Options

Router hardware setup

HushangHushang Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I purchased a 2514 router off of ebay, and I recieved it. I am having a bit of trouble though, when I plug up the rollover cable to the PC it doesn't detect the cable, I think I need a AUI adapter but I am not sure..can anyone help me please, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out CCNA TechLabs: The Hardware

The rollover cable works with an adapter to connect the PC serial port to the router console port.

If you are skipping a switch and want to connect the router directly to your PC, then you'd use a cross-over cable -- along with the Transceiver. There's a picture in the hardware link. Make sure you get an AUI to RJ45 version. Sometimes people are vague on eBay to get rid of their old Coax or Fiber Transceivers.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ah i see thankyou do you or anybody know where i can get a AUI adapter?
  • Options
    hectorjhrdzhectorjhrdz Member Posts: 127
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Here's a link for a new transceiver - $12 for new isn't bad

http://www.anthonypanda.com/product.php?prd_id=32&opt_id=57
  • Options
    I ordered a AUI adapter off ebay for 13 bucks, i also talked to my instructor and he let me borrow his aui adapter until i get mine, here is my problem, my pc does not have a female DB connection, is there a way i can connect to the router with a rolloever from my pc to the aui adapter then to the router?
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You'll actually need two transceivers if you want to use both ethernet interfaces (a 2514 has two). If you get the right transceiver, then you call plug it into any NIC with a crossover cable or into a switch with a standard cable.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Hushang wrote:
    Hello all, I purchased a 2514 router off of ebay, and I recieved it. I am having a bit of trouble though, when I plug up the rollover cable to the PC it doesn't detect the cable, I think I need a AUI adapter but I am not sure..can anyone help me please, thanks.
    Hushang wrote:
    I ordered a AUI adapter off ebay for 13 bucks, i also talked to my instructor and he let me borrow his aui adapter until i get mine, here is my problem, my pc does not have a female DB connection, is there a way i can connect to the router with a rolloever from my pc to the aui adapter then to the router?

It sounds like you're trying to plug a roll-over cable into the AUI via a transceiver (AUI adapter)?

Are you trying to setup a terminal connection with your router with this rollover cable? If so, you can not plug that into the AUI port, you have to get a DB-adapter. Or buy a config cable with the adapter built-in.

Check:
    http://www.anthonypanda.com/product.php?prd_id=33&opt_id=58%22

or: http://www.anthonypanda.com/product.php?prd_id=166&opt_id=235
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    ah ok, i see thankyou, i forgot u have to connect to the router through a serial port on the pc.