For those who passed

ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
hi and congratulations, can you tell the board how you achieved your passing score. What study material, Books, study guides,
practice exams or videos did you use. How long to study, thankyou.
Richard Krenzel

Comments

• Im not wayneIm not wayne Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the Guide to A+ Hardware published by Thompson (I believe) I also used selftestsoftware.com's pratice tests.
    A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

70-270- Book in progress
    70-290- coming soon
    70-291- coming soon
    70-293- coming soon
    70-294- coming soon
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Resource #1: Nearly 7 years of experience working with PCs
    Resource #2: TechNotes from this site
    Resource #3: A+ FastPass by Sybex
    Resource #4: Practice tests on this site and mcmcse.com

Got an 801 on Hardware and 806 on OS
  • ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
    thankyou for your help, I would really like to
    hear from as many people as possible.. who have passed
    and what they found helpful thanks
    Richard Krenzel
  • cchampcchamp Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey i used sybex book a+ complete 3rd edt., anyway the book is understandable ,.. from my test and hearing others you need to know 4 things well the printing process, memory, devices on the mother boardand its connectors, different cpu's. there is mre things to know but the test is favored on these things specialy. i also look at practice Q's from actual tests.com
    4 things well the printing process, memory, devices on the mother boardand its connectors

are there any good study guides for the above, and configuring, ports,
    and modems also, thanks
    Richard Krenzel
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ricktea wrote:

Experience.

My exam was long before there were forum like this one...perhaps I would have prepared differently but at the time it was walk in cold with the objectives and maybe Meyers Book (which I bought about a month before my exams).

Best way to learn it is to use it, really.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ricktea wrote:
    4 things well the printing process, memory, devices on the mother boardand its connectors

are there any good study guides for the above, and configuring, ports,
    and modems also, thanks

Have you looked that the Technotes here yet?
    http://www.techexams.net/technotes.php

How about the stickies in the forum?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    When I started for a company after 18mos in the IT business, I was told that I had 90 days to become A+ certified, or I would be fired. They gave me a pile of books that I probably couldn't finish in 90 weeks much less 90 days.

What worked for me was taking a practice test before I hit the books to find out what I needed and did not need to focus on. If you have more time, you'll be able to review most of the material.

I don't know your personality, but nothing motivates me to study like a scheduled exam date!

Good Luck!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • DruidDruid Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I kicked off in February this year with PC Servicing Modules One,Two and Three at my local college (evenings part time) which took me up to June and gained me three NCF's in the process, (don't forget I am a total newbie icon_wink.gif . I used The PC Support Handbook by David Dick for reference as suggested by the college and found it informative reading.

Then went on to the A+ Hardware Core in July, 10 week (30 hours)part time study, book used was Exam Cram 2 and the interactive CD's (reading make me fall asleep icon_lol.gif )
    Also used this site more often than not plus 'Measure Up' Certification v8.88 interactive exams, I found the more different interactive stuff I could my grubby hands on the better!

I'm currently studying the software side of the A+ and using purely the course material as supplied by GTS learning to the college.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
    I used
    Myers book
    Myers video
    This site
    cramexam practice questions
    ....and the web
    Try til it hurts then try some more
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    You've come to the right place. I didn't find this site until my Net+ exam.
    I was a newbie too. I started my MCSA program with an A+ class.
    Use at least 2 books, 2 practice tests
    Resources I used:
    -Mike Meyers (good for a basic outline)
    -Que A+ book (very good)
    -Measure Up practice test (OK)
    -Test Out practice test (very good; large database of questions)

Hands on is essential for having a practical grasp of what you're studying. I built a computer, configured it, networked it, and now use it as a practice server.
    Most of the textbooks only mention legacy technologies and what they are. You will probably need more detail. There is a lot of info on practice exams that can help with this. Same goes for troubleshooting.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    Plantwiz wrote:
    ricktea wrote:

Experience.

My exam was long before there were forum like this one...perhaps I would have prepared differently but at the time it was walk in cold with the objectives and maybe Meyers Book (which I bought about a month before my exams).

Best way to learn it is to use it, really.

Same here. No books - nuthin' - just experience. Passed comfortbly on each inital test too. I better not step into the wind as all those tickets I;ve got on myself may just blow off icon_lol.gif
  • DruidDruid Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Vogon Poet wrote:
    Hands on is essential for having a practical grasp of what you're studying. I built a computer, configured it, networked it, and now use it as a practice server.

Yep totally agree, did the same, stripped down my old ME (ptui) re-built it and reloaded it with 98 :D its now networked to two other 'XP' machines and will be used for various activities including learning command line icon_thumright.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1. 5+ years helpdesk & PC Repair
    2. Mike Meyer's A+ Passbook
    3. Techexams.net resources. (Online Example Questions & Study Guides)
    4. Comptia Study books (can't remember the exact name)
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    I used Mike Meyers All in one and the mike meyers passport. The all in one is huge and intimidating, but if you dont raelly knwo much about computers (which was the case with me at the time), it's a great starting point. His passport book is the same as all in one, only it is more focused on what you actually need to know for the test. Good luck!! :D
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
    I used the Exam Cram 2 Book, the Faster and Smarter A+ Book, the Mike Myers A+ Certification Passport Book...and of course Technotes from Tech Exam (which are really good), I also took many, many, many practice exams....I even made up my own practice exams to take, I used index cards to help me remember and drill the information that I was weak in...
  • powerman7tpowerman7t Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well...

My Experience (w/ hardware certification):

1. 4 semester of comp. classes in high school (not 5 star by any means but I got my foot wet!!!)
    2. Getting an A at my college on both Cisco IT Essentials I (split into 2 classes, Hardware and OS)
    3. On and off experience helping teachers with their computers in high school, and my family's computer.
    4. Reading A+ 5th edition by Ed Tittel (excellent book, by the way!!) until I wore the pages out of the Hardware chapters)
    5. Practice Tests

...And here I am.

I say that you should know in your sleep:

CPUs
    SCSI
    Printers
    Basic Troubleshooting
    Customer Service
    IRQs (there may be a question asking which IRQs are NOT used)

I got an 822 on hardware (surprised me a lot!!).
    Now I am going to take software next month (I have heard evil things about this test, though!!!)

My advice to you:

Study hard, but don't burn out!!!

Good Luck!!!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I had been tinkering with PC's for a few years, then I started consulting. I worked in the networking and PC repair/build area while I was going to college. Then, I was hired as a technician at a CompUSA Tech Shop, and they required the A+ within a certain amount of time of working there. One day, the senior tech told me that I'd been scheduled for the exams, I went down and took them, and that was that.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    hi thankyou all for your help, your advice is excellent
    I hope I am able to pass in 2 weeks from
    now, any advice on what to write down on
    some scrap paper if given to you in the exam
    Richard Krenzel
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    ricktea wrote:
    hi thankyou all for your help, your advice is excellent
    I hope I am able to pass in 2 weeks from
    now, any advice on what to write down on
    some scrap paper if given to you in the exam

You don't get any scrap paper, and you won't be allowed to bring anything with you into the testing center. That includes cellphones, jackets, anything you could conceal things in or use to store information in. The only thing you get is a pair of laminated sheets, along with a dry-erase pen to write with.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.