Options

where to start

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey,

i am about to start the 290 exam. i was just wondering what your recommendations would be for study material and labs?

i already have cbt nuggets and the managing and maintaining book from the official MS course, but i like to have a few reference points.

any ideas?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I used
    CBT Nuggets
    Exam Cram
    Sybex
    Home Lab
    Tons of practice exams on the net
    transcender
    and of course this forum
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    I use :
    *Self-Study Guide for MCSA/MCSE for 70-290 (Managing and Maitaining ..)
    *Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 ( 1 server 2003 + 1 virtual computer + 1 real computer .. on my own network ).
    *plenty of test on the net , you'll find them
    *some video's
    *www.wikipedia.com ( if you don't know something ).
    *this forum for asking question you don't know.

I think if you want you can take it , fast ! icon_wink.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    i already have CBT Nuggets and the managing and maintaining book from the official MS course, but i like to have a few reference points.

IMO James Conrad is a quality trainer. I've heard some people say he's very quick and fast paced but then they're videos so you can always watch them again. I think he covers the relevant topics very thoroughly and has a sort of upbeat attitude abut his training which helps me get in the mood anyhow icon_eek.gif

I do feel a good book and home lab also helps with the preparation. I tend to watch a few nuggets and then read a few chapters and then practice on the home and office labs.

Good luck for 290!
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    thanks lads....

so in regards to the labs what is better to use, just virtual pc? or virtual server 2005?
    i mean i have been on the official ms course - but that was over a yr ago when i had no real intentionof doing 290 so ive kinda forgot everything on the course icon_sad.gif so what is the course material like would you's say?
    @!30 - by what you said do you mean i should go for it quickly? how long does it take most people anyway? i have very brief experiances on this topic as i do not work on it day in day out because i'm simply a helpdesk monkey icon_sad.gif lol

• Options
    Here's a White Paper explaining the differences.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/techinfo/vsvsvpc.mspx

I'd go Virtual Server as from what I'm aware Virtual PC is desinged for the desktop environment. Never used it though so I maybe wrong.
  • Options
    so stonedcnut - as you have bothe 290 and 291 what would you personally go for first? i have niether great in depth experiance with either so it doesnt really matter. but would it not be best to know how to setup stuff like dns and dhcp rather than doing managing user groups etc first? because technically if i have to build server 2003 from scratch anyway for a home lab would it not be best to do 291 while doing that? or would it be best to build server 2003 anyway (to gain some understanding regarding 291) and then follow 290 because i've heard its abit like a bigger version of xp?

or does anyone else have any comments on this?

cheers

• Options
    Personally I'd go for 290. 291 is a relatively tough exam and the topics covered in 290 will give you a good grounding and experience to progress to 291.