Options

Got a job offer

Got a job offer from a comprable company much closer to home. The pay increase is less than I asked for (15%). Gonna have to think this one over very carefully. I'll keep you guys posted.
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Comments

• Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Be a little more detailed about the "offered job and your current job", it will help your topic get a lot more valuable responses.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would think the "much closer to home" would be very valuable. Also the required 15% pay increase might be expecting too much depending on the situation (I say this with the caveat that I jumped ship and got a 28% pay increase but I can't say that's the norm). Were the people you met at the new company likeable? When it comes down to it liking who you work with should be near the top of the list.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    I am a system administrator for a small environment, about 80 servers and this move would be to a larger env, about 300-500, and they run all windows :) They are ramping up for some long term future growth, very stable company, and I like the hiring manager and the people i have met so far. the offer is about 12% more than my current salary. i am going to hold out for 5% more. i asked for 20% more on my app (not 15% i wrote that wrong in this post). I am in a VERY comfortable job now with awesome benefits, so I may hold out if they don't give it to me. we will see, in the begining is the time to negotiate and besides i want my happy number, so i will not look back later in regret.

oh yeah, gonna call him back tomorrow, if he gives me the number i'll agree on the spot, if not gonna say i need more time to think it over.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Did you mean 80 users or 80 servers? If you meant 80 servers then that's no small environment. If you're happy where you are, don't leave for anything below your requested salary. An american bird in the hand is worth 1½ in the bush. :D
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    I am a system administrator for a small environment, about 80 servers and this move would be to a larger env, about 300-500, and they run all windows :) They are ramping up for some long term future growth, very stable company, and I like the hiring manager and the people i have met so far. the offer is about 12% more than my current salary. i am going to hold out for 5% more. i asked for 20% more on my app (not 15% i wrote that wrong in this post). I am in a VERY comfortable job now with awesome benefits, so I may hold out if they don't give it to me. we will see, in the begining is the time to negotiate and besides i want my happy number, so i will not look back later in regret.

oh yeah, gonna call him back tomorrow, if he gives me the number i'll agree on the spot, if not gonna say i need more time to think it over.

80 servers? small?? I'm running 6 servers and a NAS device, now THAT'S small.
  • Options
    Yeah, 80 servers. I accepted the job offer. The figure was not negotiable. All other pieces made very good sense to me, their annual increases on average are double what they are at my current job. :D:D
  • Options
    meeting with my boss tomorrow for lunch to let him know about the new job. this is going to be tough because we really get along.
  • Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ThePenTThePenT Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, 80 servers. I accepted the job offer. The figure was not negotiable. All other pieces made very good sense to me, their annual increases on average are double what they are at my current job. :D:D

I dont know what their putting in your lunch but 80 servers isn't a small network. Itd be graded as a medium to large icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    doesn't feel large. what would you categorize 400-500 servers as? basically, the new job environment is huge compared to my current env. that's all i was trying to get accross. anyway, i took the job, start in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. Best of luck to you! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    doesn't feel large. what would you categorize 400-500 servers as? basically, the new job environment is huge compared to my current env. that's all i was trying to get accross. anyway, i took the job, start in 2 weeks.

That is Very Large to me!!!!

We have 6 main servers (and a NAS like someone else posted above) I work with on a daily basis and another 4 in other buildings that I don't play with too often.... I know we are getting 2 or 3 new server in within the next year but 80 seems large scale to me...
    Anyway, Congrats!
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
  • Options
    thanks guys, hoping to continue or maybe even speed up my pace of growth.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would consider 80 to be medium-large.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...