Options

MSPRESS BOOK question

CMICMI Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am trying to go through the MSPress book for the 290 exam. I am going through the configure your server exercise, but what they have in the book and what my options available are two different things. I am trying to setup the AD. Do I select typical configurations or custom and choose AD? In the book it shows the setup setting a static IP.

Can someone give me some help? I want to set this up like the book so it is the same setup as the rest of the exercises.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    I have found two things with some of the books.
    1. They skipped a step, so you're lost.
    2. You got ahead of the book and missed something along the way.
    3. They take things for granted - like you'll know how to set up a static IP address.

I guess that's three things. I suggest not using "configure this computer with the most common server options" (or something along those lines). Use custom configuration so you can go through the steps of setting up the various services. When you setup AD it will ask to setup DNS if you do not already have it installed - I suggest letting it install DNS at that point, but otherwise use custom configuration. Once your server is setup with everything you need, the exercises should be straight forward. Setup your static IP address before you add any services, otherwise Windows will complain when you try and install some services.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    This is a common mistake with a lot of tutorials. Unless you know, ahead of time, what the IP address, computer name, DGA, etc. . . is, you should go with "typical settings". You can always go back and change all of that later on, when you're getting ready to do the DC promo.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Slowhand wrote:
    This is a common mistake with a lot of tutorials. Unless you know, ahead of time, what the IP address, computer name, DGA, etc. . . is, you should go with "typical settings". You can always go back and change all of that later on, when you're getting ready to do the DC promo.

Hey Slowhand,
    I just want to make sure that I am not giving bad info. Are you suggesting that he configure the server with typical setting as in the wizard that automatically installs DNS, DHCP, etc?
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    No, when installing the machine, at first. Using the wizards is alright, but I meant setting all the static settings after initial installation of the OS. After that, choosing to do the DC promo or let the wizards do it for you, is up to you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    CMICMI Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went ahead and did the typical settings. It gave me a screen of what the settings looked like in the book. I have setup DNS and AD in the custom setup before. This time around I want to ensure it is what the setting the book is using so I can make sure I get the same results as the book gives me.

Thanks for the reply.

Also, any other books you recommend? i was thinking on getting the sybex book as well.