Options

Frame-relay FECN BECN...

Hello Everyone!

Just a quick one: From my understanding, the Frame switch sets FECN bit to 1 if a congestion is detected. Also, it sets the BECN bit to frames returning to the src router to indicate that a congestion lays ahead.

If I do a sh frame-relay pvc, the stats show 3 cols: input pkts, output
pkts and in bytes.

Input pkts has: in BECN and out BECN.
Output pkts has: out FECN
In Bytes has: in FECN

Whyicon_confused.gif:

Why a DTE (router) will send a BECN? or Why a router will send out a FECN? Shouldn't a router only receive a BECN and a FECN? not send them out?

Maybe if someone could tell me how the congestion control flow is... I could figure this out... icon_cry.gif

Saludos amigos!

Comments

• Options
    jbkmjbkm Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i thought the frame relay switch set the FECN and the recieving router would set the BECN bit when sending back the info. i could be wrong tho!
  • Options
    jbkmjbkm Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    disregard, this is wrong. the frame relay switch sets both fecn and becn bits!

Thanks for the question so now i know the answer!
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Yep... but does the router re-send those bits?
  • Options
    JNekoJNeko Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep... but does the router re-send those bits?

Bump, I asked the same question to myself when I saw the sh frame-relay pvc output:

RouterA#sh frame-relay pvc
    PVC Statistics for interface Serial0/0 (Frame Relay DTE)
    Active Inactive Deleted Static
    Local 1 0 0 0
    Switched 0 0 0 0
    Unused 0 0 0 0
    DLCI = 100, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial0/0
    input pkts 1300 output pkts 1270 in bytes 21212000
    out bytes 21802000 dropped pkts 4 in pkts dropped 147
    out pkts dropped 0 out bytes dropped 0 in FECN pkts 147
    in BECN pkts 192 out FECN pkts 147
    out BECN pkts 259 in DE pkts 0 out DE pkts 214
    out bcast pkts 0 out bcast bytes 0
    pvc create time 00:00:06, last time pvc status changed 00:00:06

If the FR switch sets BECN/FECN bits, then how can there be outbound FECN/BECN packets being sent from the DTE router?? Is it setting bits also? Should I interpret this as the DTE router itself is experiencing congestion?

Thanks for any help.
    J
    A common type of network bridge, in which the host stations are unaware of their existence in the network.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    When the frame switch detects network congestion it sets the FECN bit in a frame to the receiving router. Once the receiving router receives that frame, and sends a frame back to the other router, the Frame switch will remember that the FECN bit was set, which will set the FECN bit in this frame, which tells the original sender "SLOW DOWN."

For example:

R1 sends a frame to FR Switch destinated for R2

Frame switch detects congestion, sets FECN bit.

Frame is forwarded to R2

R2 sends a frame to the Frame switch destined for R1

Frame switch sets BECN bit

Frame is forwarded to R1

R1 knows to slow down.

A router can also detect that a particular frame has experience congestion and set the FECN bit. It's more common that you see the switch set the FECN bit though.
  • Options
    JNekoJNeko Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When the frame switch detects network congestion it sets the FECN bit in a frame to the receiving router. Once the receiving router receives that frame, and sends a frame back to the other router, the Frame switch will remember that the FECN bit was set, which will set the FECN bit in this frame, which tells the original sender "SLOW DOWN."

For example:

R1 sends a frame to FR Switch destinated for R2

Frame switch detects congestion, sets FECN bit.

Frame is forwarded to R2

R2 sends a frame to the Frame switch destined for R1

Frame switch sets BECN bit

Frame is forwarded to R1

R1 knows to slow down.

A router can also detect that a particular frame has experience congestion and set the FECN bit. It's more common that you see the switch set the FECN bit though.

hmmmm, not sure if I follow you 100%. At one point exactly in your example does the "out BECN pkts" and/or "out FECN pkts " fields on R1 and/or R2 change from 0 to 1?

Thanks for the reply!
    J

Edit: cleared up: http://ieoc.com/forums/t/5692.aspx
    A common type of network bridge, in which the host stations are unaware of their existence in the network.
  • Options
    Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    JUST AN FYI - most service providers are eliminating Frame Relay services and moving to all icon_arrow.gif IP and MPLS
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif