I am MCSA 2003.. Should I upgrade to MCSE 2003

I have been giving it some thought and I am wondering if i should take the time to upgrade.. or wait and try one of the new generation certs. I have all the materials to upgrade.. Just need to make the time. I believe I have to take four exams to do so:

284 or Sec+

Thoughts?

Comments

• eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    I don't have any thoughts on the matter as it depends on your situation, but you need only 3 exams: 293, 294, 297/298.
    witty comment
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    id complete the remianing 4 exams to become mcse, once the new client/servers are released the new generation will allow upgrade paths for MCITP Systems admin and MCITP systems engineer paths etc. also from my studies over last couple of weeks 293 and 294 contain some really good course material.
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    ...but you need only 3 exams: 293, 294, 297/298.
    It depends on what elective he took to get his MCSA. Some count as electives for both MCSA and MCSE, some don't.
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    True.
    witty comment
  • tuscanituscani Member Posts: 121
    Thanks.. I am pretty sure I need four since I used my A+\Net+ as an electrive for my MCSA
  • MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I started with M$ certs in 2003 as a sysadmin. When I got my MCSA I swore I wouldn't touch a M$ exam again, as I hated the M$ 'way of studying' (people that have done several vendor exams know what I'm talking about icon_confused.gif ) . Then I ' gave in' and added the Security speciality due to me then focussing on security. Now I'm preparing for the last MCP's to eventually complete my MCSE (deadline next month). As I'm solely focusing on network security now, it won't be that useful to me. People have different reasons for getting a specific certification. My reason is to become more 'well-rounded'. Throw in that fact that M$ exams get easier the more you complete, the last four exams are far easier than the first four icon_cool.gif
    What is your reason for considering the upgrade?

If you deal with Windows Servers in an enterprise environment on a regular basis, you should be able to do it in two months. Good luck
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Its all about your current situation. You are pretty close, what are you going to study if you do not pursue MCSE? CCNP?
  • tuscanituscani Member Posts: 121
    Thanks for the feedback guys.. I havethought about upgrading.. but I was sitting in a job interview recently and one of the techs interviewing me looked at my resume and asked why I had not obtained my MCSE.. I thought about it and got to thinking.. Good question!

I cause he was just impressed by my exp and was suprised I did not have it. I wanted to get my Sec+. And since that counts as an elective, I might as well do the MCSE upgrade! :)

Plus I have several years with server 2000\2003 administration. So it shoudn't be too hard. I am also reluctant since that 70-292 exam kicked my ass. I guess it should be expected since we all know the upgrade exams are generally more difficult.

I am not sure where I will go from there. I don't have much interest in CCNP. But I plan to always keep my CCNA current (I recertify Monday!)
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    justindu wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback guys.. I havethought about upgrading.. but I was sitting in a job interview recently and one of the techs interviewing me looked at my resume and asked why I had not obtained my MCSE.. I thought about it and got to thinking.. Good question!

I cause he was just impressed by my exp and was suprised I did not have it. I wanted to get my Sec+. And since that counts as an elective, I might as well do the MCSE upgrade! :)

Plus I have several years with server 2000\2003 administration. So it shoudn't be too hard. I am also reluctant since that 70-292 exam kicked my ass. I guess it should be expected since we all know the upgrade exams are generally more difficult.

I am not sure where I will go from there. I don't have much interest in CCNP. But I plan to always keep my CCNA current (I recertify Monday!)

One thing I hate about the IT industry is the current state of certifications - especially when job hunting.

One interview they could care less that I have Security+ and the next it was the main reason why I got the interview...really depends on job and the person interviewing you.

I personally just landed a nice job and they require Security+ and request you work tward an MCSE....the ironic fact is this is for a programming position.

So while MCSE is quite high in the "certification food chain" - it is not always the deal breaker.

All that being said...if you are asking yourself if you should get an MCSE....then you already know the answer to that question :)

Good luck icon_lol.gif