Options

Passed Network+ Today!!!

TIGER MOTHTIGER MOTH Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed today with 760. I'm pleased with that score as I'm a total novice. I'm trying to get a job in IT and as yet have no 'on the job' experience of working with pc's or networking other than messing around at home and setting up my small wireless network.

Used Exam Cram 2 and practice tests, Test Out CD rom, practice notes from this site (very good) along with as may practice tests as I could eat!!

Next....70-270 and hopefully a job in IT to underpin my learning. Cos I'm pretty sure there's nothing like getting that practical hands on experience.
Just need an employer to take a chance on me!

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Good job!
    Congratulations!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    thank you kind Sir!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    And good luck on your next test.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    congrats and good luck. i was in the same situation as you are. just use careerbuilder man and send your resume out, a lot of technical recruiters look at carreerbuilder and will help you land an entery level IT job thats all you need to get you started so you can have something on your resume. thats what i did and someone took a chance with me and my interview went well and tomorrow i start work.

good luck to you.
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Great score, congratulations! Keep in mind, however, that all the certifications in the world mean nothing without work experience to back it up, so don't be too picky when it comes to accepting jobs. I would start looking for an entry-level job right now, because the more certs you pile up without any experience behind them, the less likely it is that someone will take a chance on you. Good luck!
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congradulation. Way to go! :D
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations!

Best of luck for the future!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass. A+ and Network+ are always good places to start when you're first getting into IT. You should be able to land yourself something along the lines of depot tech or even helpdesk. One thing I can recommend, though, is to get some Linux experience under your belt. As good as it is to have A+, and as much as CompTIA claims it's vendor-neutral, it's really focused on working with PC's that have Windows installed. Don't get me wrong, I'd just as soon set my hair on fire than use Linux full-time; I've always been a Windows guy. However, Linux is a big player in the IT world, and having solid Linux/Unix experience can set you apart from the pack. (Currently, I'm studying for Linux+, then going on to LPIC-1 and 2.) Linux experience will also help back up some of the things you learned for Network+.

I'd recommend sticking with the CompTIA certs, since you're just now starting out. Go for Linux+, then maybe for Security+, before you head upward and onward to the MCSE/CCNA level. LPIC is also an excellent cert to look at, since it comes in different levels, depending on your experience. Still, though, I'd say stick with the CompTIA certs for now, so you get some solid foundational experience with a well-rounded set of skills under your belt, then look at what else is out there.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm always happy to accept help from the more experienced.