Options

Connected but not really Connected Problem

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
I have a toshiba satalite laptop that has a wiress card in it, and i'm trying to connect to a wireless network in the office which is WPA-PSK protected. I have set up the connection all right using the Windows Zero Configuration and Wireless Network Connections. It finds the SSID i'm trying to connect to and it also connects successfully to the SSID. HOWEVER, when i try going on to the internet says page not found. When i try access server shares or resources those can not be found either. The funny thing though is it says connected, Excellent Signal Strenght 54Mbps?! This problem started this morning on this laptop, and before everything was fine on it in terms of connecting to the network wirelessly. I've made sure that the wireless card inside is enabled, checked Device Manager, everything is fine. The wireless access point is also working fine the connected light is on. I know the router works fine if i connect to the laptop using ethernet. I've tried everything, please help me icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    I had this EXACT problem. I thought it was a DNS problem, so I entered in everything static and played with all the router settings, includeing DHCP and other things. Even had problems obtaining DHCP info from the ISP. Same problems. So I went and bought a new router. Solved the problem. icon_cool.gif
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What kind of wireless router is it?

Have you power cycled the router?
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Just because you show a connection, does not mean you successfully authenticated.

My broadband wireless router is like that. If the authentication fails, you get no IP. In other words, status: Up Down for us familiar with Cisco.
    We have a physical connection, but not a complete datalink connection.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    win2k4 wrote:
    This problem started this morning on this laptop, and before everything was fine on it in terms of connecting to the network wirelessly.

has anything changed... any updates... new software etc.

have u tried system restore (if available)

can other machine succesfful connect using wireless ?
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Ah, I missed that it was working. Might want to check the authentication mechanism though. Maybe a key or password was changed.
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    What kind of wireless router is it?

It's a linksys wireless B broadband router.
    has anything changed... any updates... new software etc.

Nope.

Only this perticular laptop is experiencing this issue, other laptops i've verified are communicating with the wireless network just fine.

My guess is that the wireless card has gone bad..? Even though it shows as working properly under device manager... hmmm i still have no idea... Thanks for all your suggestions though
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you getting an IP address? Doesn't sound like it.

Last month I had a similar problem at my office, the wireless wasn't the problem - it was the Windows DHCP server running out of addresses to lease.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    almost anytime your "connected" but cannot acquire a network address it is an authentication issue.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    almost anytime your "connected" but cannot acquire a network address it is an authentication issue.

I agree with the honorable seuss. icon_cool.gif
    Try to reset the connection up from scratch, re-enter your authentication, shared secret, password, etc and make sure it is all correct. Make sure your IP configuration is correct and that you don't have a hard coded IP on the laptop, if you use mac security verify it is on the router correctly, etc. Mac security is usually not enabled on the hard-wired side of the router, just wireless, which may have something to do with it.

If you can post details and trouble shooting steps taken so far one of us may see something that we all over looked.
    All things are possible, only believe.