Options

Tips and Tricks for passing?

ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
I would really like to hear a ton of great tips and tricks for passing and memorizing, I'm one of those people who goes blank at tests
and start to panic when I'm racing the clock and then get stuck at the hard questions and start to panic more.. advice needed please
thanks
Richard Krenzel

Comments

• Options
    AdiaxAdiax Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get the Mike Meyers A+ Passport book. He specially lists what you need to know and what you don't need to know. I found it extremely helpful and affordable for this test. For example he tells you to memorize the IRQ list but tells you not to memorize the IO address list except for a few ports.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ricktea wrote:
    I would really like to hear a ton of great tips and tricks for passing and memorizing, I'm one of those people who goes blank at tests
    and start to panic when I'm racing the clock and then get stuck at the hard questions and start to panic more.. advice needed please
    thanks

1. Get as much hands-on experience as possible!
    2. Stop telling yourself you cannot take exams and start believing that you can do well.
    3. Review the objectives for the particular exam you are looking at taking
    4. Get a couple good books like Sybex and Meyers (for A+), as well as Hardware troubleshooting like Scott Mueller.
    5. Read white papers, stay on top of industry changes....and in the case of cert exams, read (re-read) the older ones that pertain to the era of hardware you are tested on.

Take your time, there is no rush :)

If you have any questions post in the forum and we'll help you out.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    I found A+ to be something of a "kitchen sink" test (as in everything but).

Study 2 books (Mike Meyers, Sybex, Syngress, Que, etc.)
    Use 2 different practice exams (different from the books - e.g. Measure Up, Exam Cram, Test Out, etc.) These are crucial. They test your knowledge and can add significantly to it.
    Any application of your knowledge is great too.

Believe me when I say you're not racing the clock. You will have plenty of time to finish. I thought that too. I was done in less than 40 minutes, and I don't have an IT background.

It is so sweet to get that first certification! Good luck.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.