Options

IT Contractual JOB or Stick to current non-IT job

I got a job offer here's the work details

Deskside Support - Technician Job
Responsibilities 8+ week contractor to create documentation and provide role out support for VPN client release to remote users. Assist DM with clean up projects onsite. Required Skills Experience in desktop projects; good written and verbal communication skills; Excellent Windows XP technical skills; Strong MS Access 2003 experience with Cisco VPN;

The job seems to be interesting for me since this would be my chance for the step in the door. But right now im wrking full time in manufacturing company a non- IT work related but establish and good benefits .

Would you think i grab this offer or should I stick to the current one which is more stable. Im still trying to find out if this job got a contractual to permanent.

Comments

• Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well you really have to look at your options.

#1 - Is their any chance after the 2 months that they will do a direct hire?

#2 - Can you afford to be out of work after the contract is up while you look for other jobs?

#3 - Does the job pay enough for you to be comfterable with.

#4 - Do you want to wait until a larger contract comes up - maybe 10-18 months etc..

You have to look at all your options and see what is the best fit for you.

Yes it would be excellent experience and would be great for your resume, however at the end of 2 months - what will you do if you do not have a job?

Hope this helps..
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    I made the mistake of leaving a permanent IT job and accepting a 2-month IT contract. Now the end of the contract is nearing and I am starting to worry about getting interviews in the next few weeks. I hate to have that feeling, it makes me feel uneasy.

I will never accept a contract that short, ever again.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    Olajuwon -

I agree. 2 months is just to short IMO. I am talking with a distract attorney's office for an 18month contract job.

This will give me plenty of time to look for further jobs etc..

Also with a longer contract they might want to hire you full time after because they have seen a lot of your work.

Good luck and I hope you find a job soon!
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    sharptech wrote:
    Olajuwon -

I agree. 2 months is just to short IMO. I am talking with a distract attorney's office for an 18month contract job.

This will give me plenty of time to look for further jobs etc..

Also with a longer contract they might want to hire you full time after because they have seen a lot of your work.

Good luck and I hope you find a job soon!

Sharptech,

An 18-month contract would be great. I hope you get it.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    Thanks -

The process just started - waiting for an interview call - we will see how it goes- will keep you updated..

Jet - let us know what you are doing - and I think Olajuwon had some great insight on a 2 month contract job.
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    sharptech

good points I will use that one on my interview actually what im talking with right now is just the recruiter not the actual client and it seems they can not give me a straight answer about contract to hire. I will open that to the direct employer on my interview.

Olajuwon

thanks for sharing your experience on short term contractual job