Options

functional resume part II

MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, all!
I posted a topic in the past regarding functional resumes. I finally finished my resume & was hoping that you all could take a look at it & offer any suggestions/criticism you might have. Be kind! :D

Some specifics:
1) I'm changing careers, which explains the lack of technical experience. Any suggestions for particular transferable skills that should be emphasized?

2) I completed the Cisco Networking Academy Program at a local college. Should I include that under education? Should I list the lab experience as hours (like I did below) or as years?

3) I do all my own hardware/software upgrades as well as those for friends & family. Is there any way I could include this in the resume?

Comments

• Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Question 1: I set up my resume a little different than yours

I had

Technical Skills:
    listed things like hardware, and software and OS's. p[rogrammnig languages I know

Soft skills or interpersonal skills
    listed things like
    reliable
    well organized

- I looked at a lot of job desciptions and entered in the skills people look for that applied ot me.

Question 2:

yes put it in your education

list the months as i'm sure u did;nt do the labs 3.33 days it was problaby over the length of your course. you want it to look like u have the most experience possialbe with hands on stuff 80 hours doe;snt really look like much but if you had a 2 hour lab once a week... that would be 40 weeks of labs or 10 months which looks alot better to vand employer than 80 hours exp. With resumes you want to put the best spin on everytihng WITHOUT tell a lie. You can leave things a bit grey instead of black and wihte just make sure fi your asked ot clarify you do so honestly.

Question 3:
    list it under technical skills....

another suggestion I found online was to put your Certs in a seperate section. My employer really liked that I did that so he knew what I had my MCP status in.
  • Options
    MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice! I especially found these two points below useful.
    Smallguy wrote:
    - I looked at a lot of job desciptions and entered in the skills people look for that applied ot me.

you want it to look like u have the most experience possialbe with hands on stuff 80 hours doe;snt really look like much but if you had a 2 hour lab once a week... that would be 40 weeks of labs or 10 months which looks alot better to vand employer than 80 hours exp.