Options

Passed 70-290

deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
Took the 70-290 exam today and passed with a 940 on 42 questions with 5 sims and 1 drag and drop. The questions seemed to be a pretty even mix, but I only remember getting one question on SUS.

I finished the test and found that I marked 12 question for review. I changed 2 of the answers and felt ok, but not certain, about 7 of the remaining 10. While I was not 100% certain that I passed, I was pretty confident at the end of the exam that I did. My heart was pounding before I clicked 'end exam'. When it ended, and I saw my score, I loudly exclaimed something - I don't exactly remember, but I think it was "Oh, my God!" I tore out of the room to the front desk where the guy had my score sheet waiting and told me congratulations.

I guess I am still kind of stunned.
Thanks for this site and to everyone for their help and support!
There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same score I got. Congrats! My heart was pumping hard also when I was clicking submit.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    KAEW 1KAEW 1 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Congrats.

What materials, books, practice exam,ect did you use? I plan to take it in the next two week?

Thank you
  • Options
    SpurSpur Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    Congratz!!
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    KAEW 1 wrote:
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Congrats.

What materials, books, practice exam,ect did you use? I plan to take it in the next two week?

Thank you

I used the MS press course book and workbook and exam cram 2 as my primary source of material.

Lots of hands on - set yourself up a server and at least touch the things you did not know. A good example of where this helped me was with backup/restore and ASR. Before I started studying, I did not know what ASR specifically did or how to use it. The test sims asked about the process of using ASR, and I could not remember how to use it from my readings, so I backed up and restored a server using ASR and was able to remember the steps and what it did. I got at least 2 questions on the 70-290 specifically about ASR and probably 4 or more about backups/restore and other disater recovery in general. In fact, looking at my score sheet again, I actually aced "Manage and Implement Disaster Recovery" (and "Manage and Maintain Physical and Logical Devices").

Exam sims and review questions (including this site). Be careful not to count on these as study material - IMO they really should only be used for review. I know a guy who only used review questions and ended up failing twice. Once he went back and hit the books he passed. For as addicted as I was to exam sims and review questions, I really had to avoid putting too much stock in them as actual study material.

I bought the 70-290 (and 70-291) audio CDs from prep logic during their sale. They were ok, but were more of a broad overview, I can only suggest them for someone starting out. Prep Logic had sample training videos on their site which I actually thought were pretty good. I didn't buy the video because they were a bit pricey. Too bad you can't get those videos from Netflicks!

Experience. I realize that not everyone has this - to be honest, it helps and hurts. I have used Server 2000 or 2003 since 2002 - not extensively, but at least on a regular basis. Also, I teach a class on server (as well as workstation and infrastructure) at a local college. The thing is the students are not preparing for the exams, so I am able to teach the material at a very basic level, because they are all pretty much walking in cold. The positive on teaching was it gave me an exposure to the entire range of the MCSA track. The negative is it was not nearly in-depth enough to prepare me for the exam. I mentioned this in another post - where I was shocked at the scope and depth of the material.
    I thought teaching the classes was going to be a one time thing, but the college decided they didn't have the enrollment in the program to justify a full time instructor, so they asked me back. On top of that the vocational computer program asked me to be on their advisory committee which includes advising on what certification track is best for students. These were the primary reasons that I was compelled to start the certification process for myself.

Up until 2 weeks before I took the exam, I was really struggling with some of the material. At some point, I think this past Sunday, the dam broke and all of the material made sense. I have heard of people struggling to learn a foreign language and then it seems like all at once they just get it. My advice to student who are suffering from frustration is to stick with it - you'll get it.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    RamsesKRamsesK Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Way to go man, and also that is a good score in your exam, congratulations!
    Formule One Racing Addict...
  • Options
    gomonngomonn Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man !!!! Told you icon_wink.gif
    Working on MCSA and CCNA
  • Options
    gomonngomonn Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hope u'r gonna keep going ?

OOOPPPPPPPPPSsssssssss ! 2 posts now
    Working on MCSA and CCNA
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    Grat's ! icon_cool.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    gomonn wrote:
    Hope u'r gonna keep going ?

Yes, I am looking to take the 70-270 on the 27th of this month. If that all goes well, it'll be on to the network plus just before Thanksgiving. Just after that I'll take a short break while my son is born - my wife's due date is December 5th. Then it's back to the books for 70-291 in late January. That will get me my MCSA - I am not sure where I am going to go from there.
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    icon_wink.gif
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )