Options

Anyone Currently Going to School?

filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am currently going to Mt Sierra college for a bachelors in Telecommunications. Will be going to University of Denver in a year to start my masters in Telecommunications with a focus on Wireless networks.

Anyone else going to school/have plans for school?
CISSP, CCNA SP
Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller

Comments

• Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Yea I just started, currently attending a local community college for my Associates in Computer Science or Computer Info. Systems (not sure yet). And planning on transferring to a University for my Bachelors in Information Systems or Management. Sucks to be 22 years old and just starting school, but I started into the field after high school, so this is what I gotta do.
  • Options
    int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Recently started back to get a master of science in electrical and computer engineering. My employeer wont pay for certs, but will pay 100% college tuition. Go figure.
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    My employer will only pay for certs, so I have a huge cert-todo-list for 2007. I hope to start at the University of London (Masters in Information Security) in 2008 though icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    well, I started back to college when I was 24/25, will finish my bachelors at 27 and will finish my masters at 29.

Nothing wrong with that!
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I actually got a BA in Philosophy years ago which explains how I became a bartender, server and finally a restaurant manager. It wasn't until my son was due that my wife insisted that I get another career. She had something against my 60-80 hour weeks. I started in seat classes at a local Tech school for a certificate. Before I got my certificate, I was able to get my first job. I decided to switch over to the online program to get an AA. I did this so I could say I had a degree in Computer Science and a BA. One year after I quit my restaurant job, I was offered an IT job that paid the same money as the restaurant after bonus with only a 40 work week. Was I happy about this? YES!!! I took a severe paycut for a while but it was worth it. I now have time to spend with my wife and son. I am currently working on my Master's in Management/ Information Security.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I'm still in school, which I have mixed feelings about.

turning 21 in exactly a month. 4th year (last year) B.Sc. for Computer Science with Management Science option.

I have plans to pursue a masters part-time, and I'm quite interested in going to the states, particularly Michigan or New York. Any suggestions?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Bighornsheep,

I go online and love it because it works so well with my schedule. You have to be able to force yourself to do the work but it works well for me. If I was going to go in seat I would have seriously considered Norwich. The program is backed by the NSA and is excellent. (it may be DoD I forget). Check them out and see what you think.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just finished my Bachelor's in Management Information Systems. Currently working on a couple certs. The thought of going back to school for Masters does not interest me at all.
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    Just in high-school for now :D
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Currently attending College of Marin, finishing up two A.S. degrees in CIS, and a computer science/electrical engineering transfer degree. Hopefully, with a little bit of more work, I can finally get all the units I need to go across the bay, to UC Berkeley, in about two years. (Lots and lots of units to go, and money doesn't seem to want to pour in without doing that full-time w**k stuff.)

What am I going to do when I get there? Masters, PhD? The answer will probably be. . . yes.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    WindowsLMWindowsLM Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DirtySouth wrote:
    I just finished my Bachelor's in Management Information Systems. Currently working on a couple certs. The thought of going back to school for Masters does not interest me at all.
    This basically sums me up as well. Finished my MIS in May 05, and I had liked the programming involved (VB.NET, ASP.NET, SQL along with various relational databases) but i could not find a job to get experience to save my life.

I am currently working on Net+ with plans of going for my MCSA. Down the road i might pursue MCDBA, MCAD or MCSD, but again, that is all job depending really.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    finished school 2 mnoths ago

got a job as an admin for a smaller company now.... but i did have 4 years exp in the field before finishnig up tihs diploma and a previous diploma in databases to go along with certs
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    I teach some classes as an adjunct at a local community college. The college offers an Associates of Science Degree in network administration. I am also on the workforce development (vocational) advisiory committee for the non-degreed computer/networking program.

Each program has its strengths and weaknesses. The vocational program is based on clock hours - meaning you show up for class and clock in. Once you have 1650 hours you get a certificate of completion, but that's it. The advantage is there is more of an opportunity to do hands on work under an instructor than in an academic class.
    I noticed that 3 of the students were playing video games, and 3 were working. My concern with this is that all of the students will receive their certificate of completion, but only three of them will really know anything. The program is suggesting an A+ and Network+ but they are not mandatory.

The degree program is more valued. Ultimately, employers who hire the students out of the vocational program will care more about the certifications than the clock hours, but I have found that many computer and network support jobs require at least an associates degree. The college didn't seem to be open to the idea of combining the vocational program with the degree program. If I had to choose one - I guess I'd go for the degree - but would prefer the best of both worlds.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    I have my Bachelor's in computer science and wanted to go back for my Masters Degree in Organizational Management in Information Technology. But as I see my girlfriend struggeling to do the work load required for grad classes while working full time I'm a little apprehensive. Plus, I really want to continue knocking off certifications, which I wont be able to do while in school. It's kind of hard to tell, but from what I'm seeing in the work force, people would rather you have an MCSE or CCNA than a master's degree any day. Not sure if that's just my company or what.

From what I'm gathering, you will hit a ceiling if you dont have a BS, but the master's wont get you anything a cert can't. How does everyone else feel about that?
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems

Depends on the top management. I know I wouldnt give up getting my masters regardless because it's going to be useful down the road.

I know people that got promoted only because they have their masters. And I also know tons of unemployed PhD students.

I dont think it's a good idea to go right back into school to get your masters, but perhaps getting it part-time while working full time will work out.

With any job application, I think experience is still the most important thing, education, certification comes secondary.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    From what I'm gathering, you will hit a ceiling if you dont have a BS, but the master's wont get you anything a cert can't. How does everyone else feel about that?

From my experience & understanding a bachelor degree helps just as an average cert helps but guarantees nothing. A Master Degree will give you alot more edge than a BS will. However, in high managment a reputation and job experience over sees all degrees and certs.
  • Options
    I plan to suppliment my Bachelors and masters in telecommunications with Nortel and Cisco Certifications. They are important in a Vocational type job such as IT, Telecom, and network engineering.

I do not see certs being so important in management, Hard Sciences-Engineering (elecrical, mechanical, Nuclier Engineering) or Programming (Computer Science and Research). A PMP will probably get you farther than a CCNA or CCNP in management of Information Systems. A Masters is a must to stay competative in the management field.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    DirtySouth wrote:

Preaching to the choir my friend. How people have the motivation to do that is beyond me. I have enough trouble staying awake during my undergraduate classes. :)
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    The motivation for me is Job security and the ability to get another job quick if something happens with your current company. The masters helps this.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have an A.A.S degree in networking and am now going to Minnesota School of Business for a B.S in Information Technology and a project management certicate. I hope it will be worth it when I am done.