Options

3 main Questions for security+ test ?

cchampcchamp Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
1. can the security+ test be passed with 1 book source, along with some notes and practice questions.

2.how long should it take to study?

3.what would be the book that has this thourough knowledge ?

people who took this test , point me in the right direction!!!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My opinions:

1. No way.
    2. Depends on you really. A good estimate would be minimum 1 month, maybe as long as 4 months.
    3. Most folks here seem to like the Syngress, also the Sybex is popular. I recommend either of those 2 supplemented with something smaller like the Exam Cram plus the tech notes on this site.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It really depends on your previous knowledge. I have a friend who used the technotes from here just to jog his memory and passed fairly easily.

I suggest a couple good books and a considered approach to the exam.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    cchampcchamp Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i here what you saying ,but um russ , im kinda looking for detailed information. im a student!!!
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    From my own experience....

I used 3 books (Passport, Sybex and Syngress) I would say to at least use the Sybex and Syngress book along with technotes and practice exams.

I took 2 months to study for this exam and passed the exam on the first try.

I would say that you should have at least the 2 books I mentioned above and use the tyechnotes here and practice tests from free-tests.com, mcmcse.com and here.... The practice questions in the Sybex book resemble the rea exam far better than the Syngress IMO.
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    cchamp wrote:
    i here what you saying ,but um russ , im kinda looking for detailed information. im a student!!!

Well I purchased the Syngress Sec+ book for 9 bucks and I plan on pretty much only using that plus some tech notes =P
    I heard the test was pretty straight forward so I think I would be ok with just that.

GL
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    JLLJLL Inactive Imported Users Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Assumption is the mother of all mistakes.

I felt comfortable taking the exam after using the Syngress, Sybex, and TechNotes. Depends on how well you conceptually grasp the information.

Good Luck.

JLuna
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    I didn't read any books. It was my first cert. It was part of school. I just took about 6 prep exams and studied each one.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It really all depends on your experience. Knowing what I know now, after having taken the Security+, I wish I'd gone back and done things in a different order. I wish I'd done the Linux+ before it, as well as some of the MCSA stuff, so I'd had a better understanding of some of the things the Security+ assumed of me.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    walterbyrdwalterbyrd Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you could pass the sec+ with no books. Just get the objectives from CompTIA, and look up everything on the web.

It may seem crazy, but that is how I passed the net+. I also passed the sec+, but I used the dummies books for the sec+. I took the sec+ first and didn't know any better.

I know of people who have passed the LPIC-2 by just using objectives and web. Actually, there's hardly any other way, since there is no book for the LPIC-2.

If it's any help, here are my notes for the sec+

http://synet-consulting.com/tech_notes/security.html

Everything you need to know is right there. I think it's organized like the test.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Along with my earlier advice to use the TestOut training for Linux+, (and Security+, for that matter,) I can also recommend checking out the CBT Nuggets videos. The Security+ training is excellent, as is the training for both LPIC-1 and LPIC-2.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Walter,

I have some course work so I think your notes will be enough to reinforce everything I need to know. Thanks for posting your notes. The notes on this site are great too!! I haven't used yours yet but I intend to use them as a bais for some flash cards.
    Good Post!
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP