Options

Question->

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am going to apply for a job and it asks for letters of reference..

how many should I have and who should I ask to write them? I cant ask anyone I am currently working w/ as they will know I am applying etc..

Also I am thinking of just sending my resume and cover letter since it will take at least a few weeks to get those letters and the job might be gone by then.

Any ideas of what to do or suggestions would be great thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've always gone with three. If they want more, they'll ask. I would go ahead and apply for the position but make sure you start the process of getting the letters since they specifically asked for them.
  • Options
    Thanks,

I will work on getting three letters. Appreciate the info.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Dont send your reference letter with your application. You'll have a lesser chance of getting your interview. Reference letters should be one of those things you want to reserve for the interview so that they can "break down competition"

Good luck!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    unles they've specifically asked for you to include refernces or refence letters with yuor application hold off on them....some place do require that u submit before you even interview though.

oh and BTW always asked if they will give u a positive refernce I know HR here has called references before and they slammed the person...ruined any chance they had of geting the position. So make sure anoyne u use as a reference will speak highly of you.

and 3 is usually standard
  • Options
    Thanks for the replys..

Bighorn - The job asked that I send in the letters of reference w/ the resume and cover letter.

I sent in my resume etc and told them I would send my letters once I receive them.

I will see how it works.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Smallguy wrote:
    unles they've specifically asked for you to include refernces or refence letters with yuor application hold off on them....some place do require that u submit before you even interview though.
    sharptech wrote:
    Thanks for the replys..

Bighorn - The job asked that I send in the letters of reference w/ the resume and cover letter.

I sent in my resume etc and told them I would send my letters once I receive them.

I will see how it works.

Right...that would be the trivial scenario, if they require it as part of application process, that's a different story.

anyway, Best Wishes.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wonder if the advertisment was posted by one of those recruiting companies. The last one I worked with checked some of my references ahead of time before sending me to the company needing the help for an interview.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Hey blrg -

Nope it was not by an recruiting company.. I know the company and they do not use them..