Options

VMware help please

Hey all...
Just one question.

Using Vmware which Network setting do I use to get my Xp vm to communicate with my win2k3?
I have the 2k3 on Nat but im not sure what the xp should be. I have tried all of them and I think im just missing one thing. icon_confused.gif

My home network is behind a linksys router.
Help me out please.

TIA

Cess
A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.

Comments

• Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Where are all the VMware users?
  • Options
    Gaztop1Gaztop1 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Man i been using vmware a little bit i am no expert but what i think u need to do is change your ethernet settings to Bridged ... should link the Vmware Virtual ethernet adapter with your actual host operating systems adapter

hope that helped
  • Options
    Gaztop1 wrote:
    Hey Man i been using vmware a little bit i am no expert but what i think u need to do is change your ethernet settings to Bridged ... should link the Vmware Virtual ethernet adapter with your actual host operating systems adapter

hope that helped

Bridged for both virtual machines?
  • Options
    Gaztop1Gaztop1 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No only bridged from the Ethernet adapter side on VMWARE the VMWARE app itself will do the rest... as you know it installs its own adapter so should automatically bridge the connections.

i have used it in lab environment and all we did was leave the host machine settings as they were and then setup bridged connection on VMWARE side, then ofcourse setup an IP address for your W2K3 OS, then u can use it to surf net or use it as another networked machine.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you want the virtual machines to participate on your home network and not be separated, you can just use the bridged network for both VM's, let them get DHCP addresses from your linksys router.

If you're studying for your MCSE this probably isn't what you want. You are going to want a separate network so you can run your own DHCP and DNS server without screwing up the stuff you have running at home. To do this, put them both on the host-only network or the NAT network. You can then either let the Built-in DHCP server within VMWare assign them IP addresses, give them both static IP's in the same subnet range, or give the w2k3 server as static IP, install DHCP server on the server, configure the scope, and let XP get an IP from that.

Note that doing host-only will not enable you to access the Internet from the VM's without additional routing configuration on the host machine.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    I would NOT like to have it join my home network.
    I would like to just have the Winxp VM to join the 2k3 VM's Domain.
    Thats ALL.

I dont understand why this is the way it is.
    Makes me feel so dumb icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    ColraColra Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Cessation,

If i understand you, than is your 2003 on the same VM-Host as the XP-Machine.

I would use a private Switch in VM (Custom / VMNet2) for BOTH Systems. So your VM can comunicate and are fully shielded to your rest Network.

If you like that your VM´s could reach internet (over your external Router) than you should use bridge Network insted of NAT (except you have to use your Host-IP)

maybe this will help

with best regards, Colra
  • Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    I always set up my practice labs within vmware and I use a lan segment for each network I setup, so lan 1 and I connect each machine for that network to it, that way it's separated from my host machine, my home network and anything else, but they can communicate just fine, sorta like setting them up on the lan at work......then i build up all neccessary servers like dhcp, dns and whatever else

vmware is great for it's networking capabilities, I was able to setup a remote access test lab just by using different lan segments
    get back to studying!!!