Options

Another Am I Ready

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Well the dummies test engine 100%, 100% of the time.
Exam Cram Software High 80s low 90%
Network+ In Depth Q&A low 90's.

Sounds like I had better get this thing scheduled. I am forgetting more than I am learning. What ya think?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    I say book it! I know I'm ready whenever I'm getting in the high 80's and 90's on all of my practice tests, so go for it, and let us know how you did!
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Network+ has a relatively low passing grade, I think you should be alright. It's not as hard as you may think.

Go for it! Good luck!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    So I scheduled my test for Wednesday after a little life-drama.

I can give all of Sunday to review.
    Monday and Tuesday, I can give a couple hours each.
    Any advise?

This list if just as much for me to review when I get home from work, as much as it's for input, as I flip through the table of content of my book.

1) I feel weak in Fiber optic cable length and the sort, so I will memorize a chart there. And also the connectors, I always get them mixed up.

2) OSI I got down, except.. (goes in another thread)

3) I am thinking of skipping memorizing the contents of the frames, (header, footer, CRC...) Just doesn't seem important when I look at the% of the tests, mistake?

4) VPNs...need to cover

5) Ports, I can pass the ports test int he dummies engine and this site, 100% of the time.

6) seem to know "enough" for macOSX. But i sure would like more time with it.

7) Novell... uhh, this is going to be ugly.

icon_cool.gif Classless Inter Domain Routing

9) Subnet calculations

10) Tacacs?

11) SSH commands?

anything else...
    -Daniel
  • Options
    dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    you should be good. Brush up on your cabling specs etc. I would know what makes up a L2 header.

Novell sucks anyway, it's so boring I never study it in any test I take icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Alright, I am feeling ok in cabling, that is to say, that every chart my girlfriend can find in Net+4Dummies and Network+ 2005 IN Depth I can recite.

What do you mean by l2 header? The 4 byte FCS field?

I keep reading that there is more Mac and Novell than Windows stuff. So I am little scared of that, I am going to reread those chapters before I goto bed.

Think it's worth my time memorizing the memory addresses commonly used for NICSs (280h; 300h; 310h)
    -Daniel
  • Options
    VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    I had no questions on frame contents. Can't remember reading about anyone else having them either.

Know ports, cable lengths etc. Easy to remember and easy marks to score.
  • Options
    james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The FCS is the data link trailer, that comes after the existing data and only checks for errors, relying on upper layer protocols for error recovery. The data link header consists of things like Destination/Source MAC Address, Length, SAP's, SNAP etc. In honesty, from what I can remember, it's probably a bit more in depth than the Net+ requires, but good to know anyway.

Your more likely to get a question on what function does the Data Link layer perform, which would mostly be Arbitration (through CSMA/CD), Physical addressing (MAC) and error detection using the FCS 4-byte field.

For now, concentrate your efforts on the basic fundamentals, such as knowing the main functions of each OSI level, and you should be good.
  • Options
    Welp, just got home from the test, passed 785 I believe. Keeping shy of breaking policy here, I can say the test was harder than I expected. And had some seriously random questions about Macintosh server, Nt4 server and Kerberos. Details I didn't expect to have to come up with.

I also had only one contradictory question I can think of. So much happier about that, compared to my A+ (AIM me if you wana ask).

thanks for all the help guys, if I can do the same, let me know. Now I gotta go back the certification drawing board and see what's next.

Start on the Microsoft certs or hold off and do the CCNA? Or even Linux+?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Yeh they can sure throw some weird questions at you. Well, if it were me, I would jump on the CCNA bandwagon whilst the information you have on Network+ is still fresh, there is some overlap, particularly OSI and TCP/IP - that's what I'm doing right now. But it really depends on what you want to do. Good luck in whatever you decide!