Options

linking domains

Hopefully someone can throw some light?

Behind my router is 2 seperate domain controllers. one has a AD called lets say alpha and the other an AD called bravo.

Can someone explain how to get them setup so they talk to each other and I can log into either domain. ie my XP pc can be logged into say the alpha domain DC but also access resources on the bravo DC

Plus ( I'll assume thickness here :D ) I presume a forest is what this is meant to be? ie my top level domain may be mycompany.com ( that isnt real by the way ) and my two domains in it are alpha.mycompany.com and bravo.mycompany.com

God I hope this makes sense !! icon_redface.gif

Help a noobie if you can :D:D:D

Thanks guys
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the two domains were in a forest there would be an implicit trust between the two domains and it would just be a matter of granting users in alpha permissions to resources in bravo.

If they were not in the same forest you would to to Active Directory Domains and Trusts on each server and set up a trust to the other domain.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    thanks for the reply

OK so I have my 2 seperate domains, any info on how to put them in a forest together? or easy guide to adding the trusts to each other.

can I link to it by ip somehow?

Sorry to sound so thick, I just really cant get my head around this. icon_cry.gif
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    As blargoe said, if the domains are part of the same forest then they will already have implicit trusts.

If they are a separate forset each, you must create a trust between them. You can do so from the Active Directory Domains and Trusts mmc.
    See here for info on creating forest trusts.
    witty comment