Options

Knoppix or DSL or Fedora or other?

bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
Hello just wondering which distro you all are using for this test.

I am running XP Pro and not really wanting to setup a dual boot or a seperate box.

I have been looking at knoppix and ubuntu for their live CDs - no install needed just boot from the CD (I think SUSE does that too).

Also been looking at VMWare to setup a linux install without having to partition my drive or dual boot.

One that really impressed me was DSL (Damn small linux) - 50meg download and can be run from within windows without any extra settings or software.

Or should I just bite the bullet and install a larger distro such as Fedora or SUSE?

Comments

• Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    here's my $ .02

forget dual boot. reconsider the clean install. You will learn infinitely more doing installs that just driving it around. You never get it right the first time so you will learn as you go. Grab an old HD and install a distro. It doesn't really matter which one. the exam is very vendor neutral. The revised objectives cover more networking, security and much less hardware than the previous exam.

Grab the objectives and cover ALL commands mentioned and the basic switches for each. The objectives map pretty well to the actual exam.

man pages are your friend.

Jump in! the water's fine. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    @bcairns

I first started with Fedora 4 ( ya , i make some misconfiguration , erase important data , but .. ) and then Ubuntu , then Knopix ( live CD , DVD ).

What I recommand you ? If you are a "little beginner" , and you just want to see how Linux works's ( having already installed most of the program's you need , and don't make misconfiguration's with dual booting ) , Knoppix 4.0 Live DVD is the best solution.

Why , maybe not for all , but for me was.First , it won't make any misconfiguration ( it happens to beginners' ) and you can just probe it and get off DVD from machine and escape , with other's is more.

Knoppix v4.0 , has a lot of preinstalled program's , useful for beginner's , I recommand , it has : Ethereal , Gaim , Perl , C GNU compiler's ( cc , gcc , c++ , gc++ ) and lot's more saying server's ( SSH .. ) and many browser's and networking tool's.

I mean , Fedora is a complex , from RedHat , like a beginner you can misconfigure and it doesen't have so many of Knoppix tool's ( networking , server's , easy internet configuration PPOe , DSL ) .

My opinion icon_wink.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    knoppix is nice and will give you a feel for linux, but a portion of the knowledge you will need to know involves installing linux, which you will not get by using knoppix
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    Good advice guys - thanks again
  • Options
    rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    Go with Fedora, or even better CentOS (CentOS seems to be more stable for me than Fedora)...Both are Red Hat based distros which give you a good feel for both the GUI and command line side of Linux, not to mention almost the entire exam is Red Hat based commands.
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I installed fedora on XP machine and I used the virtual pc 2004. Its free from microsoft and its easy to use. Originally installed linux on my harddrive with xp, server 2003 and then linux but it crapped out and couldnt boot windows. So I reinstalled xp and then downloaded virtual pc, now both server and linux run on virtual pc.

Just my $.02.

Jonathan