Options

applications that use services of transport layer

seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
hello again.Im tyin up my revision for the 607 exam and again i have questions!

im am looking for a technote that explicity details applications such as SMTP SNMP and telnet etc that use the services of the transport layer and in particluar and very importantly which transport layer protocol they use such as SNMP uses UDP etc them questions always catch me out.

Is there any technotes on this site such as for net+ or does anyone know of a gud link?

or is anyone smart enough to just list them from their head here only trhe ones i need to know for 607 icon_lol.gif:D [/b]
Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '

Comments

• Options
    dieublancdieublanc Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if this answers your question but these are some of my notes from when I did Network+

http port # 80/tcp
    ftp port # 21/tcp 20 for data
    TFTP port # 69/UDP
    SMTP port# 25/tcp
    telnet port# 23/tcp
    pop3 port # 110/tcp can be used w/or without SMTP
    NNTP port # 119/tcp
    SNMP port # 161
    Gopher port # 70
    UDP=user datagram protocol=connectionless. UDP opens ports entre 2 systems but no guarentee
    FTP=app layer. Connection oriented file transfer. Tcp port 21 for control & port 20 to transfer data
    TFTP=trivial. App layer. Connectionless file transfer. UDP port 69 no password
    SMTP=app layer protocol 2 transfer email. TCP port 25 transfers email entre servers
    Pop3/IMAP=when SMTP used 2 send email these are used to retrieve it. Pop3 accesses inbox only. IMAP=others (deleted, sent etc). App layer. Pop 3=tcp port 110 imap=tcp port 143
    HTTP=app layer. TCP port 80. Transfers www docs etc.
    Telnet=app layer. TCP port 23 terminal emulation user name & pw usually required
    NTP=network time protocol. App layer. Synchronizes land & wans. UDP port
  • Options
    seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    hey thanks that helps alot ur a star, i really should have gone for network+ before ccna but oh well its done now

thakns again
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • Options
    dieublancdieublanc Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey if you get your CCNA no need for Network+ (unless you have an employer that doesn't know the difference!!!!!!)
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Check out the following for a basic overview of some of them, and the second link for a couple of lines about SNMP.

www.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/tcpipsuite.shtml

www.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/networkservices.shtml