Options

3 months of studying feasible?

Family_GuyFamily_Guy Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anybody who is certified A+ know if it's possible to prepare for the exam if I started now and wanted to take the exam before dec 31? I went through about half of the testout a+ core training but eventually stopped due to extenuating circumstances.
Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence. -Dawkins

2010 Path

Network+ : Started | Server+ : Pending
Security+ : Pending | Linux+ : Pending

Comments

• Options
    wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
    Sure is. My advice would be to just prettest your mind to the point of death and just use the notes you can find online. if you can figure out how to get them, the meyers video's are a big help too. But just get a good source for studying and just keep quizing yourself. Everything you need to know is available through either this site or a book. it might seem like there are a ton fo questions, but it all boils down to specifics. once you know the specifics, you just gotta start paying attention to the way they quiz you.
    Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    that's very feasible.

It depends alot on your experience, but A+ I have found to be alot of theory and memorization. So that means you should do lots of practice questions.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    Yeah, it really depends in your past experience. Overall, the test isnt that hard but I was scoring 90-100% on the practice tests. :D
  • Options
    Family_GuyFamily_Guy Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I can see that two of the above users are certified, any recommendations for study materials?
    Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence. -Dawkins

2010 Path

Network+ : Started | Server+ : Pending
    Security+ : Pending | Linux+ : Pending
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I used Sybex A+ Complete. Lots of people here has recommended Osborne Mcgraw hill Mike Meyers A+ All In one Guide.

For practice questions, pick up exam cram 2.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I used to Mike Meyers AIO, practice tests from the cd, and test from mcmcse.com. I didn't know about this site at the time I got my A+ but I did use the test here for my Net+.

Jonathan
  • Options
    Djmario30Djmario30 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I say about 1 month you should be ready for hardware and one month for software. :D
  • Options
    blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I studied 3 days and took the test.

I'm too confident in myself that eventhough I'm not a technician, I keep myself up to date with new CPU/memory/mobo released. And I believe alot of the material I already pickup with 4 grueling years of University...

Ok I failed. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    The best book recommendation as for my experience is Mike Myers 5th Edition.....If you have experience, then you can finish this with 1.5 to 2 mos. for both exam....ciao
  • Options
    Mr. ThirdworldMr. Thirdworld Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm starting today and using Testout and Mike Myers 4th Edition, would that be sufficient? Can someone study for both exams and be successful? I'm aiming for the December exam for both the CORE and the OS.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it all depends on your skill level. People who have had some (even 2-3 months) experience I feel are prepared for the hardware part. Then you might want to take another month or so for the OS.
  • Options
    panikpanik Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took a month to study for the A+ Core hardware exam, and another month to study for the A+ Software exam, and passed both with well over 75%. :D

I basically did nothing else but work, study and sleep though. icon_eek.gif

And I do have about 5 years experience in IT doing desktop support and building PCs...

I found that it's mainly just memorising stuff like COM ports and hardware specifications, as well as all the different commands for the software exam.

I used Mike Meyers A+ All in one 5th edition as well. Highly recommended.. :)

I think that 3 months is definately doable, but I would study for each exam separetely, and take the Hardware one 1st, as the software exam does have some hardware questions. icon_idea.gif