CCNA/Net+

mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
If I earn my CCNA, what would a good starting point be in terms of studying for my Net+? Am I nearly ready?
_______LAB________
2x 2950
2x 3550
2x 2650XM
2x 3640
1x 2801

Comments

• david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    ExamCram book will give you enough to pass it. Network+ covers different OSes, protocols and cabling standards that are not included in the CCNA.
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For those of you who are familiar with N+ & CCNA. Would it be beneficial to take the N+ first & then CCNA? I would imagine the CCNA covers most of whats in the N+.
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    A little sugestion.

Take your CCNA first , but be sure earning eat mean understand those concepts.Like I say , CCNA provide a good basic ( majority of concepts ) , need to be knwon by a network beginner.

Get your Net+ if you want , but acomplishing MCSE would be an ideal to . If you want only netowrking , general ones , you can do Net+ after CCNA . Linux , Unix-like kwnoing , geting LPI or Linux+ , would be a good thing to.

Good luck !
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DirtySouth wrote:
    For those of you who are familiar with N+ & CCNA. Would it be beneficial to take the N+ first & then CCNA? I would imagine the CCNA covers most of whats in the N+.

In my opinion, yes.
    Net+ is easier and will help prepare you for the CCNA. Just keep in mind that both exams cover material that will not appear on the other. For example, you won't get any Novell or Apple questions on the CCNA, and you won't be asked to configure a router interface or ACL on the Net+.

You can do it the other way too, but personally I thought the Net+ was much easier.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    if you want both go net+ then your CCNA.....net+ will give you a basic understanding of TCP/IP, cabling etc...CCNA goes more in depth
  • cchampcchamp Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yea i say do net+ first then u cna go into ccna, i just took classes in bothand jsut got the net + , net + is nuthing compared to cisco, gives u some foundation. but u can take ccna and then net + its all good...people just usually take net+ first as an intro to other stuff. not hard at all though!!
  • mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    Well I should be passing my CCNA soon hopefully (although I got an 839, the second time in a row, today).

So I'm going to buy a Net+ book to start studying.
    Is ExamCram Net+ a good book? I want the BEST book I can get, don't care how much or how many pages or any of that. What do you guys think?

http://www.examcram2.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0789728656&rl=1
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • zero-g-smithzero-g-smith Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    damn 839? that sucks man. Im kinda in the same boat, I scored 809, not sure where to focus my studies so Im kinda all over the place.

Iguess im really trying to hammer down on commands. Getting them locked down tight, and trouble-shooting.
  • antonio banderasantonio banderas Member Posts: 102
    Man...

Do the Net+ first... This will build you momentum as you continue studying for the CCNA...

icon_cool.gif
    Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definately do the Net+ first. This gives you the fundamentals and underlying understanding of how networks work and link together which crosses over into the CCNA material (Especially Semester 1 of the CNAP course).

The thing about Cisco exams is that they want you to understand networking as they understand it, therefore it's better to get a general understanding by doing the network+ first then move onto the CCNA as the next step up if you like.

The CCNA is significantly harder than the Net+ and contains alot more in-depth description of networking areas than Net+

Good luck