I passed!

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
:D Always wanted to post an "I passed"-post on our forums ;)

I passed the BSCI 642-801 exam today, with a 811 (passing score 776, scale 300-1000), not as good as I hoped to do, but considering my personal life has been a hell in the last couple of days, I'm quite pleased :D

It seems I needed to study more for the various show commands outputs, since I got only 50% on troubleshooting. So call me if you need a Cisco routing network to be configured, technology explained or designed... don't call me when it doesn't work ;)

I'm absolutely sure I got both sims correct. Because the exam outline published by Cisco makes it obvious about which topics you can get a sim: I got one about OSPF and one 'related' to static routing.

icon_idea.gif It is obvious you can 'choose' which topics you want the sims to be about by answering the survey carefully.

I think it is fair to say that you need to know pretty much everything about routing, EIGRP, OSPF (single area, multi-area) IS-IS, redistribution, and even some RIP and IGRP (although those are more related to 'distance vector' protocols in general.). Because BGP is so complex and extensive, you need to know 'only' the basics (which is more material than what you need to know for IS-IS for example.)

:D:D

Comments

• jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations :D
  • seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    well done mr webmaster!!

onwards and upwards from here on :D
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    way to go webmaster! good job! hey was that the advanced routing exam? I'm getting ready to take that exam in december. Was it real hard? how many questions were on it? I know it's gonna be alot of ospf, and bgp. also was there some eigrp on it too? are there two sims on it like the CCNA? I was just wondering since I'll be taking that at the end of the year. BTW got my CCNA in the mail today from cisco, finally!

Congrats! on the pass!

BTW I thought the passing score on that exam was 700?
    information belongs to the public! hack the planet!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, this was the exam corresponding to the Advanced routing course.

"Was it real hard?" I wouldn't say it is hard, or harder than CCNA... kust a lot more and more detailed.

"how many questions were on it?" 57
    Thanks people :)

"I know it's gonna be alot of ospf, and bgp. also was there some eigrp on it too?" As much EIGRP as OSPF as BGP as IS-IS as advanced routing topics (such as redistribution) and ip addressing.

are there two sims on it like the CCNA? Disclosing the amount of questions per section or topic is a violation of the conf. agreement... but yes, there are sims..

"BTW I thought the passing score on that exam was 700?" it's 776

I hope this helps!
    Something else I wanted to add: you cannot browse back through questions, nor mark them.
  • cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    So, how far are you from getting CCNP?

Cheeblie
    The routing exam is typically, also in my case, the first exam... hence I need three more: switching (BCMSN), remote access (BCRAN), and troubleshooting (CIT). To complete CCDP, I would need the same first three exams, but place of the Troubleshooting exam the Design exam. I'll probably do both eventually but I don't have a time table and I'm not in any rush ;) I'll probably take the switching exam soon, but I'm still looking for a good deal on a catalyst 19xx switch...
  • techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks webmaster, as always you are most informative!
    information belongs to the public! hack the planet!
  • jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll probably take the switching exam soon, but I'm still looking for a good deal on a catalyst 19xx switch...

webmaster, this may be of interest to you

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3046988656&category=3706

it says they will post worldwide ! :)
    Thanks Jrowe. That would be a good one... the most important thing for a switch for a cisco study lab is actually the software... it must be the enterprise edition to be able to create VLANs. The problem is that I would have to pay almost the same amount to ship it to me icon_sad.gif

Good price though...
  • sanjanasanjana Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats for ur great success. :D

Even i want to give routing exam.But i was just wondering about the material.I want to know which is the best book for this routing exam.Plz suggest me,i was in great confusion. :o

thank you
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Congratz.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • djjitdjjit Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your achievement Johan. So you decided to sit for the new Cisco CCNP syllabus. Excellent score I reckon given that you would have been one of the first few to sit this new format. My question is what sort of study material did you use? Because the books from Cisco Press for the new CCNP is not yet released.

I am hunting for switches too! I managed to get 4 x 2503's at an online auction, but its still sitting doing nothing yet. icon_rolleyes.gif

I like the comparisons you've made with the CCNA, which gives much confidence to anyone taking the BSCI.

Well done champ! icon_wink.gif

Jit
    Thanks Djjit :D

The new exam might be different, but the topics are exactly the same as the older BSCI exam (640-901), Cisco recommend study material for 640-901... indeed because there isn't anything for the new BSCI 2.0 exam yet, but it is safe to do so...
    Besides the Cisco Press book from Clare Gough I used the resources listed in:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=691

and:

icon_arrow.gifwww.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093f31.shtml icon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gif (Don't read this one... memorize it entirely!) As well as the other sample configs linked to on this page...

icon_arrow.gifIPv6 and more IPv6

icon_arrow.gifRouting protocols commands reference. I used an older version (12.1) of the command ref docs...

icon_arrow.gifConfiguring RIP

icon_arrow.gifIS-IS command reference

I've read about 20 more docs/pages at Cisco.com, which I still have in my favorites, but since Cisco changes their site structure all the time most of these links are expired... Mostly command references and Overviews (e.g. of OSPF and EIGRP) and some docs on redistributing one protocol into another protocol or routing process.

and practiced all common routing protocols commands on my 2 router-lab...

Looking back at the exam, I think the Cisco press book, the NAT docs, IPv6 reading, and router command practice in my lab would have been enough.
    I managed to get 4 x 2503's at an online auction, but its still sitting doing nothing yet
    Why? You don't need a switch for the BSCI exam, and with 4 routers you should be able to do all the practice you need... even multi-area OSPF and IS-IS...
  • djjitdjjit Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Johan, thanks for the prompt reply. Actually lost interest in the CCNP for a little while but I am back on track. That's the reason the routers were doing nothing. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have Clare Gough's 640-503 edition, not sure whether this will help.

Thanks for the links, I've bookmarked them - they look very good.

Are you planing on the switching exam next?

dj
    I have Clare Gough's 640-503 edition, not sure whether this will help

If you combine that with the free IS-IS chapters from the links I posted and the IPv6 + NAT docs, you should have full coverage... nevertheless a more up to date book might be worth the investment...
    Are you planing on the switching exam next?

Yes, they just released the new BCMSN Cisco press book for the new exam, but unfortunately it will take while to be available at a local bookstore... I'll probably sit the Security+ exam first and the switching exam in two months or so... hopefully ;)
  • sanjanasanjana Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanx a lot for lot of information.

I got interest now and now i can start my preparation.Webmaster,u r great.U really express each and everything in a very different and simple manner that everyone will get interest to start preparing for certifications.

Thank u once again
  • ksrksr Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif Webmaster,
    Congrats...
    I also passed BSCI exam and preparing for BCMSN(SWITCHING),
    can u give me some tips which I have to follow because CISCO changed exam pattern and added AVVID,QoS in switching...... icon_lol.gif
  • LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    Congrast webmaster good show..!!!!
    Thanks guys :)

@ksr: please start a new topic with your question about the BCMSN exam.
  • SundayngwuSundayngwu Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I need some links where I can get information on routing protocols as it concerns to CCNP