Now starting CCNA

dpds68dpds68 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all this is my first post here .

Well here is ths story I have been in the IT feild for around 12 Years almost all of them as a Hardware tech on the network side basic TCP/IP stuff setting up new systems on the network with correct IP's , subnet's and gateways e.t.c. and adding PC's to the domain .

I have now started to get some certs behind my name I just finished a Advanced Computer maintenence and Networking 4 Month course at my Local University and Passed with a "A" (also the higest marks in the class) icon_eek.gif so my Instructor said that I should do CCNA I signed up yesterday and the classes start at the begining of next month, icon_confused.gif what I want to know is what should I study or read up on before starting ?

Thank you

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    dpds68 wrote:
    Hello all this is my first post here.
    Welcome!
    dpds68 wrote:
    what I want to know is what should I study or read up on before starting ?
    It sounds like you have more than the basics covered already so at first many topics will be familiar. You could invest some time in becoming familiar with the Cisco site and Cisco products (ie. the routers and switches) and of course read our CCNA FAQ in case you haven't yet: www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7268
  • dpds68dpds68 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you I am reading through the CCNA FAQ now.

To be honest I am a bit worried that I dont have enough Networking back ground to Start CCNA but I am prepared to put in the hard work that this Old man need's to do.

We have about 4 Cicso routers here in the office but I wont be touching them what sim do you reccomend ?
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dpds68 wrote:

To be honest I am a bit worried that I dont have enough Networking back ground to Start CCNA but I am prepared to put in the hard work that this Old man need's to do.

Dont be so negative,if you can sit and read the books you will have no problem.The hardest part is always starting.But then again whats that saying? "You cant teach and old dog new tricks" prove them wrong!
    Check out dynamips,read about it in ccnp forum.Dont waste good cash on a sim as they may be enough to pass the exam but they will do little for your confidence if you are given a real router to configure.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dpds68 wrote:
    If you're doing the Cisco Network Academy Courses, the first semester goes on and on and on about the basic network stuff -- so it's still more likely you'll be bored, rather than baffled by the material. TCP/IP (and subnetting) is covered again in the 2nd semester (almost an exact repeat from the first semester) so people who don't catch on the first time, get a second shot at it.

Check out the www.learntosubnet.com web site - it's in the FAQ. You can save the practice subnetting questions web site for when you're doing the class (we don't want to scare you off before you start).

Trying to figure out how old you are -- did you have to carve your first router out of blocks of wood when you were growing up? Or are you younger, which means your first router was built out of legos? icon_lol.gif

Welcome, and good luck! :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Probably lego LOL I am 38 icon_sad.gif and now going back to school .

Anyone knows about Bryant Advantage Ultimate CCNA Study Package I am getting it from a Friend will that be of any help ?

As for the Routers at work we have some cisco 3660 and one 3745 and at the other Location one really huge mother of a Router (Cant remember the Model) .
    Ha -- just a puppy! If one of my college buddies hadn't wrapped his '67 Firebird around a tree I'd know someone with a car older than you! icon_lol.gif

His website may come off like an infomercial, but I've only heard people say good things about Chris's material (and training). Definitely worth a look!. icon_thumright.gif
  • antonio banderasantonio banderas Member Posts: 102
    Mike,

You've got all those CISCO Certs? You need to get out more

:D

November is the date of my test (Possibly for the ICDN version of the CCNA)
    Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III
    Thank you I will keep you all posted on how it's going,

Oh Mike funny about the car . :D
    You need to get out more
    You're right! But I am planning on taking some time off this year and going on a trip.... maybe to San Jose. :D
    Hey can anyone point me to some links on learning Binary (Something that a 5 Year old will understand)
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    dpds68 wrote:
    Hey can anyone point me to some links on learning Binary (Something that a 5 Year old will understand)

http://www.learntosubnet.com
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Great site I have learnt alot so far :D
  • Config-DanConfig-Dan Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When i started the cisco ccna academy back in 2005 i thought what the hell am i doing here, but i found out i love networking and binary was one part that i actually caught on quick too, now subnetting thats a whole problem by itself, so if anyone has any tips on subnetting it would help alot.
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Subnetting is definitely confusing at first, but I think its one of those things that after you work with it for a while it just sorta clicks in your head and makes sense. Don't worry about it...just keep doing subnetting labs and eventually it will flow.
  • Config-DanConfig-Dan Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    is there any subnetting practice software.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    you could use webmasters subnet calculator to vefiry your answers.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15737
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.