Options

STP/RSTP...

mp3spymp3spy Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone have any good analogy's for STP/RSTP Concept...?? The ICND book explains it over too many pages icon_cry.gif

I havn't seen too many people complain about STP questions on the exam, maybe I am stressing too much icon_rolleyes.gif

-D
Ok CCNA BREAK IS OVER, TIME FOR CCSP!!!

Comments

• Options
    jbkmjbkm Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try writing all the valid information, you will see that the ideas behind it are pretty easy and alot of that information in that chapter is filler. My notes for those are only like 1 page!

BTW what book are you using?
  • Options
    mp3spymp3spy Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jbkm wrote:
    Try writing all the valid information, you will see that the ideas behind it are pretty easy and alot of that information in that chapter is filler. My notes for those are only like 1 page!

BTW what book are you using?

CCNA ICND Ciso Press Self Study Book....Its not that bad, I just need to re-read things constantly to get the picture in my head clearly. Writing diagrams and notes on an extra large white boards a lot as well!!!

-D
    Ok CCNA BREAK IS OVER, TIME FOR CCSP!!!
  • Options
    cisco_troublecisco_trouble Inactive Imported Users Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    STP is the protocol which prevents layer 2 loops in a switched network. It designates which ports on the switch should be forwarding and which should be blocking in order to eliminate any loops in the network. Loops causes broadcast storms and flooding etc etc. Loops are caused by redundant links in a network.

RSTP is Rapid STP, its works the same except it incorporates all the extra features that stp but does it faster and easier

hope this helps
    "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
  • Options
    ObligedObliged Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In laymen's term, RSTP does not need to use the "Listening" state like STP.
    Convergence time happens in a blink of an eye with RSTP instead of 30-50 seconds a device with STP.
    roses are #FF0000
    violets are #0000FF
    all my base
    are belong to you
  • Options
    lootitall12345lootitall12345 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know one switch is designated as the "Root Bridge". A switch becomes the root bridge by its priority and MAC address. There is a default number for priority but I couldn't exactly tell you what it is. I think its 32 thousand and some change. Anyways, it pretty much whoever has the lowest MAC address unless you change the priority. Once the root bridge is picked all the switches in the same network will fall in place in hierachal format under it.
    Too much info for one day....