i passed!!!!!!!!!!!

seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
i passed this morning with a 900. Well chuffed, i want to thank every 1 that helped me out with posts and webmaster for great technotes icon_lol.gif
will be recommending this site to many others

onwards and upwards to CCNP next

hehe :D
Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    thankyou, hey can i ask you what is the first exam to take for ccnp? and which are the best books to buy? I dont want a huge pile of books as i am doing an honours degree still but i do want to be well prepped for the first ccnp exam? Any recommendations on resources since you have passed not long ago? Also does this exam recertify the ccna?

thanks alot
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
    That would be the 642-801 BSCI exam (routing) typically, but some people take the switching exam first (e.g. when they have a lot of hands-on with switches, not routers).

You will need to buy a book for the 640-901 exam, I haven't seen any 642-801 books yet, but the exam is the same, and Cisco even says you need to prepare with the current 640-901 exam, most of those books are only a couple of month old...

There are two books from Cisco Press for the BSCI exam, 1 of them is written by Clare Gough, she's one of the developers of the original BSCN course (ACRC), the routing exam before BSCI... The information in this book is excellent, it almost covers everything that is on the exam. But, I don't think it is a well written book, she talks about things in theory, then practical and then the related commands... I rather have everything about one topic together... I find that easier to remember the commands. But like I said the information is excellent, the scenario's and summaries at the end of chapters are also perfect. The book is filled with hundreds open questions, and the CD contains 231 practice questions which are also very good. I really like their test engine...

The other book from Cisco Press is written by a couple of guys, like Clare they are also CCIE. I bought the first book (by Clare) but read parts of this book also and: it's much fatter (more info, also more expensive), this means it takes longer to read it all, but may be a better reference guide after you passed the exam.

I stood in the bookstore with both books not being able to decide for over an hour and if I would have to buy one again, I still don't know if I would buy the first or the second.

Because the info from CCNA is still fresh, the first one might be excellent for you too...

There are many other publishers for this exam, I read an older book (Sybex BSCN) and I liked the writing style a lot more than in the Cisco press books, but the Cisco books are certainly more extensive.

Yes, your CCNA will be recertified every time you pass an exam that starts with 642 :D

I think routers, or a simulator, is essential for this exams, there are a lot of commands to memorize, when to use them but you need to be familiar with the output as well.

(I'm going to split this topic and move these last two posts to the CCNP forums and will include some links to the online resources I used... )
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Congrats.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • akc6991akc6991 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Seth
    Congradulations, I took the CCNA last week and got a 745, and had problems with the last Sim. Next time I will nail it. Congradulations again
    hey thanks for the info, i really dont know what book to go for, i was goin fo rthe sybex and a cisco press book and ive got an Esim and im currently building a lab but i can use the lab at uni as the uni is a cisco training centre too. I have the help of the trainers at the centre also so im not short on resources i just need to get the right books. I stood in waterstones bookstore 2day and realsied just how much cisco press must make man there were like over 15 books for ccnp and just as much for ccna. It is becoming more confusing just to pick ur study materials.

Thankyou for the help webmaster! will give it some thought.
    ok i have found this link for the CCNP track regarding the books. I have decided to buy the claire dough book you said for the cert guide which is like the exam cram book if you like but i want the other catherine paquet and dianne teare book too

this is the link

http://www.ciscopress.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={867573A8-E521-495D-B4EC-E5729B663071}&session_id={75E0A3F1-BD53-4518-9855-BA282F1E5BFA}

would this be the best way to prepare for the BSCI? what is the latest is it the 642 801 or 901 very confusing!!!

i want to buy the best books this time and not have to fill in knowleedge gaps due to lack of reading! icon_lol.gif

i cannot fin dthe second book you stated earlier
    The other book from Cisco Press is written by a couple of guys, like Clare they are also CCIE

what do you think of the practice books and flash cards books?
    642 801 is the new BSCI 2.0 exam. (640-901 = BSCI 1.0)

I've read parts of the second book a major book store on these big relaxing chairs... I have no idea why I said "guys" icon_confused.gif I think I confused it with another book cover (like you said there are many of these books... I noticed the same thing, a complete Cisco press section with dozens of books) but that is the book (Catherine and Diane..)... it says they are both 944 pages but I'm sure the second one is thicker... I think ;)

what do you think of the practice books and flash cards books?

Which ones do you mean, the ones in the book?
    Ah, I see what you mean... I think that $49 can be better spend... icon_wink.gif The two books you are going to buy are packed with practice questions already.
    so ive decided to go with those two books now, they only cover the BSCi 1.0 tho so i need the extra chapters off cisco on IS IS and i think thats it i dunno i mite wait until the 801 books come out im in no rush as i have to get my final year degree ova with i must concentrate on that to get my first class i have so far.

thankyou for your help
    No, you don't need 'an extra chapter on IS-IS'... it is already in those books.

IS-IS is also included in the BSCI 1.0 exam... the very old BSCN exam doesn't cover IS-IS. All BSCI versions do... and so do the books.

Nevertheless: www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=691