Options

MS Press or Sybex?

Hi, just want to get a few opinions about which book I should get to study for 70-270. I'm leaning towards the Sybex book (Windows XP Study Guide, 3rd Edition), but have read great things about the MS Press Self-Paced Training Kit as well. Anyone have any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have both books and they are both good in my opinion.

However, I use the MSP book as my main source and the Sybex as my secondary source and if I need a "better" explanation on something.

The MSP book seems to follow more along with the objectives than the Sybex book with less skipping around.

But as everyone on here says you should use more than one source, So if you have the resources, go for both.

Nerbooks.com has both for great prices and I got mine in 3 days!

Good luck
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Well I used MS press for 270... Still check Syngress... they are IMO the best books for MS (at least 290, 291, 293, 294 and 29icon_cool.gif.

Check them out!
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Financial resources aren't really a problem, as my employer is reimbursing me for everything, so maybe I should consider getting them both. Here's another question though: does the Sybex book have practice labs that you can do at home?
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Almost all of the books you purchase are going to have some type of test engine or practice test you can take.

I'll echo what the others say and suggest purchasing both. You really can't go wrong with Exam Cram, Syngress, or Sybex when used in conjunction with the Microsoft Press books.