which case it would have been change, but they didn't. Of course, it also depends on the NTFS permissions, but as stated, it can't be any more than read.
  • Options
    KyzaKyza Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cheers for the feedback guys icon_cool.gif

My class tutor agreed it was Read also, given the way the question was written - definantly a typing error.

I'm secure in my understanding of how NTFS permissions work, which of course is what's most important.

Kyza.
    Don't mess around - just do it!