would like to get more info on routers on number

hankooknarahankooknara Inactive Imported Users Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
for example 2501.. is there a significant information on any of the digit?
does 0 represent something(as I see other model with different number in between)..

I been searching on cisco site to see if there is anything that would explain but did not see it..

if anyone can point me to right direction(or URL) that would be really appreciated.

thank you

Comments

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Cisco's search engine is not that good for end of life products and many people believe that google does a better job. Anyway for the basic 2500 series this should help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a0080094e93.shtml

If you look at the upper right of the page you will find an PDF version of the HTML that you can download.

For the 2600 series this link is probably helpful

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007e034.html
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    hankooknara, I dont think Cisco put any meaning to the numbering. 2501 was probably the first one that was realized in 2500 series.

TheShadow, thanks for those links, I was aware of the one for 26xx, but the PDF file for 2500 series is really helpful. Thanks!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Glad to help. The Cisco site really needs to put fair play tags on their documents so that they can implement a better search engines. The site has ton's of useful information but most things seem to be buried after the marketing document of the day.
  • hankooknarahankooknara Inactive Imported Users Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you for both of your help.

I will look at the links.. But I guess there is no meaningful means in those numbers nor there is one central depository where all the routers are listed.. huh?
    uhh did you look at the links? I think that the one for 2500 lists almost all of them in a single document. Are we not understanding what you are looking for. If you look at the matrix in the document you will find that there appears to be a method to the numbers based on when the feature set was created. The models came out over several years based on technology needs. If you were looking for something else then, it is now not clear to me. I don't know of any manufacturer that starts out knowing what they will eventually create and sets up a nomenclature that will work in all cases. If there is maybe they should clue in the automobile industry or intel and AMD for that matter :)

If you are looking for one spot for everything that they ever created then the answer is no. If you are looking for things that they still sell then it is the first item on the main page of www.cisco.com in the upper left corner i.e. products and solutions.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    thank you for both of your help.

I will look at the links.. But I guess there is no meaningful means in those numbers nor there is one central depository where all the routers are listed.. huh?

=> TheShadow, I think he's trying to say that you cant tell the features of a router based on its model number unless you have memorized that model number and its spec list. ie...you know that Mercedez-Benz E320 has 3.2L engine....etc...but 2501 doesnt say anything about its ports, nor capabilities.

Hopefully I've understood this correctly and has cleared somethings up.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Well even my memory is not that good and I get complements on it all the time. Though it would be nice to have a matrix of all models in all families on a single page or two. I am sure someone in the internals of Cisco has an unpublished **** sheet. But if you knew that 2501 was the first ethernet model and 2502 first token ring model and you were selling them at the time then you would probably memorize them. Of that series I have 2501, 2509, 2511, 2513, 2516, 2523, 2525 so I know what those are without looking it up. For example 2513 can bridge token ring to ethernet but I only know it from necessity and that it can be replaced with a 2612 (why not 2613) see the point. If you assumed 2613 then you would be missing a built in ethernet. Technology needs had changed by the time the 2600 series was created.