Options

Failure rate ?

ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
was interested in knowing when people do fail thr a+ hardware test, by what score do they usually fail at statistically?

Do the usually fail big time or just slightly under the passing score?

I wanted to know because a few extra days of extra studying and review might make the difference of me just passing. thanks, and do people usually pass or fail the first time?
Richard Krenzel

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ricktea wrote:
    was interested in knowing when people do fail thr a+ hardware test, by what score do they usually fail at statistically?

Do the usually fail big time or just slightly under the passing score?

I wanted to know because a few extra days of extra studying and review might make the difference of me just passing. thanks, and do people usually pass or fail the first time?

If you look through the posts here, sounds like people who failed barely fail.

It's probably best to concetrate on the Pass. It's an easy exam and it has the lowest passing score of all the exams. 505 and 515.

If you know the objectives and use the technotes here plus have experience this should be an easy couple of exams.

However, people do fail and it's not a measure of what you know in the field...(unless you haven't worked in the field). Take your time, read the questions on the exam - answer the ones you know, mark the ones you want a second look at.

You'll have plenty of time.

Think about passing, though...not failing.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
    I do not have any hands on tech experience can i pass
    Richard Krenzel
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ricktea wrote:
    I do not have any hands on tech experience can i pass

I don't know? What do you know?

People pass with all levels and lack of levels of experience. It's not impossible, but the experience sure makes the exams easier.

What are your goals? What is your objective or motive for taking the exam in the first place? After reviewing the objectives (and if you haven't this is at least the third time I've suggested them...so get them as this is your best starting point IMNSHO) where do you think you stand?

What materials are you using to study?

Highly recommend Meyers book. Without experience, I strongly suggest you get some old hardware and begin working through ID, installation hardware (build), troubleshooting, install OS, etc... over and over as you read through Meyers book.

This will help you gain a better picture about things he discusses.

There is a STICKY thread where you can review all the CPUs. It's my thread, but I do think it is a great place to look through all the CPUs you cannot get your hands on (if I say so myself). If someone finds something better...please let me know!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    I started my MCSA program w/ an A+ class. I had no experience in the IT field. I've studied for all of my exams in pretty much the same way, but I studied the longest for A+ hardware. I passed w/ a 602, but it was my lowest score out of all my exams. Most of the people in my class either gave up because of the time commitment or because they failed the first time.
    I can tell you they're mistake. They studied one book, knew it front to back, and thought they were ready for the test. Luckily, I'm paranoid enough to not to take a test if I keep missing questions on practice tests. I you want it, it's achievable.
    Materials for study:
    -2 text books that you must know in minute detail
    -2 independent practice tests (i.e. not practice questions from the textbooks)
    -comfortable w/ hardware (build a computer, install OS, network the computer)
    -keep up w/ the industry (magazines, websites, etc.)

Lots of legacy stuff to memorize for the test. Too much really, but it's all fair game (e.g. CPU pin-outs, AT modem commands, etc.).
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.