Options

Considering to take the A+ Certification test.

darksparkzdarksparkz Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Would it require me to take two tests for the new 2006 one? I know I have to take the Core hardware one, but what about the other ones: 220-602, 220-603, 220-604, 220-605? I'm just planning to get A+ certified to have it look better on resume for any computer related jobs. I'm planning to work as an Architect so having a bit of computer experience would look nicer.

I barely know anything about the serial ports and SCSI and such. I know much about basic hardware with experiences from building computers and stuff. I've heard about the Mike Meyer's book being a recommended one, is it updated for the 2006 tests though?

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Welcome to Techexams!

The new track isnt seperate by hardware core, and OS anymore
    It's 220-601 called A+ Essentials
    and one of 602, 603, 604 depending on your elective choice.

See:
    http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14980
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    darksparkz wrote:
    Would it require me to take two tests for the new 2006 one? I know I have to take the Core hardware one, but what about the other ones: 220-602, 220-603, 220-604, 220-605? I'm just planning to get A+ certified to have it look better on resume for any computer related jobs. I'm planning to work as an Architect so having a bit of computer experience would look nicer.

You'll still need to pass two exams.

How does having an A+ benefit an Architech? Architech's that I know need to know a bit about scale, drawing, design, codes, etc.. and not much regarding PCs and Servers aside from where their files are kept and to ensure their files are backedup.

If you decide to take the test for teh fun of it, by all means go for it! Otherwise, I personally do not see how 1 Cert will make or break your career path. FWIW
    I barely know anything about the serial ports and SCSI and such. I know much about basic hardware with experiences from building computers and stuff.

SCSI and serial and all the other ports are about building PCs (workstations) and Servers. Plug 'n Play PCs are not 'building' computers. Yep, I'm a build snob ;)

I've heard about the Mike Meyer's book being a recommended one, is it updated for the 2006 tests though?

Meyer's book is great! Whether you decide to take the exams or not, it's probably a nice addition to a library of tech books. Meyers edition that is out at the moment is his 5th and it covers the 2003 exams. So, no the 2006 books haven't hit the shelves yet, though I'm sure there is probably a pre-order at Amazon if you'd like.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    soulheavensoulheaven Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Meyer's book is great! Whether you decide to take the exams or not, it's probably a nice addition to a library of tech books. Meyers edition that is out at the moment is his 5th and it covers the 2003 exams. So, no the 2006 books haven't hit the shelves yet, though I'm sure there is probably a pre-order at Amazon if you'd like.
    I'm currently studying for the A+ cert. and rather than rush and take it before the deadline, I'm probably just gonna wait till January. I'm not a virgin with this material so to speak, but I'm the type that likes to grasp the information fully and know it in and out.

With that said, I'm using the Meyer's book (5th edition) and wasn't sure if the information covered in his book will be well enough to cover what will be on the '06 tests? Will there be that much of a change in material covered on the '06 tests than from the '03 one?

I also wanna say what a huge find this site has been for me and appreciate all the help that is offered here. Thanks! :D
  • Options
    Actually, it appears his 6th Edition has released but is still on Core/OS. Whereby the Sybex book I pre-ordered (out Nov 1, 06) cover the new objectives.

Will the material change that much? Probably not. The more current the book, the more likely it will contain the more recent technologies.

In any case, download the objectives and there may be a whole or two you'll need to research separately....but it won't be everything.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It would be really nice if we could have a Sticky for all the "new" A+ exam FAQ's.
  • Options
    DirtySouth wrote:
    It would be really nice if we could have a Sticky for all the "new" A+ exam FAQ's.

icon_confused.gif:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14980
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    dll08dll08 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yea, I am thinking about taking this 2006 essentials and then the IT portion of the test. It is basically all the same stuff from the 2003 exams with some new exceptions of questions on laptops, security, and networking. I would definately focus on the software side of the exam. Why because I hear that their is going to be alot on this portion of the exam. No the wirless, lan, wan the types of topologies example( mesh,star etc.) IP adresses, the IRQ's, Com 1-4, learn the 80386-pentium 4 processors. Also the types of routers 802.11g etc, saftey and communication stuff, printers especially. So whatever you are studying right now keep on studying. Just be aware of some of the new things the they added. :D

One more thing LEARN LAPTOPS!!!!
    Soon, I will take the CompTIA A+ exam, pass, and get a got D*** job!!! :^O