Options

LPIC Reading Material

Alright, so up until now there hasn't been much in the way of study material for the LPI certs, especially not LPIC-2. That's all changed, however, and I have the proof right here on my desk.

O'Reilly: LPI Certification in a Nutshell (Second Edition)

The description on the site is still from the first edition, and states that it doesn not cover anything past the 101 and 102 exams. However, when you look closer at the cover, you'll notice the black banner across the top left that states "2nd Edition, Pass Both LPIC-1 & LPIC-2". It does, indeed, cover both sets of exams, and I am using it as we speak. The second edition was printed July 1st, 2006, and is definately up to date with the lastest exams.

Aside from that, I can also recommend everyone head over to CBT Nuggets and check out their training on both LPIC-1 and LPIC-2, done by an excellent instructor: Perry Fizzano.

Thought that might be of help to those who are in the same boat that I am, and desperately need better study material for the LPIC exams.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    For LPIC-2, this is the best ressource I know of:
    http://www.snow.nl/dist/htmlc/index.html
    Good luck slowhand, if you need any advice on LPIC-1, I'm here to help :)
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    I think Sybex has one too... I do not know if it's good or not.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think Sybex has one too... I do not know if it's good or not.

I looked at the Sybex book, and it seemed pretty good, actually. I went with the O'Reilly book only because it covers both exams and I already have the CBT Nuggets for both sets of exams. (The fact that my work purchased it for me doesn't hurt, either.) The Sybex book only covers LPIC-1, and I'm fairly sure they'll be coming out with a LPIC-2 book, once the popularity of these certs begins to pick up more steam.

• Options
    zero-g-smithzero-g-smith Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After the first of the year I want to start working on Linux certs. I have xandros installed and played around with it but I must admit I have not had much time to learn as I have been working on my CCNA the last 3 months.

Anyway my question is this. I really like the look and feel of Novells suse. Since Im a total noob should I buy the full version of suse and go for the linux + exam or should I shoot right for lp-1?

Also. Every job I see that mentions linux say they want 3 to 5 years running linux servers....so I guess is linux a route I should take after working on microsoft certs?

I actually would just love to work with cisco routers but it seems you cant just get that kind of job. everything is rolled up together anymore.

any thoughts?
  • Options
    I'd say go for the Linux+ first, especially if you have no prior Linux experience. I learned a lot from doing the Linux+, and a lot of that study material spans the LPIC-1, and even some of LPIC-2. As for buying SuSE. . . there is no difference between OpenSuSE.org and the "corporate" edition. It's the same with Red Hat's Fedora Core and the Enterprise Server. The difference is that you're buying support from the parent company, and you're "officially supported" if you have to call them for help.

(Note: this is from the mouths of the SuSE and Red Hat employees at Linuxworld '05 and '06)

• Options
    zero-g-smithzero-g-smith Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see. Well I think I would like to get certified via Novell. As they used to be the big guns and are pushing really hard.

I will go for the linux +. I seen at my local Fry's the new sybex Linux + book. It looks so small compared to my cisco books, not very thick at all.

No reviews that I can find on this book tho. What did you use to study for the Linux +
  • Options
    I actually used the Sybex book for Linux+, the little bit I did read, that is. Mainly, I used TestOut and a whole lot of hands-on experience. As soon as my bosses found out I wanted to take the test, they immediately handed me every *NIX project we had coming up, so there was no lack of "lab work" to be done.

• Options
    boxer_sohoboxer_soho Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a newbie in linux.I have that same problem searching for linux certs.
    I have recently done ccna.so here is my experience.

Linux+ is not recommended in industry.so if u r in doubt that u will get a job thru this,forget this option.CompTia book for linux+ is best for its preparation.

RHCE Minimun 2 years hand on exp. needed to even think of attempting it.

Novell certs are new.They maybe be good in future.

Lpi level1 is what i opted for.Its a vendor neutral like cwnp.Just watch linux tutor videos from cbt and u will find it easy to sail through.The more u gain height(work hard) the more potential energy u have(credentials and demand in market).Also it has more value in industry.
    Engineer( Electronics & communication) working in R & D
    CCNA